Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Dog critical injury or death on 4/14/13
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

saucerer

Apr 19, 2013, 10:59 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2593 views)
Shortcut

Dog critical injury or death on 4/14/13  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Franklin_Gorge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was hoping someone who actually witnessed the event would post on here, but alas, no one has, and I feel like the story needs to be shared. While climbing in a different part of the crag, I was told this information by a fellow climber to whom I had lent a couple draws, thus it is secondhand. Please feel free to correct me if you were there when it happened.

Last Sunday, a dog slipped and fell from the ledge where Anchors Away, Sea Monkeys, and Belly of the Whale are located. It was critically injured, if not dead, after the fall. My condolences go out to the owners (and witnesses), and I really hope that your pup survived.

I feel that this unfortunate incident illustrates two points that have already been made on this forum multiple times:
1) The ledge in question can be dangerous! Please be aware of your surroundings, wear appropriate footwear, etc.
2) Franklin proper is not a dog-friendly crag! This is not to say that people don't bring their dogs, nor that every dog at Franklin has caused/experienced problems. However, the approach is often 4th/5th class, it is fairly crowded most weekends, and it is access and impact sensitive.

So, especially if you haven't brought your dog to Franklin before and don't know how he'll fare, please consider leaving him at home.

roninthorne

Sep 16, 2013, 4:16 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saucerer] Dog critical injury or death on 4/14/13 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Even if you have brought your dog to Franklin and/or are fairly sure how they will fare, remember that it is private property and already heavily impacted... and that this is a record year for sightings of large copperheads...

Please leave Rover at home.

potreroed

Sep 16, 2013, 7:10 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saucerer] Dog critical injury or death on 4/14/13 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sh*t happens. I've known one dog that died after falling from a ledge, two that have been killed by falling rock and one from a rattlesnake bite.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook