RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Fah_Q

Oct 7, 2013, 9:26 PM
Post #1 of 2 (939 views)
Shortcut

Frost knot for top rope webbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a few outdoor sport climbing locations that have a good 15-20 foot slab top out before the anchors. To prevent rope drag, I bought 30 feet of webbing hoping to fix this issue. An old school climbing friend of mine mentioned the frost knot to join webbing together (retaining 80% strength) and creates bite to attach some lockers for a top rope anchor. I understand how it is stronger than a simple water knot, but wanted to get some other opinions before trusting it as an anchor extension.

USnavy

Oct 8, 2013, 1:25 AM
Post #2 of 2 (893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fah_Q] Frost knot for top rope webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have pull tested the frost knot against the standard overhand knot and it is fractionally stronger. You can use the frost knot if you would like, but I dont understand the advantages of doing so in your application. So you are going to drop two legs of webbing down over the slab and tie a masterpoint knot in the middle, right? If so, why not just use a standard overhand? I am not really seeing how the frost knot creates any additional tie-off points. Regardless if you use an overhand or a frost knot, you will end up with only one loop in which to clip things into.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Oct 8, 2013, 1:26 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook