Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Guide Needed
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

najmah

Aug 3, 2013, 1:47 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Guide Needed  (North_America: Canada: Quebec: Outaouais: Greater_Gatineau: Lac_Beauchamp)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hello! I will be climbing in Gatineau Park from August 11th-15th, and am new to outdoor climbing. Are there usually a lot of people there climbing that could show me the ropes if needed?

-Sarah

meanandugly

Aug 3, 2013, 2:44 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [najmah] Guide Needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

najmah wrote:
Hello! I will be climbing in Gatineau Park from August 11th-15th, and am new to outdoor climbing. Are there usually a lot of people there climbing that could show me the ropes if needed?

-Sarah

No! The general rule of thumb is that the people who will be out climbing are there for their own climbing. Generally if some one is in need of help climbers will help, but if you want to go climbing take some courses, go out with an experienced friend, or hire a guide to take you out.

Partner blazesod

Aug 4, 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] Guide Needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, if you were going to spend some time camping in Joshua Tree (indian cove), or Yosemite Valley (camp 4) you could bring your own gear and there will be no shortage of other climbers willing to introduce you to the sport.

edit: I'm suggesting you visit someplace similar to the ones I mentioned. In case something was lost in translation.

(This post was edited by blazesod on Aug 5, 2013, 11:07 PM)

Kartessa

Aug 5, 2013, 2:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blazesod] Guide Needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

blazesod wrote:
So, if you were going to spend some time camping in Joshua Tree (indian cove), or Yosemite Valley (camp 4) you could bring your own gear and there will be no shortage of other climbers willing to introduce you to the sport.

Yeah... because Gatineau Park is the Camp 4 of Canada...

dagibbs

Aug 5, 2013, 4:50 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [najmah] Guide Needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Sarah,

The Lac Beauchamp area that you have commented on this from is mostly bouldering. (And, not actually in Gatineau park.)

Most of the actual, roped, climbing is in the Luskville area, farther west along the southern edge of the park.

For roped climbing, on nice weekend days, there's generally a few people around most of the cliffs -- but they're almost always climbing with their own friends, rather than looking to climb with someone they don't know, or who is new to the area.

Are you alone? If so, finding someone to climb with during the week may be difficult. Most of us are working stiffs.

For Sunday, the 11th, if the weather is any good, I'll likely be heading out climbing, probably with a few friends. You would be welcome to join us for that day. Drop me a PM or email me at gibbs_da at yahoo dot ca for more information.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook