Forums: Community: Campground:
You are not wanted here.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4074 4075 4076 4077 4078 4079 4080 4081 4082 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

lena_chita

Jan 16, 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #101926 of 105309 (4468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Lost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
curt wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Is Joshua Tree in late June a bad idea?

Inquiring minds need to know.

It's quite possible to climb comfortably at JT year round--if you know where to go. Ask Todd Gordon. And no, I'm not the same lunkhead camhead was referring to.

Curt

sure, it's possible. but there are also better options.

I don't think I will experience CA in early June anytime soon, given the constraints of my schedule. Too bad, I think it would be pretty...

granite_grrl

Jan 16, 2014, 12:42 PM
Post #101927 of 105309 (4458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Lost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
cracklover wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

Speaking of inquiring minds...

I'm doing my annual self evaluation at work. What joy. This year they've changed the form a bit. New section for "core competencies". Y'know, stuff like collaboration, customer focus, that kind of thing. Okay, all well and good. Except that one of the evaluation sections is titled "Operational Excellence". What the fuck does that mean? Isn't that just a fancy way of saying "Does his/her job"? What kind of core competency is that? It's totally stupid.

How do you reply to that? "Yes, me good worker. Do job very good." WTF?

GO

That sounds painful! I am so glad i don't have to do that. Do they have ANY explanation/bullet points for what sort of things they are looking for? I have a hard time writing student evaluations, and that is set up with lots and lots of leading questions and explanations of what parameters they are looking for.

I had to do a self evaluation this year, but it fortunatly included things like "I would like this and that training course to support this and that machine better".

I'm still waiting to have a sit down....and then I can get mah raise!

granite_grrl

Jan 16, 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #101928 of 105309 (4456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
curt wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

It's quite possible to climb comfortably at JT year round--if you know where to go. Ask Todd Gordon. And no, I'm not the same lunkhead camhead was referring to.

Curt

I don't think I will experience CA in early June anytime soon, given the constraints of my schedule. Too bad, I think it would be pretty...

You had a pretty good run last hear going here and there. Not as many trips for you this year?

climbingtrash

Jan 16, 2014, 2:39 PM
Post #101929 of 105309 (4445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Lost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

Speaking of inquiring minds...

I'm doing my annual self evaluation at work. What joy. This year they've changed the form a bit. New section for "core competencies". Y'know, stuff like collaboration, customer focus, that kind of thing. Okay, all well and good. Except that one of the evaluation sections is titled "Operational Excellence". What the fuck does that mean? Isn't that just a fancy way of saying "Does his/her job"? What kind of core competency is that? It's totally stupid.

How do you reply to that? "Yes, me good worker. Do job very good." WTF?

GO

First werld problems.

granite_grrl

Jan 16, 2014, 5:04 PM
Post #101930 of 105309 (4428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] Lost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I oculdn't get the live stream to work this morning, but Nathan topped out the route in the Qualifiers in Romania! They usually run two routes at the same time and he placed 9 or 20 on his side.

In Korea they took the top 9 from each side (18 total). My fingers are crossed that Nathan has made it to semis!

lena_chita

Jan 16, 2014, 8:21 PM
Post #101931 of 105309 (4414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Lost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
curt wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

Curt

You had a pretty good run last hear going here and there. Not as many trips for you this year?

Probably not, But I meant it's more about time constraints, too, instead of just the number of trips. I can't just go on a trip in October, or in early June, because my trips are related to kids school schedule, kwim?

granite_grrl

Jan 16, 2014, 8:34 PM
Post #101932 of 105309 (4410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
So I oculdn't get the live stream to work this morning, but Nathan topped out the route in the Qualifiers in Romania! They usually run two routes at the same time and he placed 9 or 20 on his side.

In Korea they took the top 9 from each side (18 total). My fingers are crossed that Nathan has made it to semis!

Semis!

lena_chita

Jan 16, 2014, 8:50 PM
Post #101933 of 105309 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

I just saw that. Nice! Hope it goes well. No streaming?

granite_grrl

Jan 16, 2014, 9:50 PM
Post #101934 of 105309 (4397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

There is streaming, but I couldn't get it to work for me today from work. Seeing as he'll be climbing sometime tomorrow morning again I'll have to figure out how to make it work. I can't see it being blocked by something at work. Maybe I have to get my flash player up to date?

snoopy138

Jan 16, 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #101935 of 105309 (4384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

swete. this is teh first semis he's made in the whirled cup, write?

snoopy138

Jan 16, 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #101936 of 105309 (4382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

There is streaming, but I couldn't get it to work for me today from work. Seeing as he'll be climbing sometime tomorrow morning again I'll have to figure out how to make it work. I can't see it being blocked by something at work. Maybe I have to get my flash player up to date?

post up a link, although it might be happening before I even get into werk.

granite_grrl

Jan 17, 2014, 1:54 AM
Post #101937 of 105309 (4362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

kerrect. He's kinda changed strategy....instead of trying to climb fast he's just trying not to fall off.

granite_grrl

Jan 17, 2014, 1:57 AM
Post #101938 of 105309 (4362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

post up a link, although it might be happening before I even get into werk.

Should show up here when the time comes.

lena_chita

Jan 17, 2014, 2:52 AM
Post #101939 of 105309 (4353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

kerrect. He's kinda changed strategy....instead of trying to climb fast he's just trying not to fall off.

Seems legit to me!

snoopy138

Jan 17, 2014, 3:34 AM
Post #101940 of 105309 (4346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

yeah, not falling off is definitely a gud strategy.

I imagine all teh weird ass wooden bollard training helps also.

chossmonkey

Jan 17, 2014, 3:59 AM
Post #101941 of 105309 (4342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems I've rolled my way into semis!

That iz awl...

I wont seez your replyz as I am saving my enegry and band width for things other than wading thru this thread.

chossmonkey

Jan 17, 2014, 4:07 AM
Post #101942 of 105309 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Semis!

durp

not falling off was always the main point of my strategy. But climbing fast is super important. Last year I put too much emphasis on going fast which messed up the not fallling off part.

tripperjm

Jan 17, 2014, 3:35 PM
Post #101943 of 105309 (4308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:

That iz awl...

I wont seez your replyz as I am saving my enegry and band width for things other than wading thru this thread.

gongratulations champ, we are awl very proud ov ewe....

cood have lived withowt teh diss though.

lena_chita

Jan 17, 2014, 5:07 PM
Post #101944 of 105309 (4282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Completely out of character for BET< but I thought this was a good read:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/01/do_what_you_love_love_what_you_do_an_omnipresent_mantra_that_s_bad_for_work.2.html

In reply to:
Nowhere has the DWYL mantra been more devastating to its adherents than in academia. The average Ph.D. student of the mid-2000s forwent the easy money of finance and law (now slightly less easy) to live on a meager stipend in order to pursue his passion for Norse mythology or the history of Afro-Cuban music.

The reward for answering this higher calling is an academic employment marketplace in which about 41 percent of American faculty are adjunct professors—contract instructors who usually receive low pay, no benefits, no office, no job security, and no long-term stake in the schools where they work.

There are many factors that keep Ph.D.s providing such high-skilled labor for such low wages, including path dependency and the sunk costs of earning a Ph.D., but one of the strongest is how pervasively the DWYL doctrine is embedded in academia. Few other professions fuse the personal identity of their workers so intimately with the work output. Because academic research should be done out of pure love, the actual conditions of and compensation for this labor become afterthoughts, if they are considered at all.

In “Academic Labor, the Aesthetics of Management, and the Promise of Autonomous Work,” Sarah Brouillette writes of academic faculty, “[O]ur faith that our work offers non-material rewards, and is more integral to our identity than a ‘regular’ job would be, makes us ideal employees when the goal of management is to extract our labor’s maximum value at minimum cost.”

I'm thinking of you, camhead, Doc... and myself, of course.

snoopy138

Jan 17, 2014, 6:08 PM
Post #101945 of 105309 (4272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:

That iz awl...

I'd say that maybe this means teh champ will come back after teh whirled cup, but somehow I doubt it.

caughtinside

Jan 17, 2014, 7:38 PM
Post #101946 of 105309 (4254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/01/do_what_you_love_love_what_you_do_an_omnipresent_mantra_that_s_bad_for_work.2.html

In reply to:
Nowhere has the DWYL mantra been more devastating to its adherents than in academia. The average Ph.D. student of the mid-2000s forwent the easy money of finance and law (now slightly less easy) to live on a meager stipend in order to pursue his passion for Norse mythology or the history of Afro-Cuban music.

The reward for answering this higher calling is an academic employment marketplace in which about 41 percent of American faculty are adjunct professors—contract instructors who usually receive low pay, no benefits, no office, no job security, and no long-term stake in the schools where they work.

There are many factors that keep Ph.D.s providing such high-skilled labor for such low wages, including path dependency and the sunk costs of earning a Ph.D., but one of the strongest is how pervasively the DWYL doctrine is embedded in academia. Few other professions fuse the personal identity of their workers so intimately with the work output. Because academic research should be done out of pure love, the actual conditions of and compensation for this labor become afterthoughts, if they are considered at all.

In “Academic Labor, the Aesthetics of Management, and the Promise of Autonomous Work,” Sarah Brouillette writes of academic faculty, “[O]ur faith that our work offers non-material rewards, and is more integral to our identity than a ‘regular’ job would be, makes us ideal employees when the goal of management is to extract our labor’s maximum value at minimum cost.”

If 41% of professors are way underpaid adjuncts, why is college so fucking expensive now?

lena_chita

Jan 17, 2014, 8:30 PM
Post #101947 of 105309 (4238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

In reply to:

If 41% of professors are way underpaid adjuncts, why is college so fucking expensive now?

You've got to support the college athletics program! Football, man! And basketball...

Honestly, IDK.

snoopy138

Jan 17, 2014, 9:01 PM
Post #101948 of 105309 (4232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

In reply to:

You've got to support the college athletics program! Football, man! And basketball...

At many schools that spend significantly on football and basketball, those programs generate enough money to easily support themselves, including the exorbitant head coaches salaries, and often cover a lot of the additional athletic costs.

lena_chita

Jan 17, 2014, 11:42 PM
Post #101949 of 105309 (4202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

In reply to:

At many schools that spend significantly on football and basketball, those programs generate enough money to easily support themselves, including the exorbitant head coaches salaries, and often cover a lot of the additional athletic costs.

In all seriousness, I think it is because of all the "extras". Basically, colleges add stuff (think more programs, more majors, more departments) and hardly ever subtract stuff. If you look at a University a 100years ago, all the departments that existed then, still exist now, but how many more have been added?

And "stuff" tends to be more technology-dense, thus more expensive. Think Biology lab now, vs. 100 years ago.

And then there are all sorts of extra programs that people come to expect. Counselors, career development, support groups, and what not.

And don't forget dining halls, and rec centers, and so on.

climbingtrash

Jan 17, 2014, 11:53 PM
Post #101950 of 105309 (4198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:

That iz awl...

Who are ewe again?

First page Previous page 1 ... 4074 4075 4076 4077 4078 4079 4080 4081 4082 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook