Forums: Community: Campground:
You are not wanted here.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4049 4050 4051 4052 4053 4054 4055 4056 4057 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

snoopy138

Oct 28, 2013, 3:32 PM
Post #101301 of 105309 (4044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
WEAK end report:

The weather was perfect. I climbed like shit. This about sums it up.

I am really bummed, because I felt so good mid-September, climbed my best ever. But now it looks like I had started the training cycle too early, peaked too early, and in any case, it probably didn't matter when I peaked, because I spent the most of my "peak" working, instead of climbing. if you think about it, Even if my "peak" lasts for 6 weeks, I only have 6 days of climbing in that peak, at most. SUCKS!

I also managed to pull a muscle in my back doing series of long moves on this stellar 11d/12a that is, like, the best climb ever. So what was I thinking, getting on it? If everyone gives it 5 stars, OF COURSE it would be reachy! And it isn't like I cannot see it from the ground... And if Shaun climbs it and says, O.K. looks like here is the first reachy section, and it isn't even the crux, and i see that he is completely correct, why the hell did i even get on it? Because it is the best route at the crag, of course... And because I thought I could do it, anyway. And now I have a reason why it hurts to sit, stand, or lie on my back, or either side. Awesome. Frown

Tweaking stuff in your back sucks. I know, I'm a pro at it. Don't know if it's your bag, but I'm a big fan of the crack ma'am to fix me up.

I like the idea of training cycles, but everyone I've met who had done them complains how they missed their peak and they are dissapointed on how they're climbing. I thought that even after your peak you're supossed to still be in better shape than you were before you started the cycle, and doing repetative cycles would make you progressivly stronger in general. Otherwise, why would you bother?

the key to training is PTFTWs.

snoopy138

Oct 28, 2013, 3:32 PM
Post #101302 of 105309 (4042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ewe always want to peak right at the top of the page

granite_grrl

Oct 28, 2013, 3:34 PM
Post #101303 of 105309 (4040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And speaking of the crack ma'am.....I went to see a new one last Friday. She works with a lot of runners and does active release techniques (ART). Now, I don't know if I would classify myself as a runner yet, but I do have a lot of issues with my IT band and trying to run.

I've been getting some major pain from the IT band lately, going into my butt muscles and radiating down my hamstring. I was still getting pain on my short run on Saturday, but the muscle may still have been hurty from the treatment. Going running tonight (just a short, easy run) so I'll see how it goes. I have another appointment with her this Friday.

granite_grrl

Oct 28, 2013, 3:36 PM
Post #101304 of 105309 (4038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:

Do you find you get any cumulative value from PTFTWs over multiple pages?

lena_chita

Oct 28, 2013, 4:09 PM
Post #101305 of 105309 (4024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
WEAK end report:

I am really bummed, because I felt so good mid-September, climbed my best ever. But now it looks like I had started the training cycle too early, peaked too early, and in any case, it probably didn't matter when I peaked, because I spent the most of my "peak" working, instead of climbing. if you think about it, Even if my "peak" lasts for 6 weeks, I only have 6 days of climbing in that peak, at most. SUCKS!

I also managed to pull a muscle in my back doing series of long moves on this stellar 11d/12a that is, like, the best climb ever. So what was I thinking, getting on it? If everyone gives it 5 stars, OF COURSE it would be reachy! And it isn't like I cannot see it from the ground... And if Shaun climbs it and says, O.K. looks like here is the first reachy section, and it isn't even the crux, and i see that he is completely correct, why the hell did i even get on it? Because it is the best route at the crag, of course... And because I thought I could do it, anyway. And now I have a reason why it hurts to sit, stand, or lie on my back, or either side. Awesome. Frown

Tweaking stuff in your back sucks. I know, I'm a pro at it. Don't know if it's your bag, but I'm a big fan of the crack ma'am to fix me up.

I like the idea of training cycles, but everyone I've met who had done them complains how they missed their peak and they are dissapointed on how they're climbing. I thought that even after your peak you're supossed to still be in better shape than you were before you started the cycle, and doing repetative cycles would make you progressivly stronger in general. Otherwise, why would you bother?

Well, I suppose I am, overall, a bit stronger now that I was a year ago. but compared to how I felt climbing in mid-September, I suck.

And it isn't like the peaks and valleys don't happen naturally, without any training cycle. The idea of the periodization training is NOT to eliminate peaks/valleys. Because you can't eliminate them even if you tried. It is to direct them to happen when you want them to happen.

Obviously, I suck at that, too.

lena_chita

Oct 28, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #101306 of 105309 (4020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
And speaking of the crack ma'am.....I went to see a new one last Friday. She works with a lot of runners and does active release techniques (ART). Now, I don't know if I would classify myself as a runner yet, but I do have a lot of issues with my IT band and trying to run.

I've been getting some major pain from the IT band lately, going into my butt muscles and radiating down my hamstring. I was still getting pain on my short run on Saturday, but the muscle may still have been hurty from the treatment. Going running tonight (just a short, easy run) so I'll see how it goes. I have another appointment with her this Friday.

I will probably go for a massage, I really like my massage therapist, and see how I feel afterwards.

Don't know how he compares to crack ma-am, but he is good with athletic injuries.

lena_chita

Oct 28, 2013, 4:20 PM
Post #101307 of 105309 (4015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And speaking of weekend report, witnessed someone belaying with their gri-gri clipped to the little plastic gear loop on the side of the harness. She was wearing a jacket, so we only realized that it happened when her climber took, and she twisted around, because of it, and freaked out, obviously. Luckily, the gear loop didn't break, it wasn't a lead fall, just a take at the anchors. And Ed still had his harness on, so he took over belay and lowered him.

The guy was white-faced when he was lowered. You could tell he wanted to rip his belayer to peaces, but we were there, and he was restraining himself. And obviously, since he was clearly the more-experienced of the two, it was his fault, too. But I can see how it could go unnoticed bc she was wearing a jacket and her harness was loose enough that it kinda twisted around, to begin with. He checked htat her gri-gri was loaded properly and biner was locked, before he started climbing, but didn't check where it was attached to.

Anyway, all is well that ends well.

And there was also a hilarious (to the onlookers) argument on one of the 5.9s when the climber asked for a slack to clip the 2nd bolt, after hanging the draw, and his belayer refused to give him slack, because he was in the groundfall territory (correct). So they stood there arguing, because that was better, apparently, than quickly clipping the damned draw.

curt

Oct 28, 2013, 4:45 PM
Post #101308 of 105309 (4006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
And speaking of weekend report, witnessed someone belaying with their gri-gri clipped to the little plastic gear loop on the side of the harness. She was wearing a jacket, so we only realized that it happened when her climber took, and she twisted around, because of it, and freaked out, obviously. Luckily, the gear loop didn't break, it wasn't a lead fall, just a take at the anchors. And Ed still had his harness on, so he took over belay and lowered him.

The guy was white-faced when he was lowered. You could tell he wanted to rip his belayer to peaces, but we were there, and he was restraining himself. And obviously, since he was clearly the more-experienced of the two, it was his fault, too. But I can see how it could go unnoticed bc she was wearing a jacket and her harness was loose enough that it kinda twisted around, to begin with. He checked htat her gri-gri was loaded properly and biner was locked, before he started climbing, but didn't check where it was attached to.

And there was also a hilarious (to the onlookers) argument on one of the 5.9s when the climber asked for a slack to clip the 2nd bolt, after hanging the draw, and his belayer refused to give him slack, because he was in the groundfall territory (correct). So they stood there arguing, because that was better, apparently, than quickly clipping the damned draw.

Holy. Shit.

Curt

lena_chita

Oct 28, 2013, 5:10 PM
Post #101309 of 105309 (4003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Holy. Shit.

Curt

Yeah, climbing isn't what it used to be back in the painter-pants era. :)

curt

Oct 28, 2013, 5:23 PM
Post #101310 of 105309 (3995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Holy. Shit.

Curt

Really. You'll never clip your gri-gri into a plastic gear loop with a waist belay.

Curt

granite_grrl

Oct 28, 2013, 6:13 PM
Post #101311 of 105309 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
WEAK end report:

Well, I suppose I am, overall, a bit stronger now that I was a year ago. but compared to how I felt climbing in mid-September, I suck.

And it isn't like the peaks and valleys don't happen naturally, without any training cycle. The idea of the periodization training is NOT to eliminate peaks/valleys. Because you can't eliminate them even if you tried. It is to direct them to happen when you want them to happen.

I’ve just heard a lot of people complain about their lack of timing with the periodization thing and yeah, I can see that that would suck, but if you’re not prepared for that potentially happening maybe going through these training cycles are not for you?

I suppose I have my own periodization thing going. I gain finger strength and endurance in the summer, the lock off and other strength stuff in the winter.

Partner epoch

Oct 28, 2013, 6:20 PM
Post #101312 of 105309 (3977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Holy. Shit.

Curt

Really. You'll never clip your gri-gri into a plastic gear loop with a waist foot belay.

Curt
ftfy!

lena_chita

Oct 28, 2013, 6:47 PM
Post #101313 of 105309 (3958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
WEAK end report:

I’ve just heard a lot of people complain about their lack of timing with the periodization thing and yeah, I can see that that would suck, but if you’re not prepared for that potentially happening maybe going through these training cycles are not for you?

I suppose I have my own periodization thing going. I gain finger strength and endurance in the summer, the lock off and other strength stuff in the winter.

I look at it as live-and-learn. bad timing now, lesson for better timing in the future.

I sort-of agree with you, I had stayed away from even attempting any sort of periodization for a long time, because it doesn't make sense, unless you know you will have a solid 2-6-week window when you would be climbing a lot, and you want to be climbing your best.

But then last winter, when camhead was limping around with his LisPaul foot, and I didn't have a regular partner for winter climbing, it didn't make sense to make a long drive to Chattaradiego by myself. So I figured that I would do the training cycle, because I had no climbing prospects from mid-December till March. And it worked well enough for me to want to do it again.

That was a fairly long cycle, and I climbed fairly well through spring, even though the weather was not the best. This summer I did a shorter cycle. And obviously it was too short/too early, based on how I am climbing this fall. But still, it wasn't a waste of time, because I had zero desire to go climbing in the middle of July/August heat and humidity, so I didn't exactly waste weeks of good weather on the training. And I am probably no worse now than if I didn't do any training at all, or if I had just kept going to the Red and climbing 5.10s in summer heat.

I dunno. You never have a control group when you do an experiment on yourself, so who knows what might have been. And I am getting on harder stuff, so part of my climbing-like-crap feeling comes from that, I guess.

granite_grrl

Oct 28, 2013, 7:35 PM
Post #101314 of 105309 (3946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
WEAK end report:

I look at it as live-and-learn. bad timing now, lesson for better timing in the future.

I sort-of agree with you, I had stayed away from even attempting any sort of periodization for a long time, because it doesn't make sense, unless you know you will have a solid 2-6-week window when you would be climbing a lot, and you want to be climbing your best.

But then last winter, when camhead was limping around with his LisPaul foot, and I didn't have a regular partner for winter climbing, it didn't make sense to make a long drive to Chattaradiego by myself. So I figured that I would do the training cycle, because I had no climbing prospects from mid-December till March. And it worked well enough for me to want to do it again.

That was a fairly long cycle, and I climbed fairly well through spring, even though the weather was not the best. This summer I did a shorter cycle. And obviously it was too short/too early, based on how I am climbing this fall. But still, it wasn't a waste of time, because I had zero desire to go climbing in the middle of July/August heat and humidity, so I didn't exactly waste weeks of good weather on the training. And I am probably no worse now than if I didn't do any training at all, or if I had just kept going to the Red and climbing 5.10s in summer heat.

I dunno. You never have a control group when you do an experiment on yourself, so who knows what might have been. And I am getting on harder stuff, so part of my climbing-like-crap feeling comes from that, I guess.

I think I would do it (and probably complain when I misjudged when my peak was going to be too!) if I had a better training facility. The season up in Ontario is longer too, being able to climb through the heat of the summer by heading a bit fourther North.

Then I get my winter season which has to be game one for the two good months we get up here a year. But even that we stretch out with drytooling.

Frankly, I kinda look forward to that time in November/December when we get a break, but I hardly get a shoulder season at all.

I wonder how my yearly ups and downs translate to a periodization schecdule, because I definitly work on different things depending on the time of the year.

snoopy138

Oct 28, 2013, 11:21 PM
Post #101315 of 105309 (3926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:

Do you find you get any cumulative value from PTFTWs over multiple pages?

yes, it seems to help with building self-worth.

snoopy138

Oct 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
Post #101316 of 105309 (3924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

the second story just sounds spectacular.

caughtinside

Oct 29, 2013, 1:54 AM
Post #101317 of 105309 (3903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
WEAK end report:

The thing I hate most about training cycles is your friends skipping climbing days because it's the wrong time in their hangboring cycle to climb.

granite_grrl

Oct 29, 2013, 2:29 AM
Post #101318 of 105309 (3892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
WEAK end report:

The thing I hate most about training cycles is your friends skipping climbing days because it's the wrong time in their hangboring cycle to climb.

That's my issue, I don't want to skip climbing days for training days.

That being said I'm working on figure-4s right now. I've gotten a hell of a lot better at them over the last month.

lena_chita

Oct 29, 2013, 3:05 PM
Post #101319 of 105309 (3866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Oh, it was. Picture every accoutrement of sport-climbing gumbyhood-- daisies girth-hitched to the harness and passed between the legs to be clipped in the back, ill-fitted helmet that slides back on the head, several belay devices on the harness, belayer wearing climbing shoes... And then you will get the full flavor of it.

snoopy138

Oct 29, 2013, 3:49 PM
Post #101320 of 105309 (3855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
WEAK end report:

yeah, that shit sounds lame. fortunately, nobody that I climb with does any sort of boreding cycles.

snoopy138

Oct 29, 2013, 3:51 PM
Post #101321 of 105309 (3851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Oh, it was. Picture every accoutrement of sport-climbing gumbyhood-- daisies girth-hitched to the harness and passed between the legs to be clipped in the back, ill-fitted helmet that slides back on the head, several belay devices on the harness, belayer wearing climbing shoes... And then you will get the full flavor of it.

was it an overhanging 5.9, such that the climber was getting pumped while the belayer wouldn't give him slack, or was he standing on a ledge? Also, did the belayer have a proposed solution to the issue?

lena_chita

Oct 29, 2013, 4:07 PM
Post #101322 of 105309 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

was it an overhanging 5.9, such that the climber was getting pumped while the belayer wouldn't give him slack, or was he standing on a ledge? Also, did the belayer have a proposed solution to the issue?

Yes, it was an overhanging 5.9. Well, as far as 5.9's are overhanging. The left of the two at the Military wall. And no, the belayer didn't seem to have a solution. She just had a concern, and she was going to fully voice it, too, all other concerns be damned.

But at that point every single person who was there made some sort of "don't argue with your climber" and "give him fucking slack already" suggestion, and she relented, while grumbling that it was not right. The draw was successfully clipped.

How the climber made it to the top, I am not quite sure, I wasn't standing there watching after that. there was a lot of hanging on each bolt. But Ed did stay behind, and apparently this was not the only bolt on which they had a discussion about whether or not the belayer should give her climber slack, when he asked for it.

Partner camhead

Oct 29, 2013, 5:02 PM
Post #101323 of 105309 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Yes, it was an overhanging 5.9. Well, as far as 5.9's are overhanging. The left of the two at the Military wall. And no, the belayer didn't seem to have a solution. She just had a concern, and she was going to fully voice it, too, all other concerns be damned.

But at that point every single person who was there made some sort of "don't argue with your climber" and "give him fucking slack already" suggestion, and she relented, while grumbling that it was not right. The draw was successfully clipped.

How the climber made it to the top, I am not quite sure, I wasn't standing there watching after that. there was a lot of hanging on each bolt. But Ed did stay behind, and apparently this was not the only bolt on which they had a discussion about whether or not the belayer should give her climber slack, when he asked for it.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Partner camhead

Oct 29, 2013, 5:06 PM
Post #101324 of 105309 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fun end of the season party last night. Played music until like 3am. The band was a bit half assed; drummer forgot his bass pedal, so they were like an hour late starting. Crowd of drunks was already gathered, so I figured I may as well start a mandolin singalong. Did sweet child o mine, come sail away, and a few others, went over pretty well.

Also, is anyone else having issues since updating their iyups os? I now have to manually log onto rc.knob everytime I check into the bet.

lena_chita

Oct 29, 2013, 5:55 PM
Post #101325 of 105309 (3819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ.

You miss the Red really badly, I can tell.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4049 4050 4051 4052 4053 4054 4055 4056 4057 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook