Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Bosch Annihilator for single pitch granite, yes or no?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Krizob

Sep 17, 2013, 5:53 PM
Post #1 of 12 (8226 views)
Shortcut

Bosch Annihilator for single pitch granite, yes or no?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Read a few threads about this drill already, but need a more precise answer. I'll be drilling single pitch granite, and can't afford a $700 drill and this looks like my best option. Is it powerful enough to drill granite? I don't care if each bolt takes a few minutes since it's only single pitch I can take my time. Just don't want to buy something that will be so brutal or slow that it's not even worth it. Thoughts?

kennoyce

Sep 17, 2013, 6:12 PM
Post #2 of 12 (8220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Krizob] Bosch Annihilator for single pitch granite, yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Krizob wrote:
Read a few threads about this drill already, but need a more precise answer. I'll be drilling single pitch granite, and can't afford a $700 drill and this looks like my best option. Is it powerful enough to drill granite? I don't care if each bolt takes a few minutes since it's only single pitch I can take my time. Just don't want to buy something that will be so brutal or slow that it's not even worth it. Thoughts?

The annihilator should be just fine for granite. It's not as fast or powerful as some of the newer drills, but it'll work.

Krizob

Sep 17, 2013, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 12 (8192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Bosch Annihilator for single pitch granite, yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's great news, thanks! I found a used one complete with case, battery back and bits on ebay too. I'll check it out.
In reply to:

markcarlson

Sep 18, 2013, 12:42 AM
Post #4 of 12 (8131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Krizob] Bosch Annihilator for single pitch granite, yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It has been reviewed on this site. Sounds like it will work just fine. Might need a new battery if you are buying a used one.

climbbaja

Sep 18, 2013, 2:06 AM
Post #5 of 12 (8106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Bosch "Annihilator" model #11225VSR should be great for the job.
In my experience, it will drill a 3/8" x 3" hole in granite, in under 45 seconds. The larger 3.0 Ah battery should be good for a dozen holes; perfect for a single pitch.

NiCad batteries go bad over time, whether they are used or not. When buying a used rotohammer, expect that the battery will likely need replacing.

A remanufactured NiCad can be purchased for about $110.
Or, build a SLA (sealed lead acid, aka: "gel cell") battery pack for about $75. Perfect if you are planning to drill on lead.

My garage holds a few extra Bosch Annihilators and Bulldogs (model #11213). If you want one, $90 for the Bulldog, $110 for the Annihilator, plus $15 shipping. All are lightly used and in good condition. I'm just trying to break even.

If you want to drill on lead, the Bulldog strips down very light and compact. The Annihilator can be easily modified to add external connectors for a remote battery pack, while still retaining the ability to use the factory NiCad pack. You can build the SLA pack to your specs for as much "firepower" (amp hours) as you want. Use a 35' or 50" extension cord so that the battery pack can be left hanging below. The rotohammer is lighter without the battery, allowing for one-handed drilling from difficult stances.
Below is the link to my conversion instructions with photos:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/603971/Bosch-Bulldog-Convertiing-to-SLA-batteries-step-by-step

E-mail ClimbBaja [at] aol {dot} com

socalclimber

Sep 19, 2013, 1:07 AM
Post #6 of 12 (7982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a Bosch Annihilator. It's a great drill, but ground up drilling on lead is not fun. It's too heavy. It's a fine drill, but I'd follow some of the recommendations from others up thread.

Krizob

Sep 19, 2013, 5:34 PM
Post #7 of 12 (7938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Bosch Annihilator for single pitch granite, yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like it'll suite my needs for now. I'll be retro-bolting (ie, top roping routes and chalking where to place the bolts first, then rapping down or ascending up fixed ropes to do the drilling, using aid gear as I go to keep me close to the wall). No lead bolting required at this crag fortunately. If I venture into the big wall arena one day, I'll likely upgrade.

marc801

Sep 19, 2013, 5:46 PM
Post #8 of 12 (7934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krizob wrote:
I'll be retro-bolting (ie, top roping routes and chalking where to place the bolts first, then rapping down or ascending up fixed ropes to do the drilling, using aid gear as I go to keep me close to the wall).
That's not really what retrobolting is, but minor point.

Krizob wrote:
If I venture into the big wall arena one day, I'll likely upgrade.
Just realize that big walls that are within US National Parks are hand-drill only - motorized drills are not allowed.

[Edit to fix cheese-titted quotes]

(This post was edited by marc801 on Sep 19, 2013, 7:31 PM)

socalclimber

Sep 19, 2013, 5:49 PM
Post #9 of 12 (7932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If that's the case, you should be fine. Be aware that the replacement batteries are expensive.

Have a party!

Krizob

Sep 19, 2013, 5:50 PM
Post #10 of 12 (7930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Bosch Annihilator for single pitch granite, yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's alright I'll be in B.C. , the big walls here in Powell River aren't in a park. I wonder why no power drilling is allowed...just to keep the hordes away? Hand drilling must take ages...

Krizob

Sep 19, 2013, 5:58 PM
Post #11 of 12 (7921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Bosch Annihilator for single pitch granite, yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha woops, yeah not retro bolting...but there will be one route that needs to be retro bolted, but you get the point. Thanks for catching that.

marc801

Sep 19, 2013, 7:41 PM
Post #12 of 12 (7906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krizob wrote:
That's alright I'll be in B.C. , the big walls here in Powell River aren't in a park. I wonder why no power drilling is allowed...just to keep the hordes away? Hand drilling must take ages...
Using Yosemite as an example - the big walls there are considered wilderness areas As such under the US Wilderness Act of 1964, motorized tools or conveyances are prohibited if there are no special provisions such as travel corridors.

With a sharp bit, a burly climber (like so many of the 60's Yosemite hard men) who knows what they're doing and are fresh can hand drill a 3/8" x 2.5" hole in about 20 minutes in Yosemite granite.

Add in fatigue and a bunch of other variables and a 1/4" x1.5" could wind up taking 40 minutes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook