Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gdog42

Jul 3, 2013, 5:26 PM
Post #26 of 39 (11600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] [ClimbX] Cracked hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
do you own climb X shoes?

they last longer than my sportivas

Wink

Nope, but I know a guy who did. His lasted about 2 months. I used to have a pair of Mad Rock shoes for about a year; the only reason I replaced them was because I decided I needed something smaller that would be better for edging.

Which La Sportiva shoes do you have? I find it interesting that your Climb-X shoes lasted longer.

bearbreeder

Jul 3, 2013, 5:52 PM
Post #27 of 39 (11589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gdog42] [ClimbX] Cracked hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gdog42 wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Wink

Nope, but I know a guy who did. His lasted about 2 months. I used to have a pair of Mad Rock shoes for about a year; the only reason I replaced them was because I decided I needed something smaller that would be better for edging.

Which La Sportiva shoes do you have? I find it interesting that your Climb-X shoes lasted longer.

the time it last is irrelevant, its the USE that matters .. ive worn out katanas in a month climbing 10+ pitches a day 6 days a week

my climbX drifters dont have the delamination problem that MANY sportivas suffer and are well known for ...

i suggest you go climb in something before you call em cr@p

i know a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who had no real experience with ACME shoes, but he said he knew a roadrunner who had a pair but they failed ... as a consequence the roadrunner was eaten by a coyote ...

so they MUST suck

Tongue

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Jul 3, 2013, 5:54 PM)

Gdog42

Jul 3, 2013, 5:58 PM
Post #28 of 39 (11584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] [ClimbX] Cracked hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
You're a fucking idiot. I don't use and won't use climb-x or madrock gear, but at least get the story straight before you make up a bunch of shit based on some baseless assumptions. Without rehashing all the details, madrock moved to a new manufacturing plant, and the old plant that was making all of madrock's acceptable continued to make the same products with a different name printed on them. This isn't the same as what you are accusing them of.

redlude97 wrote:
You're a fucking idiot. I don't use and won't use climb-x or madrock gear, but at least get the story straight before you make up a bunch of shit based on some baseless assumptions. Without rehashing all the details, madrock moved to a new manufacturing plant, and the old plant that was making all of madrock's acceptable continued to make the same products with a different name printed on them. This isn't the same as what you are accusing them of.

That would make sense too. So they're just a bargain brand? Did not think of that, but could you give me any official information? A link or something? I would appreciate that.

If you do, I may consider buying you something useful such as a roll of paper towels.
Or some zip-lock bags? Whichever you prefer...

(You ruined my awesome post and now it is no good for convincing people not to buy potentially dangerous Climb-X gear, so I deleted it before anyone had a chance to quote the damn thing! I hope you're proud of yourself- that thing took me five whole minutes to assume* and type! Wink)

*Except for the part about the shoes not lasting very long. And the bagel. That bagel was nice!

(This post was edited by Gdog42 on Jul 3, 2013, 6:07 PM)

Gdog42

Jul 3, 2013, 6:10 PM
Post #29 of 39 (11577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] [ClimbX] Cracked hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
Gdog42 wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Wink

the time it last is irrelevant, its the USE that matters .. ive worn out katanas in a month climbing 10+ pitches a day 6 days a week

my climbX drifters dont have the delamination problem that MANY sportivas suffer and are well known for ...

i suggest you go climb in something before you call em cr@p

i know a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who had no real experience with ACME shoes, but he said he knew a roadrunner who had a pair but they failed ... as a consequence the roadrunner was eaten by a coyote ...

so they MUST suck

[image]http://oi42.tinypic.com/6j3wo4.jpg
[/image]
Tongue

Yeah I must admit you're right about this. Isn't me who used them so that wasn't really a fair observation. Maybe who climbed more aggressive rock? Maybe he climbed more often? Maybe both? I only climbed with him one a week and I was sure that was the only day he did, but I could be wrong here.
I'll ask him next time I see him for ya. I'll post on here if I find out.

Holy crap I need a new profile picture. What the heck is thing? I don't remember; it was a while ago. Let's have a look...

....oh yeah, THAT thing. Unimpressed

(This post was edited by Gdog42 on Jul 3, 2013, 6:13 PM)

zaza

Aug 2, 2013, 7:59 AM
Post #30 of 39 (11402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8styx8] [ClimbX] Cracked hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Something similar happened twice in Colombia. In 2 different climbing areas. Also ClimbX hangers.

(Spanish) https://www.facebook.com/...mp;type=1&ref=nf

Appelkoos

Aug 2, 2013, 9:22 AM
Post #31 of 39 (11387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zaza] [ClimbX] Cracked hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Zaza,

Thanks for the update. It seems that there is a batch (or possibly an entire range) of defective ClimbX hangars.

All the cracked hangars from Singapore have been sent to Climb-X, who don't appear to have responded this far. Either they haven't tested them, or they aren't publicising the results of the test.

Would it be possible to get some of the Columbian hangars tested by someone other than Climb-X? (Perhaps the UIAA would be appropriate here). It'd be good to know what's going on with these hangars.

Wishing everyone out there a safe weekend,

zaza

Aug 14, 2013, 6:23 AM
Post #32 of 39 (11229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The broken hanger was sent to the distributor store in Colombia and they sent it to Climb-X. Now there is a recall for all the Climb-X's hangers distributed in the 2012 and part of the 2013. So if you take those hangers to their stores they change it for a new one for free.

In the recall it says that the hangers from "that" batch can fail if they are in contact with "some kind of rocks or bolts materials".

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=1&theater

(This post was edited by zaza on Aug 14, 2013, 6:53 AM)

shotwell

Aug 14, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #33 of 39 (11178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zaza wrote:
The broken hanger was sent to the distributor store in Colombia and they sent it to Climb-X. Now there is a recall for all the Climb-X's hangers distributed in the 2012 and part of the 2013. So if you take those hangers to their stores they change it for a new one for free.

In the recall it says that the hangers from "that" batch can fail if they are in contact with "some kind of rocks or bolts materials".

This facebook post is the only recall announcement I can find. Is there any statement publicly available from ClimbX?

Appelkoos

Aug 15, 2013, 7:16 AM
Post #34 of 39 (11121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] [ClimbX] Cracked hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, nothing yet on the official Climb-X website (isn't that reassuring!). That's about the standard I've come to expect from them.

8styx8

Aug 15, 2013, 8:45 AM
Post #35 of 39 (11113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zaza wrote:

This seems to suggest that only those are recalled. If I remember correctly, hangers that was used in singapore and malaysia number less than 100, nowhere near the number sold/distributed in Colombia.

And as per apricot, there is no official recall announcement from ClimbX. This is disappointing and DANGEROUS

amarius

May 6, 2014, 7:32 PM
Post #36 of 39 (10069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing.com posted a decent overview of corrosion in climbing hardware: Built to Last? The Hidden Dangers Of Climbing Bolts

Gmburns2000

May 7, 2014, 2:04 PM
Post #37 of 39 (10020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] [ClimbX] Cracked hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amarius wrote:
Climbing.com posted a decent overview of corrosion in climbing hardware: Built to Last? The Hidden Dangers Of Climbing Bolts

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I think the biggest takeaway from it is that there is no standard operating procedure. While I'm not sure if consensus it the right approach, I think it's useful for local organizations to get together and lay out which bolts are ideal for which areas based on conditions. Here's hoping that develops over time. Here's also hoping associations don't become so involved as to stunt creativity as well.

8styx8

Aug 6, 2014, 5:22 PM
Post #38 of 39 (9439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another ClimbX hanger incident, in Colombia. This time it broke under climber weight.

LINK: http://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/comments/2crcmq/we_almost_got_killed_by_a_climbx_bolt/

Partner cracklover

Aug 6, 2014, 5:59 PM
Post #39 of 39 (9429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8styx8 wrote:
Another ClimbX hanger incident, in Colombia. This time it broke under climber weight.

LINK: http://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/comments/2crcmq/we_almost_got_killed_by_a_climbx_bolt/

Wow. I can't say I'm surprised, but really, that sucks. I'd like to see ClimbX do a massive recall on those bad hangers, but we all know that's not likely to happen.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook