Forums: Climbing Information: General:
As a climber, what kind of app appeals to you?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JimTitt

Aug 29, 2013, 7:36 PM
Post #26 of 33 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DC_chillin] As a climber, what kind of app appeals to you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Who on earth wants to know what some half-wit on the internet thinks when you go climbing?

madrasrock

Aug 29, 2013, 7:48 PM
Post #27 of 33 (2512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Turn BetaCreator into a APP you take a picture and and add the route you just climbed. Create your own topo in the field.

ab1

Aug 30, 2013, 7:49 AM
Post #28 of 33 (2491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] As a climber, what kind of app appeals to you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very true, but phones are cheap and about 8 times smaller than your average guidebook.

In either case, once you drop your guidebook or your phone, you are doing pitch 5+ on your own :)

iknowfear

Aug 30, 2013, 8:15 AM
Post #29 of 33 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ab1] As a climber, what kind of app appeals to you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ab1 wrote:
Very true, but phones are cheap and about 8 times smaller than your average guidebook.

In either case, once you drop your guidebook or your phone, you are doing pitch 5+ on your own :)

in switzerland, a new (modular) boulder guide was just released as app:

http://bimano.ch/app/

I quite like it.

(This post was edited by iknowfear on Aug 30, 2013, 8:15 AM)

ab1

Aug 30, 2013, 8:26 AM
Post #30 of 33 (2483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrasrock] As a climber, what kind of app appeals to you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Turn BetaCreator into a APP you take a picture and and add the route you just climbed. Create your own topo in the field.

Thank you for sharing this mate, looks very useful. Should be easily portable to mobile platforms.

blueshrimp

Aug 30, 2013, 2:21 PM
Post #31 of 33 (2464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want 2 apps:

1. An electronic guidebook for my crag (many have said this already). It can find out where I am from my GPS and then it links me to the topo it fishes from somewhere online or something. But I always forget my guidebook and a smartphone guidebook would be fantastic!

2. An app that tells me where the nearest climbing shops are. In europe, this would be a godsend because they're often small family-owned shops in obscure locations. We don't have many good big chains like REI for buying climbing stuff and trying to find where one is nearest to where you are is a nightmare because you need to know the names of the stores (and you don't know them if they're small family owned stores). So maybe the app either scrubs the web for all climbing shops in the next 20 km radius anywhere in the world or vendors can register their shop addresses in a database and the app scrubs that.

3. Maybe a little social app that tells me who is at which crag (near me) looking for partners. I could message them and they could message me back without exposing my email address or phone number.

Alright so that was 3 apps. I can't count.

blueshrimp

Aug 30, 2013, 2:24 PM
Post #32 of 33 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DC_chillin wrote:
An augmented reality tool would be awesome, but I don't think the technology is there. It would have to be accurate to a foot or so, in 3-dimensional space, not just 2-dimensional GPS coordinates. That kind of precision just isn't there for readily accessible consumer products. So it's an excellent idea, but it will have to wait until the technology can support it.

Judging from input from the thread and the survey, it seems that there is a general appeal towards a social tool for finding data about climbs and gear. Data like cam info, topos, guidebooks, weather conditions. It seems that the main problem is that there's a lot of data out there but it's scattered and not socially oriented.

Also seeing several votes for a climbing log.

Great stuff guys, I appreciate the input, keep it coming.

Here in Switzerland there's an app where you point your camera to the mountains and it superimposes the name of the mountain on your screen. It even does it for when you're high up and there are tons of alpine peaks in the horizon.

The augmented reality guidebook doesn't have to be accurate to a foot or so, if it could at least tell you which sector you're in and the main routes in that sector to help you know where you are would be good enough for starters.

ab1

Aug 31, 2013, 9:17 AM
Post #33 of 33 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueshrimp] As a climber, what kind of app appeals to you? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I see a "killer app" for climbing consisting of the following base functionally:
1. GPS to get you to the crag;
2. Image feature detection/optical tracking to superimpose topos onto the rock.

This will make a strong base to incorporate all of the other features discussed in this thread, incl. social integration, etc.

The biggest hurdle to overcome in bringing this idea into reality is the fact that everyone who can, has already made an app and if they haven't yet - it is a WIP.

I think everyone should be able to be creative and make stuff, but in applying this principle to climbing market, all we are doing is fragmenting and siloing the information into proprietary stores. I've lost count how many there are already..

This info has to be in an open format, publicly accessible and free. This is my opinion.

-- ab1

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook