RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

RomanG1

Jul 26, 2013, 4:46 PM
Post #1 of 9 (13804 views)
Shortcut

Favorite Alpine Trad Draw Carabiner / Thick rope small biner
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just curious what are peoples favorite carabiners for alpine / trad draws? Seems like solid gates are becoming obsolete and replaced with wire gates today.

Most of my trad draws are basically Mammut 8mm Dyneema with BD OZ on one end and BD Hotwire wiregate on the other.

My curious nature seems to wonder, what could be the disadvantages of using small biners, like the BD OZ with a ticker rope on an apline draw? I know OZ is a full strenght biner and i am not worried about it failing(provided loaded correcly), but would you say a smaller biner is more likely to become unclipped vs say a bigger binner like Hotwire? Just thinking outloud.

Im assuming, the Best way would be to clip the smaller biner into the sling on a cam (ex. BD OZ) and a bigger biner gets clipped with a rope(ex. BD Hotwire) for its got more room for rope to move around in?

I guess it comes down to, does a carabiner with a smaller inner openning/diameter provide any advantages or disadvantages when clipping into rope or gear vs a bigger binner?

Maybe im just worrying about nothing really.

Thanks as always

Roman

acorneau

Jul 26, 2013, 5:00 PM
Post #2 of 9 (13796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RomanG1] Favorite Alpine Trad Draw Carabiner / Thick rope small biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use BW Titan slings and (mostly) CAMP Nanos and a few Trango Superfly wiregates, but then I don't make them into "trad draws" and prefer to leave them as open slings.

For me, the Nano is the smallest biner I use for general purpose duty like open slings. I have some FS minis but they're for cam racking only. I also like Neutrinos for a small-but-managable general purpose biner.

ChalkIsCheap

Jul 26, 2013, 5:13 PM
Post #3 of 9 (13794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RomanG1] Favorite Alpine Trad Draw Carabiner / Thick rope small biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RomanG1 wrote:
Just curious what are peoples favorite carabiners for alpine / trad draws? Seems like solid gates are becoming obsolete and replaced with wire gates today.

Most of my trad draws are basically Mammut 8mm Dyneema with BD OZ on one end and BD Hotwire wiregate on the other.

My curious nature seems to wonder, what could be the disadvantages of using small biners, like the BD OZ with a ticker rope on an apline draw? I know OZ is a full strenght biner and i am not worried about it failing(provided loaded correcly), but would you say a smaller biner is more likely to become unclipped vs say a bigger binner like Hotwire? Just thinking outloud.

Im assuming, the Best way would be to clip the smaller biner into the sling on a cam (ex. BD OZ) and a bigger biner gets clipped with a rope(ex. BD Hotwire) for its got more room for rope to move around in?

I guess it comes down to, does a carabiner with a smaller inner openning/diameter provide any advantages or disadvantages when clipping into rope or gear vs a bigger binner?

Maybe im just worrying about nothing really.

Thanks as always

Roman
All my draws are Red Wild Country Heliums on the gear end and Grey Wild Country Nitro's on the rope end. The Heliums are notchless and don't get hung up on gear. and the wire gate on the nitro has a wider profile that accepts rope easier.

With the hotwire at 37g and the OZ at 28g they are only 1g lighter then the WC biners at 33g a peice. The WC's both have a gate clearance of 2.7 rather then the 2.5 of the hotwire and the 2.2 of the OZ. I put a lot of thought into my draws and am happy with how they perform.

shimanilami

Jul 26, 2013, 8:25 PM
Post #4 of 9 (13759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Heliums, hotwires, superflies, nanos ... when you're talking about using them in trad draws or with open slings, they're all the same. I buy what's on sale.

If you're talking about quick draws, then the gate size actually matters IMO. I don't do quickdraws with small biners.

meanandugly

Jul 26, 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #5 of 9 (13726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Omega Dovals on the gear side and Omega JC's on the rope end (JC's aren't made anymore)

RomanG1

Jul 30, 2013, 2:42 PM
Post #6 of 9 (13655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] Favorite Alpine Trad Draw Carabiner / Thick rope small biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys. Guess it doesnt matter all that much.

What about clipping into your pro racking biner? If the line is fairly straight up and there is no need to extend with draws or slings (imagine straight up crack) do you clip into a racking biner? I always see people extending pro with alpine draws even on straight up climbs, does anyone actually clip into the racking carabiner?

acorneau

Jul 30, 2013, 3:07 PM
Post #7 of 9 (13640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RomanG1 wrote:
Thanks guys. Guess it doesnt matter all that much.

What about clipping into your pro racking biner? If the line is fairly straight up and there is no need to extend with draws or slings (imagine straight up crack) do you clip into a racking biner? I always see people extending pro with alpine draws even on straight up climbs, does anyone actually clip into the racking carabiner?

Sure, I'll clip directly into a cam's biner if things are in a straight line (like following a main crack). Nuts always get a sling of some sort (many people use a quickdraw, I use a 12" sling).

If you know the climb you can judge when to extend a placement or not. If you're on a new climb and don't really know where it's going then it's safer to add a potentially unnecessarily sling than to end up with heinous rope drag or dislodging the placements.

Partner climbinginchico

Aug 4, 2013, 3:11 AM
Post #8 of 9 (13490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use CAMP photon wiregate biners on both ends- straight gate for the pro side and bent wire gate on the rope end. The colors are different too, and REI had them on sale for under $6 each, so I bought a bunch and my rack lost pounds when I went that route vs my old hotwires, and upgraded the hotwires on my cams to nano23's.

mikebee

Aug 4, 2013, 11:38 PM
Post #9 of 9 (13425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinginchico] Favorite Alpine Trad Draw Carabiner / Thick rope small biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On my long draws (trad draws) I have Spirits on top, and Heliums on the bottom, this is because we have quite a few carrot bolts where we climb, so a solid top biner is much safer.

If I was to replace them, or buy some more, I'd be getting either DMM Phantoms (what my quick draws for trad are) or DMM Alpha Lights, which might be getting a touch heavier, but are ligher than the Heliums.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook