Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 


smk23


Sep 12, 2013, 7:18 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 12, 2013
Posts: 1

Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all! Smile I'm a newbie to rock climbing and am starting lessons next month so I can take my hiking trips to the next level.

I've started looking at shoes and gear but don't really know what I should get.

Lessons will be outside on the real stuff. Not indoors. I know I'm about to start a new addiction so I want quality gear thats good for beginners. Any recommendations?


Syd


Sep 12, 2013, 2:35 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2012
Posts: 300

Re: [smk23] Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Safetech harness ... yeh a safe harness is no substitute for experience, but he doesn't have any; cheap, comfortable climbing shoes ... not worth spending big money on expensive shoes till you know what you are doing.


marc801


Sep 12, 2013, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2763

Re: [Syd] Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
Safetech harness ... yeh a safe harness is no substitute for experience, but he doesn't have any; cheap, comfortable climbing shoes ... not worth spending big money on expensive shoes till you know what you are doing.
Why are you recommending a specific harness knowing nothing about the OP's size and dimensions?

To the OP: take your lesson first and pick their brains, then worry about what to buy. For someone just starting out, you'll need shoes and a harness, probably a helmet (but that's a whole personal choice and responsibility issue which has been discussed to death), and eventually a belay device, locking biner, and a few other items depending on what style of climbing you're getting involved with. As far as specific brands and models - it's simple: ones that fit well and are reasonably comfortable. Again, ask about all this at your lesson. About the worst thing you could do is go out and buy a bunch of stuff now before knowing anything.

Syd's advice about not spending a lot on your first pair of shoes is spot-on since you'll likely trash them fairly quickly since you'll initially have almost no technique or climbing skills.


rockshoehq


Sep 26, 2013, 1:00 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2827 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 23, 2013
Posts: 3

Re: [smk23] Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Definitely take your time on buying your equipment. Shoes will be a must have and here is a great beginners guide. It will give you the scoop on shoes.

Other than that, harness, biner, belay device, crash pad... really just depends on the climbing you are doing and how deep you plan to get into the sport


Syd


Sep 26, 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2799 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2012
Posts: 300

Re: [marc801] Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Syd wrote:
Why are you recommending a specific harness knowing nothing about the OP's size and dimensions?

Like most brands, they come in lots of sizes.


marc801


Sep 27, 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2763

Re: [Syd] Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Syd wrote:
Why are you recommending a specific harness knowing nothing about the OP's size and dimensions?

Like most brands, they come in lots of sizes.
Fix yer cheese-titting.


Kartessa


Sep 27, 2013, 8:55 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2760 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [marc801] Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Syd wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Syd wrote:
Why are you recommending a specific harness knowing nothing about the OP's size and dimensions?

Like most brands, they come in lots of sizes.
Fix yer cheese-titting.

Pirate


marc801


Sep 27, 2013, 2:46 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2731 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2763

Re: [Kartessa] Best Shoes/Gear for Beginner? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Syd wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Syd wrote:
Why are you recommending a specific harness knowing nothing about the OP's size and dimensions?

Like most brands, they come in lots of sizes.
Fix yer cheese-titting.

Pirate

Yep. I know. I intentionally left the unmatched, scrambled tags when I quoted him!


Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook