RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

N_Oo_B

Jul 21, 2013, 6:14 AM
Post #1 of 23 (7949 views)
Shortcut

Why so low new posts?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Over the years of climbing I've frequented here. why such a low new post count now days? Economy got people doing different hobbies? Facebook ruining all forums now? what gives..

USnavy

Jul 21, 2013, 7:57 AM
Post #2 of 23 (7933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [N_Oo_B] Why so low new posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

N_Oo_B wrote:
Over the years of climbing I've frequented here. why such a low new post count now days? Economy got people doing different hobbies? Facebook ruining all forums now? what gives..
Because all anyone on rc.com does is talk shit, so no one visits the site anymore. The traffic on rc.com has dropped to 1/4th what it used to be whereas the traffic on mp.com has doubled. This 747 is flying on one engine nowadays.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jul 21, 2013, 7:59 AM)

Gmburns2000

Jul 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #3 of 23 (7827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Why so low new posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
N_Oo_B wrote:
Because all anyone on rc.com does is talk shit, so no one visits the site anymore. The traffic on rc.com has dropped to 1/4th what it used to be whereas the traffic on mp.com has doubled. This 747 is flying on one engine nowadays.

I know why he got 1 star ^^ there, but that's spot on.

Kartessa

Jul 21, 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #4 of 23 (7815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
N_Oo_B wrote:

And you're one of our favourite shit talkers

potreroed

Jul 22, 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #5 of 23 (7787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that these forums have been going for a long time and most subjects have been beaten to death.

Can you come up with something new to talk about besides the fact that nobody has anything new to talk about?

moose_droppings

Jul 22, 2013, 12:38 AM
Post #6 of 23 (7777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Why so low new posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that these forums have been going for a long time and most subjects have been beaten to death.

+1

I know I get tired of seeing thread after thread of "what size rope", or "what color fingernails for a hanging belay" and the full spectrum between the two.

There are also many threads in which the first 2 or 3 replies cover the just of the question adequately, then a slew of unneeded nuances (much like this) get tossed in that cloud the basic answer that the beginner was asking about to start with. From there it's 3 pages of downhill nitpicking, of which I'm guilty of at times too.

I'm working on it though.
Blush

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Jul 22, 2013, 12:42 AM)

USnavy

Jul 22, 2013, 5:30 AM
Post #7 of 23 (7719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:

Can you come up with something new to talk about besides the fact that nobody has anything new to talk about?
I am not sure that is it. That problem is common to almost any forum on the Internet. Scroll through a IT forum and see how many questions you can find involving "I got blue screen of death, what do I do?!?". Yet there are IT forums that get more new posts in 10 minutes than this site gets in a day.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jul 22, 2013, 5:31 AM)

curt

Jul 22, 2013, 5:22 PM
Post #8 of 23 (7611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
N_Oo_B wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. MP is a highly moderated forum and many people find that type of heavy-handed censorship undesirable. In reality, traffic on climbing boards seems to be a cyclical thing. First, all the "cool kids" posted on rec.climbing, then most of that traffic migrated here--now it seems to me that Supertopo gets the bulk of climbing discussion traffic. Increased use of Facebook may also have something to do with it, as many of my friends now use that forum for much of what they used RC.com for in the past.

Curt

ChaseLeoncini

Jul 22, 2013, 6:25 PM
Post #10 of 23 (7585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:

See it's this mentality that urks me. All the climbing information in the world is written somewhere, in some book, or perhaps lost in some aged climbing encyclopedia. We do not need forums for info but we choose to use them because, hell: its free, its fast, and it's generally correct most times. When it isnt, a consensus let's you know. This mentality of, "we've seen it before so its old, come up with something new!" is so elitist. The question doesn't make the person dumb or illiterate. We ask old questions to have them re-tailored to our current level of knowledge and to help us better understand certain theories involved. An actor can read all the books on acting in the world but that doesn't mean he does not need an acting coach. We ask to be helped personally. Do you go online to get diagnosed for an illness, or do you see a doc? It says what you have right there, why see the doc? Because you want it tailored.

It's your mentality that continues to drive people away. There are probably 1000's of users on RC that simply do not ask questions because people like you will give them crap like, "oh, here's another revived thread."

(This post was edited by ChaseLeoncini on Jul 22, 2013, 6:29 PM)

marc801

Jul 22, 2013, 7:26 PM
Post #12 of 23 (7557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems like there are plenty of new spam posts each day.

N_Oo_B

Jul 22, 2013, 8:05 PM
Post #13 of 23 (7535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Why so low new posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll take it as many are on different forums or facebook but I'll guess that there's a cycle as well. Idk if it's the economy or what but the local shops have seen a big trend in climbing gear sales in the last year or two. Trend being less gear sales.

bearbreeder

Jul 23, 2013, 12:28 AM
Post #14 of 23 (7473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

reddit Wink

potreroed

Jul 23, 2013, 1:23 AM
Post #15 of 23 (7464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChaseLeoncini] Why so low new posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

ChaseLeoncini wrote:
potreroed wrote:

See it's this mentality that urks me. All the climbing information in the world is written somewhere, in some book, or perhaps lost in some aged climbing encyclopedia. We do not need forums for info but we choose to use them because, hell: its free, its fast, and it's generally correct most times. When it isnt, a consensus let's you know. This mentality of, "we've seen it before so its old, come up with something new!" is so elitist. The question doesn't make the person dumb or illiterate. We ask old questions to have them re-tailored to our current level of knowledge and to help us better understand certain theories involved. An actor can read all the books on acting in the world but that doesn't mean he does not need an acting coach. We ask to be helped personally. Do you go online to get diagnosed for an illness, or do you see a doc? It says what you have right there, why see the doc? Because you want it tailored.

It's your mentality that continues to drive people away. There are probably 1000's of users on RC that simply do not ask questions because people like you will give them crap like, "oh, here's another revived thread."

You are totally wrong. I have been contributing to these forums since 2001, you've been on here for one month.

Neither my posts nor my actions are elitist. I've spent my life putting up routes that can be climbed every day by average week-end warriors and I always try to be helpful if I can on the RC forums.

(This post was edited by potreroed on Jul 23, 2013, 1:33 AM)

olderic

Jul 23, 2013, 2:40 AM
Post #16 of 23 (7437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

N_Oo_B wrote:

Quality of the content.

Partner macherry

Jul 23, 2013, 3:03 AM
Post #17 of 23 (7433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Why so low new posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
USnavy wrote:
N_Oo_B wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. MP is a highly moderated forum and many people find that type of heavy-handed censorship undesirable. In reality, traffic on climbing boards seems to be a cyclical thing. First, all the "cool kids" posted on rec.climbing, then most of that traffic migrated here--now it seems to me that Supertopo gets the bulk of climbing discussion traffic. Increased use of Facebook may also have something to do with it, as many of my friends now use that forum for much of what they used RC.com for in the past.

Curt

i think you're right curt. a lot of us use facebook for the social interaction that rc.com used to provide. community was the place to socialize. photos, tr's were also shared on the site. its now easier just to share that content with friends instead of a whole site.

skelldify

Jul 23, 2013, 3:15 AM
Post #18 of 23 (7432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I noticed traffic dropped off very suddenly a few months ago. Something to do with new owners of the site, or NO owners for the site? And I guess a lot of the moderators left.

ChaseLeoncini

Jul 23, 2013, 3:58 AM
Post #19 of 23 (7425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My apologies than. I was wrong to have jumped to a conclusion. Your post, however, still seems to portray that of an elitist mentality. We all start as "n00bs," and although many people continue to ask the same questions over and over we have only two worthwhile options: Give the most plucky smile possible and beat the already battered thread to a mere pulp, or simply say nothing at all. Im no Jesus myself but i try not give new guys too much of a hard time for asking really dumb questions. Someone put up with it for me.

Anyway, let's all just try not to fill up the threads with any more useless garbage that already litters the forums of Rc.

PS I see now that you have contributed quite a bit. Keep that up!

ncrockclimber

Jul 23, 2013, 6:29 AM
Post #20 of 23 (7395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed may be many things, but I don't think I would ever call him an elitist.

Chase, you should take a trip down to El Potrero Chico and climb some of his routes. At the end of the day, you can have a beer (or 4) with him and Tami. My guess is that your will have a totally different opinion of him and look at his posts in a totally different way.

ChaseLeoncini

Jul 23, 2013, 11:38 AM
Post #21 of 23 (7357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Why so low new posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, sounds good to me.

kriso9tails

Jul 26, 2013, 7:03 PM
Post #22 of 23 (7191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Give the most plucky smile possible and beat the already battered thread to a mere pulp, or simply say nothing at all.

Isn't the point of this thread (and what portreroed was explaining) is that many members have chosen the latter option?

papapetro

Jul 27, 2013, 2:36 AM
Post #23 of 23 (7138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Why so low new posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to think that everyone decided tying in was more fun than logging in. Happy climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook