RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

RhinoBiker

Aug 30, 2013, 4:03 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1138 views)
Shortcut

La Sportiva Jeckyl/Tarantula
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys, I'm new here and just wanted some advice. I've been climbing about 5 times and have come to the stage where I am climbing 5.10a (5+) and really getting into it and want my own climbing shoes. I climb mainly sport routes and do bouldering at the local Gym, but I can see myself progressing to outdoor climbing (although mainly staying indoors). At the moment, I hire La Sportiva Tarantula shoes, however I have seen a good deal on brand new La Sportiva Jeckyl (the lace version) shoes. I was wondering if any of you guys would know if the Jeckyl is better or worse than the tarantula's that I hire at the moment in terms of performance, because obviously I want to be getting shoes that are better than the ones I hire at the moment and allow me to increase the difficulty of grades that I can climb. Thanks in advance, Ryan. :)

brinosaur

Aug 30, 2013, 7:41 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RhinoBiker] La Sportiva Jeckyl/Tarantula [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Jeckyl and Tarantulas roughly fill the same niche as far as Sportivas go. I wouldn't expect much of a difference, if any at all, in performance between the two models.
Besides, until you have developed and internalized good footwork and other techniques (takes months/years), all climbing shoes are going to more or less perform the same -- experience, not the quality or special features of your shoes, will be the limiting factor.

Important questions to ask:

Do the shoes fit well? Has the fit been evaluated by an experienced salesperson or climber?

Have you, or do you have, the chance to try them on without committing to a purchase? Sizing varies wildly within the various Sportiva models, which is a pain in the ass.

Are the shoes cheap enough for you that you won't mind wearing them out quickly? The initial years of climbing are the hardest on shoe rubber...

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook