RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

marshallgeo5

Aug 27, 2013, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Top Rope Anchors (again and again)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've set up a few top ropes now and am feeling comfortable with my set up, but while I was playing frisbee golf the other day, I found an awesome looking 30 foot cliff (yup...30 feet is as good as it gets in this neck of the woods). Basically, the set-up is that I have one giant tree. It's about 3-4 feet wide and 40 feet tall and is located about 2 feet from the cliff edge. There's no other tree nearby, but this tree looks bomber.

I just want to know what the best way to set up an anchor is on a tree like this? My first thought was to use my 11mm static, tie a bowline+grapevine in one end around the tree, then dangle 2 fig 8s on bites over the edge (padded), and then take the other end and just do another bowline+grapevine.

The tree ethicist in me plans to throw some towels between the rope and the tree, but how would you all set this top rope scenario up? I have an 80 foot static, 30 feet of 1" military spec webbing, and some locking biners.

(This post was edited by marshallgeo5 on Aug 27, 2013, 8:23 PM)

lkeegan

Aug 27, 2013, 8:28 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marshallgeo5] Top Rope Anchors (again and again) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would take a big piece of 1" tube webbing and tie a water knot in it.

Then I would take some carpet scraps or a towel and put that around the tree. Then I would wrap the webbing around the tree (like you put a scarf around your neck) then tie a knot (figure 8 on a bight) when you have the two strands equalized.

Oh, I would also make sure that the webbing makes it over the lip of the cliff. You dont want your rope rubbing over the lip.

Then I would put two lockers in the bight and clip your rope through the opposite and opposed lockers.

There is a good picture set up of this in a previous, but recent thread.

oh, and YER GONNA DIE.

BarrsGW

Aug 28, 2013, 7:34 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just use the rope. Your setup is fine. Just watch the angle or you will cross load your master point. To avoid that do the BHK. The knot on the second tree is full of options. Worst case scenario tie the same bowline with double overhand, and pull through all the slack.

Dress the 8's or its a pain to untie.

Don't fall.

rocknice2

Aug 28, 2013, 9:01 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And you don't need to tie 2 fig8's as a master point. Especially on an 11mm static.

marshallgeo5

Aug 28, 2013, 9:08 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BarrsGW] Top Rope Anchors (again and again) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome thank you. Makes sense and I'll go with that. Actually found a link to a walk-through of how to set up anchors with a static rope and a big tree, so for anyone else that has the same question as me, this link is great.

http://blog.mtnsideview.com/2011/07/11/simple-one-tree-top-rope/

Syd

Aug 28, 2013, 2:44 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once you have been climbing a while, you will come to realise that all TR setups are different. You need to learn to improvise, using the basic principles of redundancy etc, rather than being spoon fed.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook