Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing closed?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

 


Au-vis


Jul 28, 2013, 9:19 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1933 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 11, 2009
Posts: 4

Climbing closed?  (North_America: United_States: Hawaii: Oahu)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Is climbing in Mokuleia and other areas still prohibited? What about bouldering?


reirameso


Jul 29, 2013, 4:07 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 2, 2012
Posts: 6

Re: [Au-vis] Climbing closed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Looking for information on this as well... thinking of heading to Hawaii late Nov/early Dec and would love to do some sport climbing... is everything still closed?


Shroom


Jul 29, 2013, 9:03 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1762 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2009
Posts: 59

Re: [Au-vis] Climbing closed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Au-vis wrote:
Is climbing in Mokuleia and other areas still prohibited? What about bouldering?

Here is the beta directly quoted from RC user USNavy (Sayar Zalobki):
In reply to:
The area is still legally closed, but it is not physically closed, there are just tons of signs that try to scare you off. It does not look like we are going to be reach an agreement with the state, so climbers have just been ignoring the signs and climbing there anyway. Because the area is not paroled and it is in a remote section of the island, no one has had any issues so far. My advice would be to just climb and dont worry about it, the signs are mostly there to try to scare you off. Just make sure no one sees you hike up the trail or come back down. But you are only viable for the first 150' of the approach, after that you will remain unseen. If by chance the state does drive by and see you, the road they would come in on is about 600' below you and fully visible from every route at the crag, so you can monitor what is going on. But the employees of the state are mostly fat and lazy, and the approach is constantly uphill, so they would never come up after you. But again, people have been going up there weekly without issue.


(This post was edited by Shroom on Jul 29, 2013, 9:51 PM)


edge


Jul 30, 2013, 7:31 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9100

Re: [Shroom] Climbing closed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:
Au-vis wrote:
Is climbing in Mokuleia and other areas still prohibited? What about bouldering?

Here is the beta directly quoted from RC user USNavy (Sayar Zalobki):
In reply to:
The area is still legally closed, but it is not physically closed, there are just tons of signs that try to scare you off. It does not look like we are going to be reach an agreement with the state, so climbers have just been ignoring the signs and climbing there anyway. Because the area is not paroled and it is in a remote section of the island, no one has had any issues so far. My advice would be to just climb and dont worry about it, the signs are mostly there to try to scare you off. Just make sure no one sees you hike up the trail or come back down. But you are only viable for the first 150' of the approach, after that you will remain unseen. If by chance the state does drive by and see you, the road they would come in on is about 600' below you and fully visible from every route at the crag, so you can monitor what is going on. But the employees of the state are mostly fat and lazy, and the approach is constantly uphill, so they would never come up after you. But again, people have been going up there weekly without issue.

Wow. What an incredibly assholish approach.

Not that I would expect any less from USN00b.


Gmburns2000


Jul 30, 2013, 2:44 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15152

Re: [edge] Climbing closed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Shroom wrote:
Au-vis wrote:
Is climbing in Mokuleia and other areas still prohibited? What about bouldering?

Here is the beta directly quoted from RC user USNavy (Sayar Zalobki):
In reply to:
The area is still legally closed, but it is not physically closed, there are just tons of signs that try to scare you off. It does not look like we are going to be reach an agreement with the state, so climbers have just been ignoring the signs and climbing there anyway. Because the area is not paroled and it is in a remote section of the island, no one has had any issues so far. My advice would be to just climb and dont worry about it, the signs are mostly there to try to scare you off. Just make sure no one sees you hike up the trail or come back down. But you are only viable for the first 150' of the approach, after that you will remain unseen. If by chance the state does drive by and see you, the road they would come in on is about 600' below you and fully visible from every route at the crag, so you can monitor what is going on. But the employees of the state are mostly fat and lazy, and the approach is constantly uphill, so they would never come up after you. But again, people have been going up there weekly without issue.

Wow. What an incredibly assholish approach.

Not that I would expect any less from USN00b.

His name is Sayar?! Didn't see that coming.


jkeough


Oct 31, 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 16, 2010
Posts: 4

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing closed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Burns, usnavy is right in what he said, you may not like it, but its the truth, guess that makes you the noob


Partner j_ung


Nov 1, 2013, 7:13 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1164 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [jkeough] Climbing closed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jkeough wrote:
Burns, usnavy is right in what he said, you may not like it, but its the truth, guess that makes you the noob

Yeah, Burns. Learn to use the forum. Hahahahaha!


Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$26.96 (10% off)
$10.76 (10% off)
$15.52 (10% off)
$71.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook