RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

Sep 10, 2013, 8:41 AM
Post #1 of 1 (416 views)
Shortcut

Another hangboard post: doorway is too tall and the molding too wide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just moved into a new apartment. I tried installing my hangboard in the typical fashion (putting it on plywood and drilling that into the studs above a door frame), but there isn't enough space above any of my doorways. The actual molding around the door frames is too wide (5.5 in width and 7 in deep) to put in my Irongym pullup bar, or I would attach it to that in one of the plethora of ways that are described on here. I also canít seem to find a screw in pullup bar with neutral grips to simulate an Irongym. I donít want to spend tons of money on a stand-alone hangboard mount. From what Iíve seen, they run around 100 dollars to build. I was considering two options.

1.) Attaching the hangboard to plywood and attaching that directly to the studs behind the molding (so in the doorway rather than above the doorway). The one risk is that I am renting and this would put a bunch of holes directly into the molding.

2.) Putting two parallel horizontal or vertical 2x4 sections on the studs behind the molding and attaching the hangboard/plywood setup to that. Itís the same basic principle, but I feel this would reduce the number of holes I drill directly into the molding.

Does anyone have any alternate suggestions/links to screw in pullup bars with neutral grips/opinions on my ideas? Thanks.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook