RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

mikewhip

Mar 9, 2013, 10:12 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3025 views)
Shortcut

El Potrero Chico is safe- 2013- I just got back
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,
I'd like to report that I was just there for 2 weeks and returned March 6. I was, as many here, reluctant to head south of the border, but recieved positive feedback and went for it. I'm REALLY happy I did! There was alot of federal police prescence. The story is the music group that was killed were smuggling dope over the border for the ZETAS and then told them they would not do so anymore for them- Once you tell the "mafia" you can no longer serve them as you said you would, they kill you. I spoke to locals "in the know" and the ZETAS won't mess with us
Please head down! the locals are very sweet and helpful and deserve the biz from us.

cacalderon

May 6, 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikewhip] El Potrero Chico is safe- 2013- I just got back [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Great news! thanks.

Benzesp

Oct 1, 2013, 1:50 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikewhip] El Potrero Chico is safe- 2013- I just got back [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went a couple months back too.. We were the only ones climbing on friday. We camped at la Posada, and a few other groups showed up. Not the same experience as last time but still had an awesome time on TWZ. THey need out tourist $$'s bad. Would be sad to see the La Posada and La Pogoda go out of buisness. I hope it has picked up for them.. GO!

mojomonkey

Oct 2, 2013, 6:05 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Benzesp] El Potrero Chico is safe- 2013- I just got back [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Glad you had a good time, but hopefully you realize you are sharing a single experience and it in no way proves or disproves the safety of the area.

A few things to consider
- Folks in the area who rely on tourism have an incentive to portray the place as safe.
- Even if it were absolutely true that the group had smuggled drugs and then decided to stop - how do you think it would have ended for them if they initially refused to smuggle drugs?
- For all anyone knows, any of the local businesses could similarly be compromised by a cartel, so the possibility for violence erupting could yet be lurking.

At any rate it is a complex situation. I am not saying going to Potrero is safe or unsafe. But neither do any of the folks who come on here to give their stamp of approval or claim you will die there.

Benzesp

Oct 2, 2013, 7:34 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] El Potrero Chico is safe- 2013- I just got back [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I understand your point totally. There is risk associated with everything. The level of risk you are willing to take is up to the individual. My trip was uneventful other than the climbing. This was my trip report as it's in the trip report's section.

My stamp of aproval is meaningless to people who dont know me personally or dont really care. If you are going to go you will go regardless. Risk you are willing to or able to take is a personal choice. Mexico is Mexico no matter how much we want it not to be. I still say go if people ask me, take it how ever you want to take it.

USnavy

Oct 6, 2013, 9:03 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Benzesp] El Potrero Chico is safe- 2013- I just got back [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It's easy. If you are going to go to EPC, pack some heat!

Bring Norris and no one will fuck with you.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Oct 6, 2013, 9:05 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook