RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

slinklater

Oct 16, 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #1 of 12 (15056 views)
Shortcut

abdominal surgery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm scheduled to have some abdominal surgery that will require a vertical incision above the belly button and then north 6 inches or so. The cut will be in between the muscles but through the connective tissues. I primarily boulder and am concerned with lose of core muslces and/or re-injury from pulling too hard or falling. Has anyone had this type of surgery and what were your recovery experiences? time till climbing again? any tips?

shiro16

Oct 16, 2013, 7:16 AM
Post #2 of 12 (14988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slinklater] abdominal surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pee em sent.

slinklater

Feb 20, 2014, 3:53 AM
Post #3 of 12 (14696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

so in an attempt to encourage others with similiar scenarios, here was my story and healing progression. I primarily boulder, and during this time frame stuck to the gym.

so i had the surgery on October 28th and was in the hospital for 4 days following what is known as a extended right colectomy where they remove a section of your large intestine by going in through a vertical incision of about 7 inches the jogs around the belly button. the issue is that it goes right along the natural abominal line right in the middle, and there is the inner sutures the hold together the abdominal wall tissue, then the outer sutures that hold together the skin, in my case it was glued together. I was on my back for 2 weeks with little ability to roll around, lift my legs, or really use any core strength. coughing and sneezing were near impossible. at about mid-December i could start to do light leg lifts and could walk around the block but it was painful. The day before Christmas i returned to the gym and could hold onto the wall on a V0 for just a few moments (prior i was a v4-v5 climber). by new years i could climb about half way up a v0. On january 27th, almost 3 months after, i sneezed and for the first time it didn't hurt. Today, feb 19th, i just climbed my first v4 since last october and i didn't have any abdominal pain.

what did i learn? first, always have someone with you in the hospital - your care increases significantly. second, do as little as possible for 4 weeks. I went back to my desk job at 3 weeks and regreted it. third, swab the incision with hyrogen proxide everyday - once i started this habit upon surgeons suggestion it healed much more quickly. fourth, i didn't lose as much strength as i thought i would - in fact i healed a couple of nagging injuries, so don't worry it will all come back pretty quickly. fifth, falling is no issue at all - orginally i was concerned but its kind of a natural progression...by the time was able to climb high the other parts were healed enough to take the impact

I hope this is helpful for those facing similar procedures

(This post was edited by slinklater on Feb 20, 2014, 4:01 AM)

slinklater

Feb 20, 2014, 3:54 AM
Post #4 of 12 (14695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shiro16] abdominal surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the message - it was helpful to hear your experience

Appelkoos

Feb 20, 2014, 7:27 AM
Post #5 of 12 (14668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation - had an emergency appendictomy late last month, and not sure what my rehab outlook is going to be like.

I was back to work after 2 weeks, could sneeze after 3 weeks, and about to get back into some gentle swimming.

Judging by your experience (2 months off, 2 months to get strength back) I'm guessing that my rehab is happening at about twice your pace.

Thanks for your follow-up post: keeps me motivated. In the mean time I'll stick to finger training toys and typing online forum responses.

amarius

Feb 20, 2014, 9:22 PM
Post #6 of 12 (14630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

February 6 was in a single car auto accident - 4 broken ribs, L4 lacerated spleen, 1L of blood loss, pneumothorax.
Splenectomy resulted in 7in incision just below the sternum, going South, held together by staples.
Was out of surgery early hours on Friday. Out of CCU Saturday noon, walking around Saturday afternoon. Out of hospital Monday afternoon.
Staples were removed on Feb 17th. Surgeon was satisfied with the state of incision. Told me to ease into running. Also said that ribs take 6 weeks to heal, also mentioned that, in high school, he played football with broken ribs ;). He suggested that I should ease into any activity that loads abdominals, mentioned that it usually takes 6 weeks for things to get back to normal.
Have a PT friend who promised to get me started on rehab.

We'll see how it goes

onceahardman

Feb 21, 2014, 11:21 PM
Post #7 of 12 (14575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] abdominal surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amarius wrote:
February 6 was in a single car auto accident - 4 broken ribs, L4 lacerated spleen, 1L of blood loss, pneumothorax.
Splenectomy resulted in 7in incision just below the sternum, going South, held together by staples.
Was out of surgery early hours on Friday. Out of CCU Saturday noon, walking around Saturday afternoon. Out of hospital Monday afternoon.
Staples were removed on Feb 17th. Surgeon was satisfied with the state of incision. Told me to ease into running. Also said that ribs take 6 weeks to heal, also mentioned that, in high school, he played football with broken ribs ;). He suggested that I should ease into any activity that loads abdominals, mentioned that it usually takes 6 weeks for things to get back to normal.
Have a PT friend who promised to get me started on rehab.

We'll see how it goes

WOW!

I'm glad you're alive, brother. Please keep in touch.

richardvg03

Mar 3, 2014, 7:59 PM
Post #8 of 12 (14403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slinklater wrote:
I primarily boulder and am concerned with lose of core muslces and/or re-injury from pulling too hard or falling. Has anyone had this type of surgery and what were your recovery experiences? time till climbing again? any tips?

Yes… I've had it twice. Sounds like you're having a hernia repair. Don't plan on doing anything for the next 3-6 months…especially anything concerning picking up more than 15 pounds, unless you want to have the surgery again (like i didUnsure)

amarius

Mar 4, 2014, 5:32 PM
Post #9 of 12 (14372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] abdominal surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Short update, haven't gotten on any walls yet
- built up to 6 mile run - 4.5 miles at 8mph, the rest warm up and cool down.
- can do to bicycle exercises, but lack relaxation and confidence.

I will try to put climbing harness on and see how hanging of rope feels.

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 5:35 PM
Post #10 of 12 (14371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amarius wrote:
Short update, haven't gotten on any walls yet
- built up to 6 mile run - 4.5 miles at 8mph, the rest warm up and cool down.
- can do to bicycle exercises, but lack relaxation and confidence.

I will try to put climbing harness on and see how hanging of rope feels.

Keep at it!!!

amarius

Mar 15, 2014, 1:52 PM
Post #11 of 12 (14193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Five weeks post-op on -
- build up to 8 miles at 8.5 mph
- can do full sit-ups, but ab wheel full rep is still ways off
- finally got on the wall at a local gym, top-roped to, probably, 5.9+. Felt good. Broken ribs are giving me more grief than suture.

scorpionkiss

Mar 15, 2014, 8:35 PM
Post #12 of 12 (14172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Appelkoos] abdominal surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I too had an emergency appendictomy last october. and I didnt climb for 3 weeks. I started at the boulder wall just to feel the stretch and remind my body of the movements, I didnt even get higher than 1 meter. I then only started to climb really easy 5.8's and 5.9's at week 4, and it took about a month after that to get back to where i was before the surgery. main concern was opening up the wound and prolonging the recovery.
Atleast now I dont have to worry about needing my appendix removed again!
And planning my first 10 pitch trip in the alps this summer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook