RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

matzarelli

Oct 11, 2013, 4:05 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Using Cord to extend pro instead of Webbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was dabbling in the idea of extending protection with tech cord or accessory cord instead of nylon or dyneema slings. It seems a little more convienient and practical to be able to tie any length of extension needed then just hook it to the pro placed with a carabiner over packing a shoulder load of sewn webbing. I haven't been able to find any lit. on the subject, so I'm looking for any thoughts or beta on the subject.

marc801

Oct 11, 2013, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 4 (986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matzarelli] Using Cord to extend pro instead of Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

matzarelli wrote:
I was dabbling in the idea of extending protection with tech cord or accessory cord instead of nylon or dyneema slings. It seems a little more convienient and practical to be able to tie any length of extension needed then just hook it to the pro placed with a carabiner over packing a shoulder load of sewn webbing. I haven't been able to find any lit. on the subject, so I'm looking for any thoughts or beta on the subject.
It'll work - but it adds complexity and time with tying knots and all. That is, if anyone still wants to climb with you while you spend 5 minutes on each piece. Guess what climbers carried before webbing? Yep. Slings made of 3/8" goldline cord. Webbing was quickly adopted when it became available because of the decrease in bulk. But getting a custom length for each piece by tying knots in cord? Pointless.

Keep it simple.

dindolino32

Oct 16, 2013, 7:44 AM
Post #3 of 4 (857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Using Cord to extend pro instead of Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can tie webbing. it doesnt have to be sewn. also, ive used cord before but it definitely digs in to your skin on your shoulder more which hurts by the end of pitch 10. it is nice to have the option to thread cord through a small hole in rock sometimes, but thats not as common of a need.

stagg54

Oct 17, 2013, 3:40 AM
Post #4 of 4 (774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dindolino32] Using Cord to extend pro instead of Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try this in the gym:

Get in a strenuous position. Hang on with one hand and try to tie a chunk of chord into a loop using just the other hand.

that should answer your question.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook