Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Pounding A Nail: Old Shoe or Glass Bottle?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

iknowfear

Nov 18, 2013, 2:57 PM
Post #1 of 2 (640 views)
Shortcut

Pounding A Nail: Old Shoe or Glass Bottle?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

A lot of questions in this forum are of the following kind:
Alex wrote:
"A client has asked me to build and install a custom shelving system. I'm at the point where I need to nail it, but I'm not sure what to use to pound the nails in. Should I use an old shoe or a glass bottle?

How would you answer the question?

a) It depends. If you are looking to pound a small (20lb) nail in something like drywall, you'll find it much easier to use the bottle, especially if the shoe is dirty. However, if you are trying to drive a heavy nail into some wood, go with the shoe: the bottle with shatter in your hand.

b) There is something fundamentally wrong with the way you are building; you need to use real tools. Yes, it may involve a trip to the toolbox (or even to the hardware store), but doing it the right way is going to save a lot of time, money, and aggravation through the lifecycle of your product. You need to stop building things for money until you understand the basics of construction.

I would hope that just about any sane person would choose something close to (b). Sure, it may seem a bit harsh, but think about it from the customer prospective: how would you feel if your carpenter asked such a question?

PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE accept advice instead of answers.

If you do not like the replies you are getting, maybe the question was wrong...

source url

(This post was edited by iknowfear on Nov 18, 2013, 2:58 PM)

dagibbs

Nov 18, 2013, 8:07 PM
Post #2 of 2 (586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] Pounding A Nail: Old Shoe or Glass Bottle? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why are all these people not answering my question? All I asked was a simple question about a shoe or a bottle -- I don't want advice about getting a book on carpentry, or buying tools. Just tell me which to use.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$197.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook