Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
using Negative in training for hypertrophy?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

5.samadhi

Jul 27, 2013, 3:50 PM
Post #1 of 3 (984 views)
Shortcut

using Negative in training for hypertrophy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anybody experimented with using eccentric training for hypertrophy on hangboards, such as doing eccentrics with pullups (weighted).

You can typically use a greater load during the eccentric phase of a lift compared to regular concentric/eccentric lifting. I notice I can use about 20lb greater given the same time under tension during weighted pullups (note not the same number of reps since I typically perform the weighted pullup negatives with a slower negative cadence and zero concentric lifting up cadence obviously).

Anybody have any experience with this training strategy?

5.samadhi

Jul 31, 2013, 5:52 AM
Post #2 of 3 (817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [5.samadhi] using Negative in training for hypertrophy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anybody? There is solid scientific evidence to suggest that if hypertrophy is your goal then this is the route to go.

Its quite easy to get to the 'up' position on a hangboard if you have it mounted on a wall. Just install a footchip and use your foot to assist the up portion (concentric) of the pullup. Then remove your foot and hang BW+weights you have attached and slowly (4-6 seconds) lower. If you do that for 1 minute to 1:30 then I very surely tell you that your muscles will grow (if you're adding weight). That is if hypertrophy is your GOAL (it is for me atm).

Scientific evidence suggest that 60 seconds of time under tension is required for maximum hypertrophy. If you shoot over 1 minute a bit that is fine since there is time in this process of the up portion that your muscles really arent under the actual load you're lifting. Any more than 60 seconds of time under tension and you start to limit the hypertrophy actually (by decreasing activation of the mTOR pathway if we want to get technical).

5.samadhi

Jul 31, 2013, 5:53 AM
Post #3 of 3 (815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [5.samadhi] using Negative in training for hypertrophy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to add, this won't hypertrophy your forearm muscles obviously...although it will work them I doubt many advanced climbers would see much growth from this. This is for lats, rear delts, pecs, biceps, rhomboids, traps, etc.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook