Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
What is going on with all the spam on here lately?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

 


jp_sucks


Oct 5, 2013, 8:13 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3644 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2006
Posts: 240

What is going on with all the spam on here lately?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

[Edit by Jeff: New owner here as of October 2013, and dealing with spam is my first priority. Would love your suggestions in this thread:http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2637993;#2637993]

--------------

Any way the mods can block this or at least delete them? The entire front page of recent posts is spam right now!!


(This post was edited by Jeff on Oct 31, 2013, 4:47 AM)


shockabuku


Oct 5, 2013, 9:10 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3627 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4867

Re: [jp_sucks] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jp_sucks wrote:
Any way the mods can block this or at least delete them? The entire front page of recent posts is spam right now!!

We're going here



Winemaker


Oct 5, 2013, 9:12 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3625 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2013
Posts: 15

Re: [jp_sucks] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jp_sucks wrote:
Any way the mods can block this or at least delete them? The entire front page of recent posts is spam right now!!

Shut this site down; it's already dead. This is my last visit.


billcoe_


Oct 6, 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4668

Re: [Winemaker] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jp_sucks wrote:
Any way the mods can block this or at least delete them? The entire front page of recent posts is spam right now!!

Winemaker wrote:
Shut this site down; it's already dead. This is my last visit.

You just got here too. 15 posts total and now you're giving up cause of 250 spam threads started?


sittingduck


Oct 6, 2013, 1:31 PM
Post #5 of 18 (3497 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 19, 2003
Posts: 338

Re: [jp_sucks] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jp_sucks wrote:
Any way the mods can block this or at least delete them? The entire front page of recent posts is spam right now!!

Why? The spam is actually adding quality at this point Unsure


Partner epoch
Moderator

Oct 6, 2013, 11:22 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3437 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32104

Re: [sittingduck] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Moved this thread from General to S&F.

Sorry for the influx of crap. Well, I can't apologize since there is nothing the mods can do at the moment about the spam. It sucks. We're just as annoyed as you all are and the few remaining of us are doing our best at taking out the trash.


rocknice2


Oct 7, 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #7 of 18 (3386 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Posts: 1213

Re: [epoch] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How about requiring the new member to answer a skill testing question to get a profile.
Something like "What is the best rope?" or "What are the best shoes?"


marc801


Oct 7, 2013, 10:26 AM
Post #8 of 18 (3383 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2770

Re: [rocknice2] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
How about requiring the new member to answer a skill testing question to get a profile.
Something like "What is the best rope?" or "What are the best shoes?"
There's that as well as other technical fixes, but it's pointless to suggest solutions since the site owners have shown no inclination to actually do anything about the problem, or any other site maintenance. Hell, one of the mods emailed their resignation over 6 months ago and not only never got a reply, but they still have moderator access.

At the moment there is nothing any of us users can do as long as the site owners apparently do not care about the site.


curt


Oct 15, 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #9 of 18 (3240 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18234

Re: [marc801] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
rocknice2 wrote:
How about requiring the new member to answer a skill testing question to get a profile.
Something like "What is the best rope?" or "What are the best shoes?"
There's that as well as other technical fixes, but it's pointless to suggest solutions since the site owners have shown no inclination to actually do anything about the problem, or any other site maintenance. Hell, one of the mods emailed their resignation over 6 months ago and not only never got a reply, but they still have moderator access.

At the moment there is nothing any of us users can do as long as the site owners apparently do not care about the site.

They should really just shut it down and sell the domain name.

rockclimbing.com

...should be worth something to somebody.

Curt


Partner macherry


Oct 16, 2013, 7:01 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3213 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15809

Re: [curt] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yup. quite pathetic.


marc801


Oct 22, 2013, 2:01 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3120 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2770

Re: [macherry] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Did something change in the past week? We seem to have a sudden absence of post spam. Did the site owners finally wake up and implement a technological fix?


Partner epoch
Moderator

Oct 22, 2013, 3:12 PM
Post #12 of 18 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32104

Re: [marc801] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Did something change in the past week? We seem to have a sudden absence of post spam. Did the site owners finally wake up and implement a technological fix?

Site owners still haven't replied to any of our plights for help.

However, thanks can be given to the previous caregivers of the site helping out with a small but useful fix.


mojomonkey


Oct 24, 2013, 5:44 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3085 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Posts: 854

Re: [epoch] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Did something change in the past week? We seem to have a sudden absence of post spam. Did the site owners finally wake up and implement a technological fix?

Site owners still haven't replied to any of our plights for help.

However, thanks can be given to the previous caregivers of the site helping out with a small but useful fix.

I noticed the alarming lack of spam too. Right before the drop off I sent an e-mail to name media lamenting the situation and I wondered if that prompted someone to action. Never heard back.

If it picks up again, contacting the site owners in addition to posting here may be helpful.


(This post was edited by mojomonkey on Oct 24, 2013, 5:45 AM)


Partner epoch
Moderator

Oct 24, 2013, 10:12 AM
Post #14 of 18 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32104

Re: [mojomonkey] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Did something change in the past week? We seem to have a sudden absence of post spam. Did the site owners finally wake up and implement a technological fix?

Site owners still haven't replied to any of our plights for help.

However, thanks can be given to the previous caregivers of the site helping out with a small but useful fix.

I noticed the alarming lack of spam too. Right before the drop off I sent an e-mail to name media lamenting the situation and I wondered if that prompted someone to action. Never heard back.

If it picks up again, contacting the site owners in addition to posting here may be helpful.

The fix had nothing to do with the Name Media corporate conglomerate... Our old pals at D4D helped a bit.


mojomonkey


Oct 24, 2013, 10:30 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3071 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Posts: 854

Re: [epoch] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
mojomonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Did something change in the past week? We seem to have a sudden absence of post spam. Did the site owners finally wake up and implement a technological fix?

Site owners still haven't replied to any of our plights for help.

However, thanks can be given to the previous caregivers of the site helping out with a small but useful fix.

I noticed the alarming lack of spam too. Right before the drop off I sent an e-mail to name media lamenting the situation and I wondered if that prompted someone to action. Never heard back.

If it picks up again, contacting the site owners in addition to posting here may be helpful.

The fix had nothing to do with the Name Media corporate conglomerate... Our old pals at D4D helped a bit.

Can't you just let me pretend I was helpful?


jenn1


Oct 26, 2013, 8:40 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3042 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2013
Posts: 2

Re: [jp_sucks] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can't delete spam comments on my photos and I can't flag a profile as a spammer - that seems like two easy fixes -

Here's the spam bomber who hit me:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=jameswhit052;


Partner Jeff
Owner

Oct 31, 2013, 4:49 AM
Post #17 of 18 (2953 views)
Shortcut

 
Re: [jenn1] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jenn--Good suggestion. I put a note in the bugtracker (we now have a bugtracker:-) to look into fixing this.


Partner cracklover


Nov 9, 2013, 1:53 PM
Post #18 of 18 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10061

Re: [jenn1] What is going on with all the spam on here lately? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jenn1 wrote:
I can't delete spam comments on my photos and I can't flag a profile as a spammer - that seems like two easy fixes -

Here's the spam bomber who hit me:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=jameswhit052;

Jenn, and anyone else - if you see spam on your photos, please let me know, I can delete it.

Thanks,

Gabe O
(photo Editor)


Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook