Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Elbow, arm and wrist pain. Medial Epicondylitis?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

AllForPicard

Dec 4, 2013, 2:29 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1396 views)
Shortcut

Elbow, arm and wrist pain. Medial Epicondylitis?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I might come across as a whiny wuss here, it might indeed be true, but I'm worried that I might be developing some kind of Medial Epicondylitis. The problem is that I'm not exactly sure that's what it is.

The pain started about a week ago (I have only been climbing for 8 months) and the pain is intermittent, I can still climb if I take it easy. Located mostly to the inside of the elbows but also in the over arms (bicep-triceps, it comes in flashes in different spots), on the outside of the under arms (if hands face down-wards) and similar pain as in elbow in the wrist, just started, in a point below the palm and also about 5 cm below on the outside of the wrist (still hands face down-wards).

Is this a normal description of Medial Epicondylitis? Or any suggestions what it else might be and/or what to be done?

I hope I managed to describe it to an understandable degree. (I'm sorry for the grammar, since English is not my mother tongue)

Thank you

sonso45

Dec 4, 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AllForPicard] Elbow, arm and wrist pain. Medial Epicondylitis? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you need to rest your arm, much as I have to do. I have the same pain in my right arm and it's not a new injury. Last time, rest and rehab did the trick. I'm nursing it and trying to keep it going for a bit.

I was cured last time when I took six weeks off of climbing. Lasted for a few years then it came back.

winabago

Feb 24, 2014, 6:22 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Elbow, arm and wrist pain. Medial Epicondylitis? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope you have recovered from your pain. I have the similar experience (tennis elbow). I stopped climbing for a year because of that annoying pain. At the end, I am going to the Acupuncture (8 treatments). It helps when you first start to have that pain. I am climbing again now but after 2 months of pain in the bouldering gym, the pain comes again. I am now taking easy or trying to tape my elbow see if it works.

hbusch

Feb 25, 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #4 of 6 (971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AllForPicard] Elbow, arm and wrist pain. Medial Epicondylitis? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What helped me is stretching as often as you can and a workout for the pronators as described here:
http://www.nicros.com/...ting-climbers-elbow/
where you can see a lady with the hammer doing the workout.
Wishing you a quick convalescence.

shockabuku

Feb 25, 2014, 8:14 PM
Post #5 of 6 (936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winabago] Elbow, arm and wrist pain. Medial Epicondylitis? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quitting doesn't seem to help unless you never want to climb again. Eccentric exercises like the ones the above poster mentioned, coupled with effective stretching and forearm massage helped me last time I had lateral epicondylitis. Not climbing sucks though less intense climbing may help.

hbusch

Feb 26, 2014, 12:31 PM
Post #6 of 6 (875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hbusch] Elbow, arm and wrist pain. Medial Epicondylitis? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hbusch wrote:
What helped me is stretching as often as you can and a workout for the pronators as described here:
http://www.nicros.com/...ting-climbers-elbow/
where you can see a lady with the hammer doing the workout.
Wishing you a quick convalescence.

I forgot one thing: Do not forget to strectch after each route you finished.
After you climbed a pitch your muscles tend to keep contracted and it's your task to stretch them just after you are done.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook