Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Do tendons take as long to weaken as they do to strengthen?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

bigjonnyc

Oct 24, 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #1 of 2 (816 views)
Shortcut

Do tendons take as long to weaken as they do to strengthen?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm getting back into climbing after over a year off. Previously I climbed for about eight years and feel that I built some pretty strong tendons. I wondering if anyone knows about weakening of tendons. Anyone with some basic knowledge of training for climbing knows it takes years to build really strong tendons. Is the opposite true as well? Do tendons take years of inactivity to go back to their preclimbing strength?

kenr

Oct 25, 2013, 5:43 PM
Post #2 of 2 (737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigjonnyc] Do tendons take as long to weaken as they do to strengthen? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The three best modern English-language books on how to climb better do not mention the old lore about tendons growing slower than muscles. Nor do they say anything different about how to develop tendon strength as opposed to muscle strength.

I haven't seen anyone on a climbing forum quote any well-designed scientific studies in the last ten or twenty years which found that tendons in general grow slower than muscles. The last summary result which I heard about this was, "It depends."

I'd be really surprised if any well-designed scientific study has been done about loss of tendon strength versus muscles. I would bet money there's never been a scientific study of that for a period of longer than five years.

I suggest be careful to ramp up carefully and incrementally - (maybe read a modern book about climbing better).

Ken

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook