Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AO8

Nov 19, 2013, 2:53 AM
Post #1 of 27 (10973 views)
Shortcut

Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I thought Durango, Colorado looked amazing in regards to climbing gym, outdoor climbing, and skiing capabilities in the area. We just got here about an hour ago and were sad to see the sprawling city rather than a small and quaint town we expected.

Typically, we travel and work seasonally for the climbing and skiing capability, but we want to be in small towns and this is just too bumming for us.

We're hoping for something in Colorado that is less commercial and more down to Earth, that can still afford us the opportunity to train indoors during the winter (climbing), and work and attend class online.

Can the climbing community help us? Please, any information in regards to small ski/climbing towns would be appreciated. Thank you!

Regards.

AO8

Nov 19, 2013, 2:55 AM
Post #2 of 27 (10970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AO8] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And we want to stay in Colorado please. I wasn't very clear about that in the original post.

shockabuku

Nov 19, 2013, 3:19 AM
Post #3 of 27 (10958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Good luck. Small town Colorado and climbing gym don't go together too well. Neither do Colorado ski area and non-commercial.

I'd suggest Gunnison, or maybe Nederland(better gyms, lesser skiing).

Maybe look here: http://www.indoorclimbing.com/map.html?Colorado

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Nov 19, 2013, 3:21 AM)

edge

Nov 19, 2013, 3:55 AM
Post #4 of 27 (10939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard good things about Frisco; super close to Vail, and there are a few gyms a short drive down I70, although I know nothing about them.

jt512

Nov 19, 2013, 9:12 AM
Post #5 of 27 (10892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

AO8 wrote:
My girlfriend and I thought Durango, Colorado looked amazing in regards to climbing gym, outdoor climbing, and skiing capabilities in the area. We just got here about an hour ago and were sad to see the sprawling city rather than a small and quaint town we expected.

Typically, we travel and work seasonally for the climbing and skiing capability, but we want to be in small towns and this is just too bumming for us.

We're hoping for something in Colorado that is less commercial and more down to Earth, that can still afford us the opportunity to train indoors during the winter (climbing), and work and attend class online.

Can the climbing community help us? Please, any information in regards to small ski/climbing towns would be appreciated. Thank you!

Regards.

Oh, for heaven's sakes, just move to Boulder already and get it over with.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 19, 2013, 1:32 PM
Post #6 of 27 (10873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha - I have tosay that without being able to read sentiment in the OP, JT's post sounds right...

I've spent a bunch of days in Durango - maybe you just got stuck in that section where the strip malls and big box stores nest along the highway?

There's a cool downtown and plenty of natural beauty in Durango and the surrounding area. Hell, I was stuck there with NO money to drive around and discover things, and I managed to find the charm.

marc801

Nov 19, 2013, 3:28 PM
Post #7 of 27 (10847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehehe.....
Someone actually thinks Durango is a "sprawling city".
Maybe next move they should visit their destination first before committing?

carabiner96

Nov 20, 2013, 12:16 AM
Post #8 of 27 (10761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AO8 wrote:

Regards.

You've given it an hour?!? How did you guys ever get to a second date?

marc801

Nov 20, 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #9 of 27 (10753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
AO8 wrote:
My girlfriend and I thought Durango, Colorado looked amazing in regards to climbing gym, outdoor climbing, and skiing capabilities in the area. We just got here about an hour ago and were sad to see the sprawling city rather than a small and quaint town we expected. ...

You've given it an hour?!? How did you guys ever get to a second date?
I missed that the first time I read it. I modify my earlier comment.....
* OP and GF move to new town without having ever seen it (despite photos on the net and Google Street View)
* they think the town of Durango is a sprawling city
* they've made this negative judgement in all of a whole hour

This is just ridiculous on so many levels. I'm sorry. The OP is either incredibly naive or denser than a box of hammers.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 20, 2013, 1:24 AM
Post #10 of 27 (10743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or trolling.

I still say they rolled in from the east and were greeted by the yucky highway strip of chains. Though there is a nice park down there.

Then they drove north up that road that fronts the downtown area. It, too, is filled with chain stores. If you don't turn off that and wander up the hill, even one block, I can see how you be unhappy.

AO8

Nov 20, 2013, 1:38 AM
Post #11 of 27 (10738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Honestly, what is wrong with playing it a bit reckless in regards to traveling?

I've been living this way for years now and have had the pleasure of working and living in Yosemite Valley, Bishop, Mammoth, Hueco, Joshua Tree, and many different places out East as well.

Its amazing how so many of you in the "climbing scene" don't understand the adventure in it. Its apparent the mass media and corporate world has you snowballed into thinking that we should be scared to death of coming out of our bubble; actually getting out there and doing it ourselves is what its all about. I can read tons of bullshit on the internet but there is nothing comparable to just going for it... Its the experience you twits.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but the effort and experience of being this way is freeing.

To those of you bashing us for moving around and letting the cards fall as they may, have fun with your delusions.

We explored Durango and surrounding areas all day today and can tell its the perfect outdoor paradise for us. Just because the population is over 4k and corporate america has rushed in to destroy the heart of the town, doesn't mean we can't take advantage of its landscapes... I posted the original thread because we were curious to see what else was offered in this illustrious state.

I'm perplexed at some of you for your lack of surprise that some people in this world still value having a real adventure versus being locked into a cubicle all day and believing what you're told. You're robots and I do not pity you.

To those of you that were kind in your replies, thank you! Perhaps I'll catch some of you outside having adventures of your own.

I'm guessing most of the bashing is coming from "climbers" who pull on plastic more often than getting to the real business of climbing. NO THANKS.

(This post was edited by AO8 on Nov 20, 2013, 1:46 AM)

carabiner96

Nov 20, 2013, 1:53 AM
Post #12 of 27 (10723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AO8 wrote:

I've been living this way for years now and have had the pleasure of working and living in Yosemite Valley, Bishop, Mammoth, Hueco, Joshua Tree, and many different places out East as well.

Its amazing how so many of you in the "climbing scene" don't understand the adventure in it. Its apparent the mass media and corporate world has you snowballed into thinking that we should be scared to death of coming out of our bubble; actually getting out there and doing it ourselves is what its all about. I can read tons of bullshit on the internet but there is nothing comparable to just going for it... Its the experience you twits.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but the effort and experience of being this way is freeing.

To those of you bashing us for moving around and letting the cards fall as they may, have fun with your delusions.

We explored Durango and surrounding areas all day today and can tell its the perfect outdoor paradise for us. Just because the population is over 4k and corporate america has rushed in to destroy the heart of the town, doesn't mean we can't take advantage of its landscapes... I posted the original thread because we were curious to see what else was offered in this illustrious state.

I'm perplexed at some of you for your lack of surprise that some people in this world still value having a real adventure versus being locked into a cubicle all day and believing what you're told. You're robots and I do not pity you.

To those of you that were kind in your replies, thank you! Perhaps I'll catch some of you outside having adventures of your own.

I'm guessing most of the bashing is coming from "climbers" who pull on plastic more often than getting to the real business of climbing. NO THANKS.
QFP.

And for someone who is bragging about being such a free spirit all of us 'twits' should be envious of, you sure hit the panic button fast.

AO8

Nov 20, 2013, 1:58 AM
Post #13 of 27 (10720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, definitely panicked...

Give me a break dude.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 20, 2013, 2:33 AM
Post #14 of 27 (10694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:

The last three times I traveled cross country, it took me between 2weeks and a month each time because I left knowing I didn't have gas money to get there in one shot(let's just not think about any van problems occurring).

So, I know reckless. And the post you made off the bat came off as something way different than that! Remember, it's hard to read emotion in text, especially from someone you don't know. I think it was the "this is too bumming for us" mixed with "been here an hour" that jumped out of the post you made.

I spent about 5 days in Durango this past spring, and 3 a few years ago. I thought that it might be a place I could settle, if I ever decided to settle in the southwest.

Anyway - I am glad that you took the time to explore, and that you found it is actually pretty cool.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 20, 2013, 2:38 AM
Post #15 of 27 (10692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And I gotta ad....

In reply to:

You are upset that people made judgements based on the few sentences you wrote, and then come back with that doozy!?

I don't recall anyone mentioning cubicles, and if I may...it was yourself who seemed disillusioned with "what you had been told(about Durango)."

jorgegonzalez

Nov 20, 2013, 2:46 AM
Post #16 of 27 (10681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I have any credibility being from Los Angeles (he, he) my money is on either Gunnison or Ouray.

olderic

Nov 20, 2013, 4:09 AM
Post #17 of 27 (10659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AO8 wrote:
Yeah, definitely panicked...

Give me a break dude.

One hint for you "dude". People that are actually life you are pretend to portray - the adventurers willing to take a risk. - don't spend much time on the Internet. Trolls on the other hand...

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 20, 2013, 1:24 PM
Post #18 of 27 (10612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would disagree with that, Olderic. People are so easily connected these days, with phones, pads(no, not bouldering pads) and easy to find free wifi. Plus, using the net to keep in touch with family and friends is a LOT easier than separate phone calls, obligations to make time to see acquaintances in person when in town and such.

Sure, if someone is the sort who is spending much of their time in way-back country,it might be different, but really - how many of even the most hard-core adventurers is out of range for vast tracts of time? I can easily name a few big names(Alex Honnold, Ammon McNeely, Timmy O'Neil, as examples) - ones no climber could dismiss as anything but top tier - and each of them posts to the various venues they frequent quite regularly.

Besides, the OP has only a few posts here!

dynosore

Nov 20, 2013, 2:51 PM
Post #19 of 27 (10598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Different strokes for different folks OP, relax. Some of us enjoy the security of being "robots in cubicles". Actually I work in research and love going to work every day. I have kids to think about so being such a hard core awesome free spirit like you isn't really an option. Some day you'll grow up and realize there's more to life than climbing, enjoy yourself in the meantime and quit looking down your nose at others.

olderic

Nov 20, 2013, 7:27 PM
Post #20 of 27 (10548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I would disagree with that, Olderic. People are so easily connected these days, with phones, pads(no, not bouldering pads) and easy to find free wifi. Plus, using the net to keep in touch with family and friends is a LOT easier than separate phone calls, obligations to make time to see acquaintances in person when in town and such.

Sure, if someone is the sort who is spending much of their time in way-back country,it might be different, but really - how many of even the most hard-core adventurers is out of range for vast tracts of time? I can easily name a few big names(Alex Honnold, Ammon McNeely, Timmy O'Neil, as examples) - ones no climber could dismiss as anything but top tier - and each of them posts to the various venues they frequent quite regularly.

Besides, the OP has only a few posts here!
I agree taht it is extremely easy to be/stay connected. Depending on the availble technology (boils down to $$$) pretty much anyone can do it anyplace. But the examples you give aren't exactly the free spirits that the OP is tying to portray - they are professionals coldly calculating the cost benifit of their communications (or at least having someone do taht for them).

Fred20

Nov 20, 2013, 10:55 PM
Post #21 of 27 (10515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traveling the states hardly seems "adventurous" to me

nothing more annoying than a pretentious "adventurer"...no need to climb when you are already looking down your nose at everyone

AO8

Nov 21, 2013, 1:49 AM
Post #22 of 27 (10499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fred20] Just Moved to Durango, Colorado and not Psyched... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I beg to differ. Traveling the states is definitely adventurous. And whose to say I haven't traveled elsewhere on the planet? I don't remember inferring that in the least.

Anyways, this thread has become ridiculous. The internet is useful to some extent, but forums such as this prove disappointing more often than not.

Too bad.

shockabuku

Nov 21, 2013, 2:16 AM
Post #23 of 27 (10485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AO8 wrote:
I beg to differ. Traveling the states is definitely adventurous. And whose to say I haven't traveled elsewhere on the planet? I don't remember inferring that in the least.

Anyways, this thread has become ridiculous. The internet is useful to some extent, but forums such as this prove disappointing more often than not.

Too bad.

This forum is never disappointing - depending on your expectations.

Gmburns2000

Nov 21, 2013, 12:36 PM
Post #24 of 27 (10428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

AO8 wrote:

From a guy who left the corporate healthcare finance world to move to Chile (without knowing more than "hola" in Spanish) and then to Brasil a few months after (without knowing more than "oi tudo bem"), you sound like a bit of a whiner.

1) if you're that adventurous, then you tend to wait a few days before passing judgement. I know this because with all of my travels it's natural to learn to wait.

2) if you're that adventurous you tend to see what's on offer before seeing the flaws first. I have never been to a city or town where I wasn't curious in the beginning to know more to see if I'd like it. I didn't like them all, but being adventurous is pretty synonymous with accepting what comes your way, at least in the beginning.

3) I don't think you're that adventurous at all. I think you're seeking comfort. You might even be running away from something (not talking about crimes, but more having to deal with something you don't want to deal with).

4) Everyone is adventurous in different ways, I get it. But that's part of the running away.

marc801

Nov 21, 2013, 3:45 PM
Post #25 of 27 (10390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AO8 wrote:
Only because you didn't get the agreement you thought you were entitled to receive.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook