Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
lOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH BOLTING GEAR
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ricotomo

Oct 7, 2013, 6:25 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4523 views)
Shortcut

lOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH BOLTING GEAR  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

While biking I passed a crag in Pheonixville. I have been back twice since, with a friend, to do some top roping and in general I have found the rock quality to be good and the climbs enjoyable. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH THE GEAR AND KNOW-HOW TO BOLT SOME ANCHORS and maybe assist in developing the crag by installing fixed anchors, cleaning the rock, developing routes, researching history, and creating some trails. If you are interested please message me and we will arrange a time to go climbing. I will also give exact location details in PM.

marc801

Oct 7, 2013, 6:33 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ricotomo] lOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH BOLTING GEAR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ricotomo wrote:
While biking I passed a crag in Pheonixville. I have been back twice since, with a friend, to do some top roping and in general I have found the rock quality to be good and the climbs enjoyable. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH THE GEAR AND KNOW-HOW TO BOLT SOME ANCHORS and maybe assist in developing the crag by installing fixed anchors, cleaning the rock, developing routes, researching history, and creating some trails. If you are interested please message me and we will arrange a time to go climbing. I will also give exact location details in PM.
Have you discussed your plans with the landowner? Have you been given permission?

(This post was edited by marc801 on Oct 7, 2013, 6:34 PM)

ricotomo

Oct 7, 2013, 7:07 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] lOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH BOLTING GEAR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No to both those questions. Is that the proper procedure for this kind of thing? Would the fact that the crag is within the lock 60 recreation area factor into this?

mojomonkey

Oct 7, 2013, 7:59 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ricotomo wrote:
No to both those questions. Is that the proper procedure for this kind of thing? Would the fact that the crag is within the lock 60 recreation area factor into this?

Are you talking about the rocks visible from and right off the trail past lock 60? You could probably get started by calling the number for the site here. They allow lots of other recreational activity, so maybe you have a shot?

I've poked around there and wouldn't say the rock quality was good, but perhaps you were in a different area...

ricotomo

Oct 7, 2013, 8:45 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] lOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH BOLTING GEAR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nobody answered when I called, so I sent an email. I'll update everyone when i get a reply.

That is what i'm talking about. There are actually several different cliffs back there. Most of them are bad quality but the biggest has clearly seen some quarrying in the past which has left it with some good quality rock. I mean its not amazing and some sections are definitly better than others, but it's climbable.

marc801

Oct 7, 2013, 9:23 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ricotomo wrote:
No to both those questions. Is that the proper procedure for this kind of thing?
People who haven't done so in other areas have succeeded in getting entire cliffs shut down and posted as no trespassing. it's one sure fire way of pissing off a landowner or land manager.

ricotomo

Oct 8, 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So an update, i contacted the SCA and they say that it is fine to climb here. They are not okay with placing permanent anchors but told me that its not really up to them and that montgomery county would look down upon this. I am going to try to contact Montgomery Parks
to see if they would allow bolting.

joeforte

Oct 9, 2013, 9:20 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why bolts? No opportunity for gear placements?

(This post was edited by joeforte on Oct 9, 2013, 9:21 PM)

TradEddie

Oct 21, 2013, 3:45 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] lOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH BOLTING GEAR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why bolts? No opportunity for gear placements?
If it's the same cliff I looked at many years ago, plenty of cracks to place gear, but the rock would crumble first, I'm not sure bolts would be any better. Hardly high enough to need gear anyway.
It's shale, and it makes the stuff out at Stover seem like granite. Much more interesting is the cliff on the other side of the river, visible from the main street. That's shale too, but taller, cleaner, and sunnier.

TE

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook