RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

OneBadStud

Sep 9, 2013, 6:20 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2981 views)
Shortcut

Dyneema sling lifespan
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

After a hiatus of four-five years (knee, shoulder surgeries and "life" interrupting my fun) I'm ready to hit the rock again. My cam slings, I'll have replaced, they're a decade old or more. The newer dyneema slings I picked up about 4-5 years ago, I'm not so sure. When should I throw them away? I stored them in plastic totes in varying temps and humidity, nothing too extreme. Thanks in advance and if any of you remember rockclimbing forum on usenet, I'll share my handle. Thanks again. Bad MF Stud

Partner cracklover

Sep 10, 2013, 9:16 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OneBadStud] Dyneema sling lifespan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OneBadStud wrote:
After a hiatus of four-five years (knee, shoulder surgeries and "life" interrupting my fun) I'm ready to hit the rock again. My cam slings, I'll have replaced, they're a decade old or more. The newer dyneema slings I picked up about 4-5 years ago, I'm not so sure. When should I throw them away? I stored them in plastic totes in varying temps and humidity, nothing too extreme. Thanks in advance and if any of you remember rockclimbing forum on usenet, I'll share my handle. Thanks again. Bad MF Stud

I have ten year old dyneema slings that have been in continual use, and still have a season or more left in them.

BTW, I was GOClimb on rec.climbing. I'm actually GOClimb on every forum except this one, where the moniker was taken before I got here.

GO

OneBadStud

Sep 10, 2013, 3:11 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Dyneema sling lifespan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice, I've seen a few rec.climbing characters on this site. Thanks for the info, I'll surely put them to the test this weekend!

socalclimber

Sep 10, 2013, 8:40 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
OneBadStud wrote:

I have ten year old dyneema slings that have been in continual use, and still have a season or more left in them.

BTW, I was GOClimb on rec.climbing. I'm actually GOClimb on every forum except this one, where the moniker was taken before I got here.

GO

As long as they weren't stored in the sun you should be fine. I'll back Gabe on this as well. I have some oldies that I am retiring this season.

The only thing I will say is if you are that unsure, just buy new ones. They are cheap in comparison to the value of your life!

acorneau

Sep 11, 2013, 4:42 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
OneBadStud wrote:
... Thanks in advance and if any of you remember rockclimbing forum on usenet, I'll share my handle. Thanks again. Bad MF Stud

...BTW, I was GOClimb on rec.climbing. I'm actually GOClimb on every forum except this one, where the moniker was taken before I got here.

GO

I'm pretty sure I was "acorneau" on the ol' rec.climbing
board. Ah, fun times.

As to the Dyneema slings; if they are in good physical shape then most likely they're ok for a few more years. If they're looking haggard or you just don't have confidence in them then toss them and get some more.

Glad you're back to the vertical life!

socalclimber

Sep 11, 2013, 4:57 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Dyneema sling lifespan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am one of the old rec.climbing drop outs as well. Boy I sure made some very lasting friendships through that place.

OneBadStud

Sep 12, 2013, 3:23 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Dyneema sling lifespan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember you SoCal. Didn't you post something about practice aiding concrete cracks under bridges, once?

socalclimber

Sep 12, 2013, 3:31 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OneBadStud] Dyneema sling lifespan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OneBadStud wrote:
I remember you SoCal. Didn't you post something about practice aiding concrete cracks under bridges, once?

Yup, that was me. A very long time ago. Rex Pieper turned me onto that place underneath New York Street bridge near Eaton Canyon. I put three bolts on top and slept there over night on my portaledge.

By the way, cement doesn't hold cams very well.Shocked

OneBadStud

Sep 12, 2013, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Dyneema sling lifespan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"By the way, cement doesn't hold cams very well"

I found that out aiding a three-story parking garage one time. RP's got me up the thing.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$44.96 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$156.56 (10% off)
$21.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook