RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

markup

Feb 23, 2014, 4:08 PM
Post #1 of 14 (7711 views)
Shortcut

Heart Surgery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi I do or used to do lot of sport climbing up to 5.12 but had heart surgery last November, had a bi-cuspid valve that needed to be replaced with a mechanical valve. All the Doctors I've seen so far have told me that I wont be able to climb again, I started climbing on 4th of February again in indoor gyms and a week ago did a 5.12 on top rope but I sort of feel that I pushed it too far, I feel as strong as ever and the only thing stopping me is myself, my heart goes up to 160 on hard routes, Doc said no more than 110 but I feel fine, would like to know of anybody going through the same and their thoughts
Cheers

singletrackmike

Feb 23, 2014, 4:44 PM
Post #2 of 14 (7697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markup] Heart Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd get a second opinion if I were in that situation. Seems to me that some people get their heart rates up to 110 just by sneezing.
A friend of mine, who's 70 yrs old, had a mechanical valve put in about ten years ago, regularly visits his doctor to monitor the situation, and we've biked, hike and climbed and I know he's done so hard enough to be hitting 130-140 HR. His doctor knows of his activities and apparently approves.
I gotta say, I admire you for pushing yourself after going through this. I don't know if I'd be able to.
Just curious, if you don't mind, what is your age and what's your general fitness level?

markup

Feb 23, 2014, 6:06 PM
Post #3 of 14 (7686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [singletrackmike] Heart Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I just turned 37 and always been fit, non smoker, non drinker and always into sport, the problem with most of the doctors I've seen is that they want to limit you, have to find a doctor that's willing to work with me and see how far I can push it

singletrackmike

Feb 23, 2014, 6:13 PM
Post #4 of 14 (7679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend's doc is in the D.C. suburbs if that's a help.

potreroed

Feb 23, 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #5 of 14 (7655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You said it yourself--you're pushing too hard. Take it easy and you'll be climbing for many more years.

Partner robdotcalm

Feb 23, 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #6 of 14 (7653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had my bicuspid aortic valve replaced with a bovine prosthesis in 1997 at age 66. It's still working OK though bioprosthetic valves wear out in contrast to plastic valves. I have an echocardiogram every year. I'm still climbing but at a more moderate level due to the gradual decline in physical abilities as aging progresses.

Prior to the surgery, I was told by three different cardiologists at two different institutions that if I got a plastic valve they did not want me to climb. Reason: a plastic valve requires taking a blood thinner such as Coumadin and that banging my body against the rock could lead to dangerous blood flow. Given my lifestyle they all recommended a bioprosthesis. In your case, because of your young age I assume that the plastic valve was recommended since it won't wear out before you die of other causes. My guess, the doctors don't want you climbing because of the risk of bleeding. Have you checked with them on that?

Rob.calm

markup

Feb 23, 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #7 of 14 (7641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Heart Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep I have a mechanical valve and I'm on warfarin, hitting myself against the rock doesn't worry me that much, I don't want to hurt my heart or the valve. Most doctors are protective, anyway I'm going to get an echo this week and see a sports doctor, since I climbed hard last week the inside of my chest feels funny

Partner robdotcalm

Feb 24, 2014, 5:20 AM
Post #8 of 14 (7602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

markup wrote:
Yep I have a mechanical valve and I'm on warfarin, hitting myself against the rock doesn't worry me that much,

Maybe it should worry you. One of my docs was knowledgeable about climbing, and he was very precise about the dangers of bleeding. He minced no words in saying that if I wanted to continue climbing I needed a bioprosthesis. A climbing friend of mine recently developed atrial fibrillation and is on blood thinners. His cardiologist said he could follow but not lead. After the surgery, the docs placed no limits on my heart rate. I'm surprised at the 110 limit for some one as young as you.

Since I was twice as old as you are when I had my surgery, my recovery was slower, but for what it's worth here is what I encountered. I recovered aerobic capacity in a couple of months. I don't run, but I did a lot of hill walking. On the other hand, using a lot of strength, say in lifting something, did make my chest feel funny and gave me a modest fever. After a couple of months, I started very easy weight lifting, e.g., dead lifting 25 lb, and no chinups. I made the decision I wouldn't climb until I was strong enough to do 12 chinups and sturdy enough to roll 6 somersaults. This took a couple of months of 3 times a week workouts, but I didn't get anymore of the fever or funny chest feelings. You might want to consider easy weight lifting as a way to build up to climbing.

I forgot, but about 10 years ago, I met a climber in the gym who was on blood thinners. His cardiologist said he could gym climb but not climb outdoors.

rob.calm

markup

Feb 26, 2014, 1:48 PM
Post #9 of 14 (7455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [singletrackmike] Heart Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks dude, I'm currently living in South America so I have to find someone local

markup

Feb 26, 2014, 1:52 PM
Post #10 of 14 (7454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Heart Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ill try to get all the info I can, I'm getting a ecc today. 6 weeks after surgery I was able to do 4 sets of 10 chin ups and keep my heart rate low, I'm doing some weights but just light stuff and heaps of reps. Jogging about 3 km and was walking about 5-8 km 4 times a week 3 weeks after surgery, I do understand doctors, they try to keep you safe but there is no fun in that ;). But true I should grow up a bit and be more careful

sonso45

Feb 26, 2014, 5:52 PM
Post #11 of 14 (7412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a triple bypass 11 years ago and I have been climbing ever since. I am not on blood thinners though. Then again, I usually don't bleed as a result of a fall although it could happen but would most likely be catastrophic and I'd have other problems.

Keep climbing and take precautions like taping your hands etc.

jorgegonzalez

Mar 4, 2014, 3:47 AM
Post #12 of 14 (7288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Heart Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget, you have nothing to prove to anyone other than yourself. Learn to enjoy what you can still do and don't ruin it by overdoing it.

Geeez, dude, you're only 37. Many of us out here are 20 years beyond that and find true happiness everytime we get out, regardless of the numbers.

markup

Mar 7, 2014, 12:15 AM
Post #13 of 14 (7191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jorgegonzalez] Heart Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well had an echo and an electro, the dr says that my heart is in better condition than before and he couldn't find anything wrong with it, the look in his face was priceless, he was puzzled and trying to find something wrong so he checked me twice and gave me the all clear, next is an endurance and oxigen intake test to train accordingly, thanks for the reply's in the post

Partner robdotcalm

Mar 7, 2014, 4:51 AM
Post #14 of 14 (7164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

markup wrote:
Well had an echo and an electro, the dr says that my heart is in better condition than before and he couldn't find anything wrong with it, the look in his face was priceless, he was puzzled and trying to find something wrong so he checked me twice and gave me the all clear, next is an endurance and oxigen intake test to train accordingly, thanks for the reply's in the post

Glad to hear that it's going well.

Rob.calm

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook