USnavy

Jul 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #1 of 8 (928 views)
Shortcut

It's now illegal not to have a job...
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://thinkprogress.org/...nalize-homelessness/

On the upside, I dont think homeless people exactly care. It is hard to be concerned with breaking the law when you dont really have anything to loose. Talk about making negative progress in America. I am glad to know the cops are keeping the real criminals off the street.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jul 25, 2013, 11:55 AM)

dr_feelgood

Jul 25, 2013, 8:40 PM
Post #2 of 8 (895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] It's now illegal not to have a job... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

On the upside, I dont think homeless people exactly care. It is hard to be concerned with breaking the law when you dont really have anything to loose. Talk about making negative progress in America. I am glad to know the cops are keeping the real criminals off the street.

Vagrancy laws are a time-honored tradition within the capitalist economic paradigm.

veganclimber

Jul 26, 2013, 3:48 PM
Post #3 of 8 (877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] It's now illegal not to have a job... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It costs over $30,000 a year to keep somebody in prison. It would be cheaper to build more homeless shelters, or maybe ever try to solve the problem by actually helping the people get jobs. I'm pretty sure their only real goal here is to drive them out of the city and let somebody else deal with them.

USnavy

Jul 28, 2013, 6:59 PM
Post #4 of 8 (850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] It's now illegal not to have a job... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
It costs over $30,000 a year to keep somebody in prison. It would be cheaper to build more homeless shelters, or maybe ever try to solve the problem by actually helping the people get jobs. I'm pretty sure their only real goal here is to drive them out of the city and let somebody else deal with them.
Actually I am confident this came as a result of for-profit jail lobbyists saying that we need to clean up our streets to keep the good middle-class citizens safe from the criminal dirtbags, and of course none of it has anything to do with for-profit jails trying to squeeze every dollar from the taxpayers.

chadnsc

Jul 29, 2013, 5:37 PM
Post #5 of 8 (821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course these for profit jails must also run the court systems and judges that hand out the sentences.

veganclimber

Jul 29, 2013, 6:16 PM
Post #6 of 8 (818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] It's now illegal not to have a job... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ids_for_cash_scandal

In reply to:
The "kids for cash" scandal unfolded in 2008 over judicial kickbacks at the Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Two judges, President Judge Mark Ciavarella and Senior Judge Michael Conahan, were accused of accepting money from Robert Mericle, builder of two private, for-profit juvenile facilities, in return for contracting with the facilities and imposing harsh sentences on juveniles brought before their courts to increase the number of inmates in the detention centers.[1][2]

For example, Ciavarella sentenced children to extended stays in juvenile detention for offenses as minimal as mocking a principal on Myspace, trespassing in a vacant building, and shoplifting DVDs from Wal-mart.

An extreme case, but I doubt it's the only one.

donald949

Jul 30, 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #7 of 8 (808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

[quote} “storing personal property in public.”Reads to me, you can't park your car on the street either. Jess saying.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 24, 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #8 of 8 (690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] It's now illegal not to have a job... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Of course these for profit jails must also run the court systems and judges that hand out the sentences.

Actually, the law would manage that aspect for the court systems. I would concur that it was for-profit prison lobbyists that worked to get this and similar laws on the books. The for-profit prison system is a scheme to milk the government of money.

If you think their income is based solely on working prisoners at sub-market legal wages, you would be incorrect. They do earn in that capacity, but the basis behind the increased prison population is that the prisons receive a stipend for housing the prisoners from "overcrowded" state and county facilities.

For-profit prisons are often backed with investments by very well-known names, and they need to perform. There's really only so much prison labor one can farm out, especially in times when middle class white people are struggling to remain employed. An easy way to increase those profit numbers is to increase the population, simple as that.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)
$19.76 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook