RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bugs & Error Reports

Premier Sponsor:

jt512

Nov 3, 2013, 3:38 AM
Post #1 of 4 (4449 views)
Shortcut

New owners: Half of the most recent posts are still spam
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Quote | Reply

Jeff, I think it is clear that the single most pressing factor that will determine the viability of this web site is putting an end to the spam. Yet, at the time of this writing, four of the most recently posted-to eight threads (50%) are spam. If you want to have any credibility with (what is left of) the user base of this web site, you need to immediately stop the spam.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Nov 3, 2013, 4:39 AM)

Partner Jeff
Owner

Nov 3, 2013, 5:10 AM
Post #2 of 4 (4398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] New owners: Half of the most recent posts are still spam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Quote | Reply

Jay,
Appreciate that you want a spam-free experience and that you care enough about the site to post about it. So do I, and dealing with spam continues to be our top priority.

That said, I have also been clear that coming up to speed with this codebase and this site will take a bit of time--that time is measured in weeks, not days.

Kristen and I both spent most of today working on the site, and unfortunately a number of the common ways to cut down on spam aren't just a simple settings change within the current software platform. We are focused on implementing ways that will reduce spam on a continual basis, not just removing individual posts.

I really wish there was something different I could say here, but there isn't.

In the meantime you can help by flagging individual posts for quick removal. I checked the logs, and it looks like rather than flagging anything, you just publicly complained about it, which really isn't helpful since everyone already knows spam is a problem and that it's our top priority. In the future, please take the time to flag those posts before complaining publicly.

Again--appreciate the concern--I absolutely want to get this spam problem nailed.

Cheers,
Jeff

iknowfear

Nov 3, 2013, 11:28 AM
Post #3 of 4 (4346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeff] New owners: Half of the most recent posts are still spam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Quote | Reply

Jeff wrote:
Jay,
Appreciate that you want a spam-free experience and that you care enough about the site to post about it. So do I, and dealing with spam continues to be our top priority.

That said, I have also been clear that coming up to speed with this codebase and this site will take a bit of time--that time is measured in weeks, not days.

Kristen and I both spent most of today working on the site, and unfortunately a number of the common ways to cut down on spam aren't just a simple settings change within the current software platform. We are focused on implementing ways that will reduce spam on a continual basis, not just removing individual posts.

I really wish there was something different I could say here, but there isn't.

In the meantime you can help by flagging individual posts for quick removal. I checked the logs, and it looks like rather than flagging anything, you just publicly complained about it, which really isn't helpful since everyone already knows spam is a problem and that it's our top priority. In the future, please take the time to flag those posts before complaining publicly.

Again--appreciate the concern--I absolutely want to get this spam problem nailed.

Cheers,
Jeff

at the danger of repeating myself: you NEED mods in non US timezones. Fix with bodys what can not yet be fixed in code.

Cheers

Partner Jeff
Owner

Nov 4, 2013, 4:27 AM
Post #4 of 4 (4301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] New owners: Half of the most recent posts are still spam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Quote | Reply

iknowfear wrote:
at the danger of repeating myself: you NEED mods in non US timezones. Fix with bodys what can not yet be fixed in code.

Absolutely agree. Beyond the time zone benefits, I'd also like to have the perspective that non-US folks bring as part of the staff.

However, a couple of things need to happen before I invite *any* new people to join the staff team:

1) I need to touch base with current staff, figure out who's still interested in being involved, get to know each other. By the end of tonight I think I'll have PM'd everyone currently on staff about scheduling a time to chat.

2) I need to make some decisions about what I want the culture of this place to be about going forward. This doesn't need to be fully defined, but at least a bit more than it is now. I'm not going to make these decisions until I've had a chance to chat with a lot more users.

3) I need a clear set of guidelines around the behavior I want from staff. How they'll be expected to behave and what kind of things they'll need to enforce, etc.

4) I need a clear set of guidelines around the commitment level that I'm asking for from staff.

Anyway, getting staff organized a bit more is a high priority, and not something I want to be hasty about.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Bugs & Error Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook