RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

1climbergirl

Feb 15, 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #1 of 15 (5952 views)
Shortcut

Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So the last time (merely about 2 months ago)I did something incredibly stupid. I tried to boulder with my bare feet with no bouldering pad. I haven't gone for about 4 feet I think, when I landed and "sprained" or "turfed" my middle toe. It was really painful the whole 2 weeks I could barely walk, but it's been like 2 months now since I climbed, now I've been craving to climb again but the middle toe is still sore but not as much painful. I never went to the doctor because I would always thought it would go away on its own. I try twisting it but it doesn't hurt as much but when I bend it it's still painful.

I don't want to go to the doctor, I just want to ask if some people have gone through this. I will climb this Thursday for the first time ever again and Im thinking if one damaged middle toe (right foot) would affect my climb.

Thanks.

(This post was edited by 1climbergirl on Feb 15, 2014, 10:31 AM)

chadnsc

Feb 15, 2014, 2:15 PM
Post #2 of 15 (5866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1climbergirl] Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is going to be a bit succinct and impolite but . . . .

1. Don't ask for medical advice on a climbing form, we can't see your injury and will have no way of knowing what's wrong with you and you have no way of knowing what qualifications they have to give you medical advice.

2. You should see a doctor. I know you don't want to but do
you want the best chance of healing without a chronic impediment? Go to a doctor.

3. Violates rule #1 but in addition to being sprained your toe could also be: dislocated, broken, have tendon damage, have a pinched nerve, have a bone chip, ect. Go to a doctor.

4. Don't push it. If it hurts do to _______ don't do it.

I wish you a speedy recovery, please see a doctor.

1climbergirl

Feb 16, 2014, 10:14 AM
Post #3 of 15 (5767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I understand but I wasn't asking for a med advice, I just want to know if someone has gone through the same situation as mine and also if a small toe injury might affect my climbing. I think I may consider going to the doctor when you said "pinched nerve". Thanks for the post though.

lena_chita

Feb 16, 2014, 4:43 PM
Post #4 of 15 (5733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1climbergirl] Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

1climbergirl wrote:
So the last time (merely about 2 months ago)I did something incredibly stupid. I tried to boulder with my bare feet with no bouldering pad. I haven't gone for about 4 feet I think, when I landed and "sprained" or "turfed" my middle toe. It was really painful the whole 2 weeks I could barely walk, but it's been like 2 months now since I climbed, now I've been craving to climb again but the middle toe is still sore but not as much painful. I never went to the doctor because I would always thought it would go away on its own. I try twisting it but it doesn't hurt as much but when I bend it it's still painful.

I don't want to go to the doctor, I just want to ask if some people have gone through this. I will climb this Thursday for the first time ever again and Im thinking if one damaged middle toe (right foot) would affect my climb.

Thanks.

Wait, so you did this at some point before you were asking all the advice about dynoing and stuff? Your description of the timing just doesn't mesh with the timing of when you said you went climbing before...

Yes, you need to go to the doctor.

As to whether it would affect your climbing... well, are you even able to fit into climbing shoes without pain? If it is painful to walk on, imagine how painful it would be to put all your weight on your toes.

Pro athletes who have to keep playing their soccer, or whatever, with turfed toe, tape their toes, or wear steel plate inside the shoes to prevent too much flexion.

You are not there, you don't have an important game or trip coming up. Talk to the doctor, and let it heal. And then, try to avoid doing stupid shit in the future.

1climbergirl

Feb 17, 2014, 12:37 AM
Post #5 of 15 (5703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, a few days later after asking about dyno, some friends went barefoot bouldering so I also tried too and had a crappy landing so I turfed my middle toe. It's not like it's already like 2 months, more likely a month and week or so but it seems to me it's like 2 months already. (If I remember correctly, my latest post was 2 weeks of january or so..)

I can walk normally without pain but when I bump my middle toe it hurts like hell even now. I stopped climbing after that so Im really craving for a climb, and yeah I'll definitely not doing it again.

(This post was edited by 1climbergirl on Feb 17, 2014, 12:42 AM)

onceahardman

Feb 17, 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #6 of 15 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A "turf toe" injury is generally an injury to the 1st MTP joint. They are quite painful and debilitating.

I had an elite athlete, a Div I starting point guard, who had a turf toe injury. 6 MONTHS after the injury, she was looking for answers. She was still unable to run without pain.

There is usually not a surgical or medical option for this. It is usually a soft tissue injury (joint capsule/ligament) in a joint that is used on every step you take. It needs to heal.

If you see a doc, you may end up in a cam walker or similar walking boot for a month or more.

It is one of those injuries in which the pain is totally out of proportion with how medically serious the condition is.

1climbergirl

Feb 17, 2014, 1:27 PM
Post #7 of 15 (5637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6 months? I don't think my injury is as bad as you described. See I can walk and run normally without pain, it's just that when my middle toe suddenly gets forced or something it really hurts like had an electric shock or something and still looks sore until now. I'm just worried about if it may affect my climbing since it's just the middle toe. I don't think i'm going to need a cam walker or something. I would always say I'm going to the doctor but I'm scared, i think i'll find time to gain courage or something, either way I'll still try to climb this Thursday.

To that idiot who called me a troll

Please be stupid somewhere else, make your own thread and start bash people there. I just LOGGED IN yesterday ever since I last asked my question and haven't climbed ever since then so I dont remember when I last posted my questions (probably can't even climb anymore). If you're not going to say anything helpful, do me a favor and don't comment here, because it seems to me YOU ARE THE TROLL for bashing on my own thread.

rocknice2

Feb 17, 2014, 3:01 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1climbergirl wrote:
To that idiot who called me a troll
Please be stupid somewhere else,

Your freaked about your thin little bones, then you try to learn how to dyno and now it seems that you're bouldering without a crashpad.
I'll gladly be stupid somewhere else because you definitely have this thread covered.

Please go see a doctor.
If your not clear as to your physical condition it's important to seek professional advice.
It's impossible to tell if you have a little ouchie or a more serious problem. Considering your previous posts about your physical weakness I'd say it's time to seek a doctors advice, but what do I know.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on Feb 17, 2014, 3:10 PM)

chadnsc

Feb 17, 2014, 6:26 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1climbergirl wrote:
6 months? I don't think my injury is as bad as you described. See I can walk and run . . .

::sigh::

Yup, just like I thought. See #1.

1climbergirl

Feb 18, 2014, 2:40 AM
Post #10 of 15 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah so firstly I already know that i am an idiot for doing crazy stuff like dynoing and barefoot bouldering I understand that, point taken I created the thread to know if there's someone else whos in the same boat as mine. But as you all say I'll definetely go to the doctor plus it's not that I am weak I was just worried about my little arms but well the doc said I'm fine so... What I'm pissed about is you call me a troll, on my own thread. Why would I waste my time trolling here, I mean you guys have I assumed climbed for years or so, so you actually know better that's why I'm here asking. Either way I got your point.

1climbergirl

Feb 18, 2014, 2:47 AM
Post #11 of 15 (5533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know why I told everything to you again? Because your story does not fit the discription of my situation. Why would you tell something you know that isn't in the same situation as mine? You know I can walk normally then you introduced a cam walker. Yea you should definetely see post#1

lena_chita

Feb 18, 2014, 1:56 PM
Post #12 of 15 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I removed a few posts that went off-topic from this thread.
Let's not get too worked up about this, and stay on topic.

chadnsc

Feb 18, 2014, 4:43 PM
Post #13 of 15 (5444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1climbergirl wrote:
You know why I told everything to you again? Because your story does not fit the discription of my situation. Why would you tell something you know that isn't in the same situation as mine? You know I can walk normally then you introduced a cam walker. Yea you should definetely see post#1

1. I din't mention the cam walker, oncehardman did.

2. A cam walker isn't used just so you can walk without pain. It's used to protect / limit bending the injured joint so it can heal.

3. If you'd gone to a doctor you'd know this and be well on your way to healing.

Partner cracklover

Feb 19, 2014, 4:17 PM
Post #14 of 15 (5377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1climbergirl wrote:
I created the thread to know if there's someone else whos in the same boat as mine.

Here's the trouble - you're asking for something impossible.

I, like you, once gave myself an unknown toe injury and did not go to the doctor. Did I do the same thing to my toe as you did to yours? Who knows. Neither of us know what happened to our toe, nor do we know what happened to the other person's. So we have no points of reference or commonality. I have nothing to offer you that would actually be helpful to your situation.

I could tell you that my toe festered and eventually had to be cut off (it didn't) or I could tell you that within two months it was better and now it's like nothing happened (also not true). Either of those two things *could* be true (for example I could have gotten a break that didn't heal, or I could've gotten a mild sprain), but might have nothing to do with what happened to you.

But since you asked, I'll tell you. I jammed my toe while jumping and then landing on it funny in bare feet. It swelled up a bit at the time, and then for around five years it worked mostly okay, but the middle joint wouldn't bend at all, and the slightest bang on the end would hurt like a motherfucker. Now, about twelve years later, it hurts less if it's banged, but the joint is still frozen in place. The other day I banged it slightly, and because the joint is frozen in place, there's no "give" - so it jammed pretty hard and bled internally, causing me to lose the nail.

The truth, though, is that you have no idea if I did the same thing you did, so if you're smart, you'll completely disregard the above paragraph as having any meaningful connection to you.

Good luck with your toe,

GO

onceahardman

Feb 19, 2014, 10:11 PM
Post #15 of 15 (5334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Turfed Toe from barefoot bouldering, NOT HEALING question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have much agreement with you, but also some disagreement.

Of course one can never know whether two injuries are the same. But I don't think that is exactly what the OP is asking. I think the OP probably finds it helpful to hear that other people have had injuries to similar body parts, and were able to return to normal activity, even if that activity is altered or limited.

Even seeing a doctor and getting imaging done can result in confusion. Two people could have very similar lumbar MRIs, for example, and have very different symptoms. I recall one study which showed that 39% of an asymptomatic population was positive for herniated or bulging disc.

Again, these were asymptomatic patients. And surgeons use MRIs to justify surgery all the time.

Anyway, I really don't think it harms anybody to ask for help. I don't understand why there should be so much animosity toward someone seeking help. If you can't help, leave it alone.

Back to the OP...even if the toe is fractured, there is usually not much treatment done. Keep it immobilized until the bone heals. I have a couple crooked toes, one from climbing, one from soccer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook