RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Huculiak

Oct 26, 2013, 12:11 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1167 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Prince George and a GIS project
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently in Prince George, and unfortunately there is a deficiency of outdoor climbing sites around this area, as well the winter being so long doesn’t support climbing outdoors much of the year. I am bringing this up because I am doing a project in my second year geography class using GIS to map the existing established outdoor climbing spots and potentially surveying for a few new locations. I was hoping someone might be able to share some resources with me that lay out the criteria desired for outdoor climbing sites.
My email is huculiak@unbc.ca. Please contact me if you feel that you have useful information.
Also, a notable mention, there is an indoor climbing gym in Prince George now called OVERhang (overhang.ca). I’m not sure who is able to update that info, but it would be nice to see a link there for this new and exciting facility.

dagibbs

Oct 26, 2013, 2:53 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Huculiak] Climbing in Prince George and a GIS project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking at where Prince George is, I'm surprised there's no outdoor climbing around there. Maybe there isn't a lot of cleaned up, developed outdoor climbing -- but there's got to be lots of rock in the area.

Criteria:

Bare rock, of a reasonable vertical height. 15m+ is about the minimum (unless desperate), 25m-35m is good for single-pitch, more is better.

Rock that is moderately near to vertical.

A reasonable way to get to the rock. Reasonable is relative to how much and how good the rock is, of course.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook