Forums: Climbing Information: Accident and Incident Analysis:
two climber fell 30 feet in gym
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

 


majid_sabet


Jul 27, 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4328 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8346

two climber fell 30 feet in gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The two climbers, ages 18 and 19, were both employees of the gym. Neither were working at the time of the accident, the statement said.

The two were practicing an advanced climbing technique involving rappelling when the accident occurred. They were both taken by ambulance to OU Medical Center and admitted.


http://newsok.com/...orts/article/3866827


dancottle


Jul 28, 2013, 9:55 AM
Post #2 of 15 (4217 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 24, 2009
Posts: 41

Re: [majid_sabet] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sounds like a simultaneous rappel?


alec123


Aug 8, 2013, 3:46 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3831 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 8, 2013
Posts: 2

Re: [majid_sabet] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

i head they were bad ass, and the fact that they walked it of means they are bad ass.


curt


Aug 8, 2013, 8:20 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3766 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18227

Re: [majid_sabet] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rocktown management thinks the fall was because of human error.

This sounds fairly likely.

Curt


shockabuku


Aug 9, 2013, 6:27 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3683 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4856

Re: [majid_sabet] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I guess it's good they weren't practicing it at the top of a 100 foot cliff.


shimanilami


Aug 9, 2013, 1:03 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3591 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 24, 2006
Posts: 2043

Re: [majid_sabet] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think you need to follow up on this, Majid. Perhaps they could use some of your SAR training.


majid_sabet


Aug 9, 2013, 3:02 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3568 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8346

Re: [shimanilami] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
I think you need to follow up on this, Majid. Perhaps they could use some of your SAR training.

this jokers can't even rap from a 30 foot gym wall. they will be disaster in real world


willwill


Aug 9, 2013, 5:56 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3528 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 30, 2009
Posts: 31

Re: [majid_sabet] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can assure you that both climbers are experienced and safe, and they both excel at climbing in the "real world". This incident is hardly different from John Long's gym incident where he forgot to finish tying his knot. The community seemed to be much more sympathetic on that thread and that is where I found this post by Curt.

curt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Best to him on his recovery.

Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone.

rgold has posted on this topic several times and it bears repeating. If you climb long enough, you will make some careless mistakes. The ONLY difference is that some of us manage to get away with these mistakes while others do not. If you do not fully embrace this concept, you are probably an excellent candidate to get your very own thread in this forum.

Curt

Instead of using this as a chance to put down two young, bright climbers who can't defend them selves right now, why don't you use this as a reminder to double check all of you systems, not to take your routines for granted, and to consider yourself lucky every time you catch one of your own mistakes before it gets you hurt of killed.

Will


(This post was edited by willwill on Aug 9, 2013, 5:58 PM)


shockabuku


Aug 9, 2013, 6:06 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4856

Re: [willwill] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

willwill wrote:
I can assure you that both climbers are experienced and safe, and they both excel at climbing in the "real world". This incident is hardly different from John Long's gym incident where he forgot to finish tying his knot. The community seemed to be much more sympathetic on that thread and that is where I found this post by Curt.

curt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Best to him on his recovery.

Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone.

rgold has posted on this topic several times and it bears repeating. If you climb long enough, you will make some careless mistakes. The ONLY difference is that some of us manage to get away with these mistakes while others do not. If you do not fully embrace this concept, you are probably an excellent candidate to get your very own thread in this forum.

Curt

Instead of using this as a chance to put down two young, bright climbers who can't defend them selves right now, why don't you use this as a reminder to double check all of you systems, not to take your routines for granted, and to consider yourself lucky every time you catch one of your own mistakes before it gets you hurt of killed.

Will

Clearly they weren't safe; let's hope they are now and yes, use this as a reminder to check your shit.


alec123


Aug 24, 2013, 3:20 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 8, 2013
Posts: 2

Re: [majid_sabet] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

i like how you call can me a joker im glad that you have no clue of any of my accomplishments.im all so glad you feel like im a stupid kid who does not know any thing. thank you for knowing me so well


shockabuku


Aug 24, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4856

Re: [alec123] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

alec123 wrote:
i like how you call can me a joker im glad that you have no clue of any of my accomplishments.im all so glad you feel like im a stupid kid who does not know any thing. thank you for knowing me so well

It is the impression you're leaving us with.


Syd


Aug 24, 2013, 4:42 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2012
Posts: 300

Re: [alec123] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

alec123 wrote:
i head they were bad ass, and the fact that they walked it of means they are bad ass.

In a gym !? More likely a sign of their ignorance.


shimanilami


Aug 24, 2013, 5:43 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3100 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 24, 2006
Posts: 2043

Re: [alec123] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

alec123 wrote:
i like how you call can me a joker im glad that you have no clue of any of my accomplishments.im all so glad you feel like im a stupid kid who does not know any thing. thank you for knowing me so well

Majid said the guys who had a ground fall from 30ft while practicing in a gym were "jokers". (I would have called them shit-for-brains posers; alas, I don't possess Majid's tact.)

Are you claiming to be one of these people?


majid_sabet


Aug 24, 2013, 8:22 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3058 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8346

Re: [alec123] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

alec123 wrote:
i like how you call can me a joker im glad that you have no clue of any of my accomplishments.im all so glad you feel like im a stupid kid who does not know any thing. thank you for knowing me so well

would you explain to us what happened and how two of you (according to local news) fell 30 feet inside your local gym.


shimanilami


Aug 27, 2013, 8:12 AM
Post #15 of 15 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 24, 2006
Posts: 2043

Re: [willwill] two climber fell 30 feet in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

willwill - do you know what actually happened? If so, can you fill us in?


Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)
$14.58 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$8.55 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook