RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

mrronoah

Aug 16, 2013, 4:54 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1418 views)
Shortcut

Training at home?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so I'm gonna get the "go climbing more" comments out of the way by saying that the closest gym to be is an hour and a half away by train and I go as often as I can (Monday, Friday and possibly a day on the weekend).

Ok so I am wondering how I can build a small bouldering wall or something similar. I am good at building stuff but not so great at designing it. I have looked around and I can see examples of things people have made but no actual design stuff. It has to be free standing and moveable, similar to brewers ledge boulderboard. Anyone know how I can make something like this?

(This post was edited by mrronoah on Aug 16, 2013, 5:10 AM)

lena_chita

Aug 16, 2013, 5:05 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrronoah] Training at home? Build a bouldering wall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Small bouldering walls are rarely worth it. If you are able to go to the gym 3 times a week, that's pretty good, as long as you maximize your time there.

If I were to build something at home, I would keep it to just a small mounting area for 2-3 different hangboards, and a campus board, so you could do that kind of training at home, without driving 1.5 hrs each way.

mrronoah

Aug 16, 2013, 5:15 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Training at home? Build a bouldering wall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
If I were to build something at home, I would keep it to just a small mounting area for 2-3 different hangboards, and a campus board, so you could do that kind of training at home, without driving 1.5 hrs each way.
How could I build it? The only way I could put up a hangboard is on a similar structure to what I described. Very interested in making a campus board but I'm a little nervous as to how durable it would be.

lena_chita

Aug 16, 2013, 5:26 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrronoah wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
How could I build it? The only way I could put up a hangboard is on a similar structure to what I described. Very interested in making a campus board but I'm a little nervous as to how durable it would be.

Hangboard can go over a doorframe, you don't really need to build anything for it, but you can consolidate it with the campus board.

This tells you how to build a version of campus board:
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/campusboard.html

But you can be creative:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/...VL2s/s1600/board.jpg

danabart

Aug 16, 2013, 5:28 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrronoah] Training at home? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a small bouldering wall for years, and if you are creative and disciplined it can very, very helpful. They are very simple to build, as well.
Certainly, there are limitations to a small woodie, but the limitations are more perceived than actual and although a gym or the rock is preferable, a bouldering wall is much, much more versatile than a campus board or a hangboard. Also, the bouldering wall can be used as a hangboard - that's what I do.

mrronoah

Aug 16, 2013, 9:22 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Training at home? Build a bouldering wall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Hangboard can go over a doorframe, you don't really need to build anything for it, but you can consolidate it with the campus board.
I would have to, theres no way my mum would let me drill holes in the wall haha. I also looked at getting the blank slate but couldnt find one in Australia.
danabart wrote:
I've had a small bouldering wall for years, and if you are creative and disciplined it can very, very helpful. They are very simple to build, as well.
How did you build yours?

5.samadhi

Aug 17, 2013, 7:18 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check your private messages

danabart

Aug 17, 2013, 3:00 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How did you build yours?

2x 3s, plywood, drywall screws. I don't have any carpentry skills, but they aren't needed - it's simple construction and there are examples circulating around the internet. I'm not avoiding you question, but it really is quite easy. Mine is free standing - they don't have to be attached to anything to be stable.
As far as size of the wall. Malcolm Smith trained for the second ascent of Hubble using a tiny litte wall in his bedroom, Dave McLeod's wall (Pictures on his blog) is not that big, and there are lots of mortals such as you and I that have used very small home woodies with excellent results. Better than a gym or the rock? No, not all. Better than hangboard or a campus board? Absolutely.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook