RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Cyu

Aug 4, 2013, 8:19 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4498 views)
Shortcut

Nutrition, Training, supplements?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everybody

I am climbing for 5 years now. When i started i got hooked right away. I train about 4-5 times a week (mostly indoor). Lately i startet getting problems with my fingerjoints and progressing is getting harder and harder. I try to eat as good as possible to help me get better. I eat a lot of nuts, fruits, vegetables, chicken, cheese and fish. I read alot that omega 3 fats, vitamin c and e are essential.

Are there any supplements that help regenerating in general, or support for regeneration after sport? There are so many articles pros and cons. Normally im straight against such stuff, but i d like to know what other climbers eat or take to get better or help prevent injury. i Read alot about Glucosamin/Chondroitin. On many other forums they said it helps, but many also said it is just a placebo so i have no idea what to think

thanks in advance

5.samadhi

Aug 5, 2013, 2:14 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Cyu] Nutrition, Training, supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what about human growth hormone?

That is supposedly one of the only compounds proven to regenerate cartilage, collagen, and other connective tissue.

Glucosamine has never been proven to actually help anybody.

(This post was edited by 5.samadhi on Aug 5, 2013, 2:15 PM)

jbrown2

Aug 5, 2013, 7:22 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tequila, Beer and Coffee.

But honestly your muscles adapt and become stronger much much faster than your joints tendons and ligaments. Muscles will adapt and become stronger in about a week. Joints and the such take about 6 months to make any serious gains. This is why you see so many injuries with new (id say under 5 years) climbers who are getting so strong so fast but they dont have a good solid base of tendon and joint strength.

If you are in climbing for short term goals just climb through the pain. If you want to climb for a while, listen to your body, slow down, get a good base in the next 6-8 months of endurance and core strengths and technique and then restart the power building process.

You wont loose much in the way of performance and you will gain general fitness for climbing.

Tequila helps too.

Cyu

Aug 5, 2013, 7:57 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbrown2] Nutrition, Training, supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks you very much jbrown2

Now i know i am on the right way. I do not need to get better fast, i take my time. I already fractured my clavicle seriously. It needs way more time to get good again. I try to train more endurance and once in a while i go for the limit. But mostly i climb many hours on easier things and try to improve technic and flexibility aswell. Good to know im doing the right thing. I want go climb my whole live and as long as i can :).

Thanks for your post, you really pushed my spirit again!

UAphenix

Aug 22, 2013, 7:56 PM
Post #5 of 5 (4002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think you would benefit from a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supp, the MSM is critical in the mix. It's not going to be a miracle, where you take it and the next day you feel great. Its one of those supps where you don't realize how much it's helping until you stop taking it and you start feeling those joint aches. I think other supps that reduce inflammation, like cissus to be helpful.

For recovery, I think you might want to look into protein supplements and even Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs). Both helped me quite a bit.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook