Forums: Climbing Information: General:
one dumb self-rescue
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 


majid_sabet


Feb 26, 2014, 3:52 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2450 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8368

one dumb self-rescue
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

who are these climbers ?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbKi9Zynx8


(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Feb 27, 2014, 9:50 AM)


lena_chita
Moderator

Feb 26, 2014, 4:47 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2400 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5851

Re: [majid_sabet] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbKi9Zynx8

"So, this is how you kill someone. hahahaha"


potreroed


Feb 26, 2014, 7:27 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2332 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2001
Posts: 1454

Re: [majid_sabet] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

And the Darwin award goes to...

Bad grammar as well in the video...

Dumbshits all around.


jomagam


Feb 26, 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2283 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [lena_chita] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbKi9Zynx8

"So, this is how you kill someone. hahahaha"

In her defense, she saying "So that's how it feels to kill someone", then the relieved laugh when she realized that guy was fine.


(This post was edited by jomagam on Feb 26, 2014, 10:58 PM)


markc


Feb 27, 2014, 8:48 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2003
Posts: 2479

Re: [jomagam] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbKi9Zynx8

"So, this is how you kill someone. hahahaha"

In her defense, she saying "So that's how it feels to kill someone", then the relieved laugh when she realized that guy was fine.

Agreed. I think the exact quote is, "Oh, that's how it feels to kill someone." I think she realized what she saw was the best possible outcome. That's a blend of shock and relief.

It's amazing to have that much equipment and to put it to such poor use, and to recruit perfect strangers to hand-over-hand your friend up the cliff face without being secured at all.


meanandugly


Feb 27, 2014, 8:59 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Posts: 312

Re: [majid_sabet] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It seems that not one person knew how to deal with what should have been a simple rescue. Sad.


Partner cracklover


Feb 27, 2014, 9:14 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10061

Re: [markc] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Watch this clip fast - I'm guessing it will be taken down soon.

markc wrote:
It's amazing to have that much equipment and to put it to such poor use

That pretty much sums up the whole event.

There are a million other issues, but the largest ones I noted were:

- Placement of the anchor totally wrong for the climb (which helped create the rope snag)
- Most ridiculous use of an ascender I've ever seen.
- Failure to do something as simple as *clip* the climber into the rescue rope.
- Failure by the belayer to take up the slack once the climber unsnagged his rope.

Never mind all the millions of reasonable things they *could* have done once the rope was caught. It's just how incredibly bad the choices they made were.

GO


majid_sabet


Feb 27, 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8368

Re: [majid_sabet] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The joker FD belayer 1:15 and his crew planned and performed one of the most stupidest haul system you could put on any wall and by passing a jumar to a n00b to do self-rescue is classic ingredients for an afternoon disaster and if you look closely at 2:25, the slack of belayer's rope is around top roper shoulder where it should around his neck (for an easy death) and when he falls, several feet of slack adds to his drop ,causes him to rotate and bang his side to the wall while spectators ( girls sitting on the side ) are having fun .


Gmburns2000


Feb 28, 2014, 7:07 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1965 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15177

Re: [majid_sabet] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

let's not forget that the person pulling was one awkward move from losing balance and rocketing forward.


iknowfear


Feb 28, 2014, 8:23 AM
Post #10 of 14 (1942 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 640

Re: [cracklover] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Watch this clip fast - I'm guessing it will be taken down soon.

markc wrote:
It's amazing to have that much equipment and to put it to such poor use

That pretty much sums up the whole event.

There are a million other issues, but the largest ones I noted were:

- Placement of the anchor totally wrong for the climb (which helped create the rope snag)
- Most ridiculous use of an ascender I've ever seen.
- Failure to do something as simple as *clip* the climber into the rescue rope.
- Failure by the belayer to take up the slack once the climber unsnagged his rope.

Never mind all the millions of reasonable things they *could* have done once the rope was caught. It's just how incredibly bad the choices they made were.

GO
In reply to:
You need a substantial base of competence to learn the proper lessons of failure. -- k.l.k.


your signature is very appropriate again!


(This post was edited by iknowfear on Feb 28, 2014, 8:24 AM)


Partner cracklover


Feb 28, 2014, 11:10 AM
Post #11 of 14 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10061

Re: [iknowfear] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
your signature is very appropriate again!

LOL - that's why I haven't changed it in years! K. L. K. really hit the nail on the head with that one!

GO


markc


Feb 28, 2014, 11:42 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2003
Posts: 2479

Re: [Gmburns2000] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
let's not forget that the person pulling was one awkward move from losing balance and rocketing forward.

Yeah, it was incredibly shortsighted to tell those guys to hand-over-hand the guy without at least the first person being tied in to something. That's not saying much, as all elements of the rescue were equally stupid. I shudder to think what would have happened if that group didn't come along.

Based on the end of the video, it looks like they may have had three or more people on the rope. While the gumbie was holding onto the ascender, the person shooting video clearly moves to the cliff edge to get the shot while the others are holding the line.


socalclimber


Mar 1, 2014, 5:37 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1735 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 27, 2001
Posts: 2436

Re: [markc] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are so many things wrong in that video it's not even worth listing them.


iknowfear


Mar 2, 2014, 5:00 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 640

Re: [socalclimber] one dumb self-rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
There are so many things wrong in that video it's not even worth listing them.

I think its probably quicker to list the things done right:

1: Nobody got killed.
2: ??


Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook