RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

climb4free

Jul 25, 2013, 1:53 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3525 views)
Shortcut

A Jolt of life for the Online Climbing Community
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbing has always had a strong "community" feel. I've noticed a slow down for some really quality Climbing Sites.

Zapping some Life into the Online Climbing Community.

http://realworldclimbing.com/...bsite-defibrillator/

There are 3 steps inside that link that we can all do to encourage the continuation of quality climbing related content.

mojomonkey

Jul 25, 2013, 2:27 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb4free] A Jolt of life for the Online Climbing Community [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know what your blog says - little / unknown sites are default blocked by work filters. Regardless, I don't think community is best served by folks looking to promote their personal blogs, hoping to get views and comments on their personal site.

If you wanted to get some discussion going in this (rc.com) community, why not just post your thoughts here for discussion?

This forum/website is indeed in its death throes. If there were someone at the helm responding to feedback and generally caring for it, the site could be jolted back to life. Doesn't look to be the case here though.

mojomonkey

Jul 25, 2013, 2:39 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] A Jolt of life for the Online Climbing Community [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
I don't think community is best served by folks looking to promote their personal blogs, hoping to get views and comments on their personal site.

Though, if the blog is particularly bad (say written by a self-proclaimed guide with an overblown sense of importance?) that can promote community activity...

climb4free

Jul 25, 2013, 3:45 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mojomonkey,

I have actually read your reply here and have noted your feelings toward this "self-promoting" blogs.

And I understand the "work internet block" issue. Thank you for taking the time to make a judgment about this post before reading it to find that it is actually promoting OTHER peoples blogs that have great content.

I'm not going to say that I have never "self-promoted", but I don't care about views.

BTW: Who says that RC.com has to be in the "death throes". Maybe it just needs the Constructive part of Constructive Criticism.

ecade

Jul 25, 2013, 4:29 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climb4free wrote:
Mojomonkey,

BTW: Who says that RC.com has to be in the "death throes". Maybe it just needs the Constructive part of Constructive Criticism.

Too True.

mojomonkey

Jul 25, 2013, 4:46 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] A Jolt of life for the Online Climbing Community [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
climb4free wrote:
Mojomonkey,

Too True.

I didn't say it has to be in its death throes. I said it is. Peruse the Suggestions and Feedback forum. You'll note some "Constructive Criticism" (hey, random quotation marks and capitalization are pretty fun!) from a number of folks, myself included. Since they receive no response from anyone in charge and nothing changes, users give up and go elsewhere. Most won't even bother spending the time to make a suggestion in the first place. Not a lot of encouraging signs for the future there.

Here's hoping your blog will sort things out though; I'll even try to remember to read it tonight at home.

climb4free

Jul 25, 2013, 5:02 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
Most won't even bother spending the time to make a suggestion in the first place.

See, we are on the same page... and we didn't even know it. You just re-iterated my point. We could be best of friends at the crag.

iknowfear

Jul 25, 2013, 5:04 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
ecade wrote:
climb4free wrote:
Mojomonkey,

Too True.

I didn't say it has to be in its death throes. I said it is. Peruse the Suggestions and Feedback forum. You'll note some "Constructive Criticism" (hey, random quotation marks and capitalization are pretty fun!) from a number of folks, myself included. Since they receive no response from anyone in charge and nothing changes, users give up and go elsewhere. Most won't even bother spending the time to make a suggestion in the first place. Not a lot of encouraging signs for the future there.

Here's hoping your blog will sort things out though; I'll even try to remember to read it tonight at home.

compare the layout, content and news section here and say with ukclimbing.com . No wonder this site is going the way of the dodo..

jbone

Jul 25, 2013, 5:14 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Facebook page is 100x the climbing content/community that is here.

Why?!?

Because when you take out anonymity people are a hell of a lot more likely to provide useful and positive feedback as well as details about their exploits.

Why would anyone integrated into the climbing scene bother to post here when 95% of the replies are gonna be by some armchair climber who's looking for a distraction from their 40+ hr workweek.

This site serves the climber who has no connection to the climbing community of their own, sort of a booster seat for online info on climbing. With the exception of those who force the issue here, anybody with anything notable to say is not likely to put it out for the kind of response it garners here.

Perhaps if you created a friends list here so you can post and reply to just that group it would be more useful but Facebook already does that.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook