RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mtnclimber07

Jul 25, 2013, 8:59 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2055 views)
Shortcut

shoe question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys, I'm new here. Nice to meet everyone! So long story short, a while back I started to get into climbing, I got some gear and climbing got put off for the last 4 or 5 years. A total dagger to my soul, which has been craving it!

So when I got my gear I purchased a pair of Monotrail CTX Wasabi's and they stayed in the bag with other gear. there seems to be a bit of peeling and I wanted to know from you experts what your opinion is on these images. do they need cleaning, are they unsafe or totally usable?

Thanks for the thoughts and input!
oh, and also since the monotrail ctx has some kind of a "baking" feature where heat molds it to the shape of your foot, I'm probably going to want to reset the mold if possible. is it?

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/twisteddark/media/image6.jpeg.html]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/twisteddark/media/image5.jpeg.html]

acorneau

Jul 25, 2013, 9:38 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnclimber07] shoe question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The rubber is delaminating; could be because of the age, could be because of where you stored them (inside, garage, car trunk?).

If it was me, I would just climb on them with the idea that they'll probably need to be replaced a lot sooner than a nice fresh pair might last.

You could always talk to a local cobbler about gluing back down the parts that are delam'ing but I wouldn't put too much faith in that avenue.

Good luck.

brinosaur

Jul 26, 2013, 3:41 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] shoe question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Judging from the photos, the toes look fine. If only the heel is delaminating, you'll have no problems on routes/problems that don't require lots of heavy duty heel hooking. Use 'em til they fall apart and get another cheap pair

You can always reduce the rate of delamination by gluing the loose spots in place with a flexible rubber adhesive. However, once the rubber around the toe area starts to peel and separate, the shoes will be done.

mtnclimber07

Jul 26, 2013, 5:17 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brinosaur] shoe question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great! Thanks guys. I asked a guy at the local earth treks gym and he told me the same thing. Delamination, which sucks because i've only used the shoes 3 times since I bought them. Told me I could probably get a year and a half outta them, which works for me lol.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook