Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
lateral epicondylitis treatment success??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

alliekap

Jan 15, 2014, 1:43 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1703 views)
Shortcut

lateral epicondylitis treatment success??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know there's already a bunch of threads about lateral epi but it's super hard to sort out what people have posted and find what's worked and what hasn't worked for people.

I had lateral epicondylitis for about a year and gave up climbing for a lot of that time. during that time, I tried everything... I did the icing, ultrasound, eccentric excercises, pronation/supination exercises, took natural supplements (that cost me like, 50 bucks a month), tried kinesio-taping, rest, blah blah... nothing seemed to work and I was still in pain. then after a year-ish I found out I had lyme disease and after an mri didn't show any obvious tendon issues, I blamed the lymes for my pain and went back to climbing.

since then, have been climbing again for maybe 8 months and have been fine. then, a month or two ago, I started having pain around the area of my intertubercular groove (upper arm biceps area) with internal and external shoulder rotation. not even sure if that's related to the lateral epi but yeah, that happened. anyway, ignored it of course cause it wasn't so bad, and kept climbing. I'm a PT student, and this past week, have had some people practicing techniques on my shoulder, elbow, and forearm areas, and not sure if that's caused it to become even more irritated or just made an already-present problem worse, but either way, it seems my lateral epicondylitis is back in full force.

I'm aware that there's a million different possible treatments for this (and unfortunately, have experience trying a bunch of different things). I really just want to know if anything's actually permanently worked for anyone. It would really kill me to stop climbing as it's been the only thing keeping me sane these days..

Does anyone have any experience with platelet rich plasma injections or active release techniques? I've read into these things (specifically, the PRP injections), and I know there's not too much research backing either of them, but if anyone has any success stories, I'd really love to hear about them!!

help me pleasee!!!! Unsure

Shanna

Jan 15, 2014, 4:46 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alliekap] lateral epicondylitis treatment success?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had issues with my shoulder. It was never officially diagnosed with imaging, but two PTs, labeled it is bursitis and adhesions in the joint capsule (it was not a full-blown case of frozen shoulder but if I had not done something I might have ended up there). To answer your question (N-1), I had good success with active release combined with movement exercises to retrain my shoulder and learn how to "pack" them. If you are in Utah, I can recommend someone for ART.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook