RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

fx101

Sep 16, 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3490 views)
Shortcut

Three Year Old Rope With Little Use...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So when I went to school I had a rope that I left at my folk's place in the basement. It's been in a dark, dry place the whole time and I've climbed on it maybe 10-15 times (no falls on it, just typical sport raps).

I've inspected it thoroughly and the sheathe and core seem fine. I've bounce tested it and it still has stretch to it. So I'm wondering... would you lead with it?

rocknice2

Sep 16, 2013, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fx101] Three Year Old Rope With Little Use... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fx101 wrote:
So when I went to school I had a rope that I left at my folk's place in the basement. It's been in a dark, dry place the whole time and I've climbed on it maybe 10-15 times (no falls on it, just typical sport raps).

I've inspected it thoroughly and the sheathe and core seem fine. I've bounce tested it and it still has stretch to it. So I'm wondering... would you lead with it?
Its fine you're goodto go.

By the way what is a 'sport rap'? Rapping from bolts instead of naturalor mechanical anchor?

fx101

Sep 16, 2013, 10:53 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Three Year Old Rope With Little Use... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Its fine you're goodto go.

By the way what is a 'sport rap'? Rapping from bolts instead of naturalor mechanical anchor?

Haha I now realize that was vague. Basically I meant rapping from smooth rap rings and bolts on overhanging climbs (no rope abrasion on the rock).

Not concerned about UV since the sheath is colorful and in from-the-store shape so it'll probably be good to go I guess. I'll give it a few lead falls in the gym and it it feels alright I'll go with it.

dagibbs

Sep 17, 2013, 3:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to go. I'd lead on it.

kennoyce

Sep 17, 2013, 6:37 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fx101 wrote:

It's perfectly fine. Beal recommends a maximum of 10 years of storage and an additional 5 years of use for a total maximum life of 15 years, and I guarantee that they are being conservative.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook