Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

richardvg03

Mar 3, 2014, 8:18 PM
Post #26 of 87 (9286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
What in your signature us supposed to tell me whether the dog is your service dog or if you're training it? I don't get it. I've met retired marines that fit into both.

You're correct. That was very ignorant of me. I usually assume everybody was, or is, in the military.

To retire from the military you have to do one of two things. 1. Serve 20+ years or 2. get injured so badly that you are medically retired from service. A Sgt. in the Marine Corps is a rather low rank for somebody who would have served for 20+ years so it's safe to assume a Sgt. was medically retired.

csproul

Mar 3, 2014, 8:22 PM
Post #27 of 87 (9281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
csproul wrote:
What in your signature us supposed to tell me whether the dog is your service dog or if you're training it? I don't get it. I've met retired marines that fit into both.

You're correct. That was very ignorant of me. I usually assume everybody was, or is, in the military.

To retire from the military you have to do one of two things. 1. Serve 20+ years or 2. get injured so badly that you are medically retired from service. A Sgt. in the Marine Corps is a rather low rank for somebody who would have served for 20+ years so it's safe to assume a Sgt. was medically retired.
Ahh...got it. Thanks.

Partner cracklover

Mar 3, 2014, 9:42 PM
Post #28 of 87 (9267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:

Cracklover's dog:

My dog:

Don't take any of this personally cracklover… I'm just busting your "animals are people too" chops! :) It's all in good spirits from me. I do agree with you on the fact that some dogs go ape shit when their owner disappears.

Hmm, well if you think the dog-equivalent-to-baby analogy was dumb (and I didn't make that analogy, someone else did) then I think the analogy you're making with my dog is way worse.

If you think that giving a shit about whether a dog gets anxious when left tied to a tree all day in a stressful situation (the point I was making) is equivalent to being a nutter who cares so much for his dog's feelings that he wants to feed him at the dinner table, then maybe you care too little.

GO

chadnsc

Mar 3, 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #29 of 87 (9251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
csproul wrote:

If you don't mind answering; what assistance do you use your service dog for?

My brother in law is in Marines for the past 13 years and also serves as a scout sniper.

granite_grrl

Mar 4, 2014, 1:07 AM
Post #30 of 87 (9232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:
csproul wrote:

If you don't mind answering; what assistance do you use your service dog for?

My brother in law is in Marines for the past 13 years and also serves as a scout sniper.

Since he's doing multipitch climbing I assume something like PTSD?

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 1:25 AM
Post #31 of 87 (9227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

Because a person with a physical disability can't go climbing?

chadnsc

Mar 4, 2014, 1:51 AM
Post #32 of 87 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's why I'm asking why you need the service dog; could be a lot of things.

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 4, 2014, 2:13 AM
Post #33 of 87 (9219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yes, it could be. But the main thing it is, is personal.

I'm sure people don't think they are being rude with the inquiry, maybe are interested in knowing about the many awesome ways dogs can help people, but it is impolite to put a person on the spot n this situation.

granite_grrl

Mar 4, 2014, 2:31 AM
Post #34 of 87 (9212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Because a person with a physical disability can't go climbing?

[image]http://media.2oceansvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Untitled-1.jpg[/image]

Actually, I was thinking that not everyone with a disability needs a service dog.

You seem to have an aggressive nature on this forum. Since you had ignored the question multiple times I was assuming it was more complicated than you lost your legs.

granite_grrl

Mar 4, 2014, 2:40 AM
Post #35 of 87 (9208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My personal opinion on leaving your dog at the base while you go up the cliff for the day: the dog will probably be okay, but it's pretty selfish for you to do that. It's pretty close to tossing your dog outside at night assuming it'll take care of itself. It probably will, until it gets hit by a car.

The dog was trained to serve you. You are it's world, no matter how professional the situation. The dog is there to take care of you, you should return the favor and take care of your dog properly.

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Mar 4, 2014, 2:46 AM)

olderic

Mar 4, 2014, 2:44 AM
Post #36 of 87 (9207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
If you think that giving a shit about whether a dog gets anxious when left tied to a tree all day in a stressful situation (the point I was making) is equivalent to being a nutter who cares so much for his dog's feelings that he wants to feed him at the dinner table, then maybe you care too little.

GO

It least the nutter feeding his dog at the table isn't hurting anyone.

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 5:27 AM
Post #37 of 87 (9194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

I'm sure people don't think they are being rude with the inquiry, maybe are interested in knowing about the many awesome ways dogs can help people, but it is impolite to put a person on the spot n this situation.

Thank you!

Asking somebody why they need/have a service animal is like asking to see somebody's medical record.

(This post was edited by richardvg03 on Mar 4, 2014, 6:56 AM)

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 5:35 AM
Post #38 of 87 (9191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

Actually, I was thinking that not everyone with a disability needs a service dog.

You seem to have an aggressive nature on this forum. Since you had ignored the question multiple times I was assuming it was more complicated than you lost your legs.

Busted left knee
Torn abdominal walls
Two slipped disks
One cracked vertebae
Scoliosis
Jammed neck
dislocated left shoulder
Traumatic Brain Injury
and you guessed it… Post Traumatic Stress… I'd let you look through my medical records and review my many surgeries but I don't feel like turning my 18inch thick record into a PDF… and I don't care to fax it over either :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xliij5Km95U

My dog does a lot for me. He has around 65 different commands.

My actions/tone/(typing) aren't aggressive… they're blunt. :)

theguy

Mar 4, 2014, 6:22 AM
Post #39 of 87 (9179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
My dog:

[image]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/richardvg03/1460075_10202691730244226_325474153_n.jpg[/image]

Since you're looking for affirmation, yup, definitely bring a dog that's trained to attack people to the crag: it's a great idea.

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 6:26 AM
Post #40 of 87 (9178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:

Since you're looking for affirmation, yup, definitely bring a dog that's trained to attack people to the crag: it's a great idea.

That's almost as ignorant as saying, "Oh no! You're trained to kill people! Help!! Help!! This guy is trained to kill people!!! Don't let him near the children!!!"

You obviously don't understand working dogs…but that's OK! :) You're going to be fine… just don't make eye contact with the dog! :)

Keep 'em coming guys!

(This post was edited by richardvg03 on Mar 4, 2014, 6:31 AM)

Shroom

Mar 4, 2014, 6:45 AM
Post #41 of 87 (9169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Busted left knee
Torn abdominal walls
Two slipped disks
One cracked vertebae
Scoliosis
Jammed neck
dislocated left shoulder
Traumatic Brain Injury
and you guessed it… Post Traumatic Stress… I'd let you look through my medical records and review my many surgeries but I don't feel like turning my 18inch thick record into a PDF… and I don't care to fax it over either :)

Actually, your posts are self aggrandizing and obnoxious.

In one post you bemoan people asking about med records, and in the very next post you lay down a poor, poor me laundry list of ailments. What reaction are you looking for, pity? You got it from me, but not for the reason you may think.

You are clearly going to bring your dog to make a point now, and damn everyone who disagrees. Good for you, I guess your traumatic brain injury doesn't effect your common sense or courtesy. Or does it?

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 6:54 AM
Post #42 of 87 (9155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shroom] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:
You are clearly going to bring your dog to make a point now, and damn everyone who disagrees. Good for you, I guess your traumatic brain injury doesn't effect your common sense or courtesy. Or does it?

Nah, I'm getting a friend to watch my dog for me. No reason to leave 15k tied to a tree and hope it's still there when you get back.

…and since you asked… here's an article you might enjoy http://www.psychologytoday.com/...nality-change-part-i

theguy

Mar 4, 2014, 6:58 AM
Post #43 of 87 (9151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
"This guy is trained to kill people!!! Don't let him near the children!!!"

You obviously don't understand working dogs…but that's OK! :) You're going to be fine… just don't make eye contact with the dog! :)

Guess the RAF was worried about eye contact too.

Be a real shame if the person defends himself and you're out $15k.

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 7:03 AM
Post #44 of 87 (9150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shroom] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:

In one post you bemoan people asking about med records, and in the very next post you lay down a poor, poor me laundry list of ailments. What reaction are you looking for, pity? You got it from me, but not for the reason you may think.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was merely explaining that asking what a service dog does is like asking to see a persons medical records. Now… I don't mind if you ask me to see my medical records. However, the next guy might. As a disabilities liaison i find it necessary and appropriate to educate people on this. I definitely don't seek anybody's pity for my injuries. I didn't know making a simple list of injuries that answer a question could imply the want or desire of pity. I wasn't really looking for a reaction at all as I was simply answering the question. If I was looking for pity I'd probably say something about my childhood seeing that's what the movies use… or maybe something about my cat running away. It's some sad stuff when cats run away!! :)

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 7:07 AM
Post #45 of 87 (9148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:

Be a real shame if the person defends himself and you're out $15k.

Damn! With his bare hands! That's hardcore!

meanandugly

Mar 4, 2014, 11:08 AM
Post #46 of 87 (9119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're fitting in just fine.

granite_grrl

Mar 4, 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #47 of 87 (9106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Busted left knee
Torn abdominal walls
Two slipped disks
One cracked vertebae
Scoliosis
Jammed neck
dislocated left shoulder
Traumatic Brain Injury

Not aggressive huh? And what about the photo? I don't see legs missing below the knees on your list (which is a pretty huge).

chadnsc

Mar 4, 2014, 1:41 PM
Post #48 of 87 (9099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

Thank you!

Asking somebody why they need/have a service animal is like asking to see somebody's medical record.

Yes and when you bring your service dog anywhere you need to have a license explaining why you need said service dog available for inspection.

I'm sorry if you where offended by my asking about your medical need for a service dog.

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 4, 2014, 2:02 PM
Post #49 of 87 (9094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not true

In reply to:
Service Dogs must be allowed to go anywhere their handler goes, including
restaurants, schools, buses, taxis, airplanes, stores, movie theatres, concerts,
sporting events, doctor's offices, and any other public place. It is REQUIRED under
federal and state laws that they be allowed. They do not have to wear any specific
identifying gear, including vests. Many Service Dog users choose to dress their
dogs in a vest or other identifying apparel in order to make access easier, as it
avoids many questions and confrontations. This is a personal choice, and is NOT
REQUIRED UNDER THE LAW. It is illegal to ask for any special identification
from Service Dog partners. Some carry ID cards, and may present them voluntarily,
but this also is not required, and should not be expected. You may NOT ask for
"proof" or certification of the dog's training as a condition of entry into your
business.
http://www.servicedogssavelives.org/laws.html

The old boys(and girl) club of rc.com is doing what it does best - Circling the wagons an One-Starring!

Edit; I think theft is pretty unlikely. Could it happen? Yes, I suppose. Does the risk of that possibility outweigh the benefits of having your dog available to do his service? That is something only you can decide.

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Mar 4, 2014, 2:12 PM)

chadnsc

Mar 4, 2014, 2:36 PM
Post #50 of 87 (9085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are correct Happy.

Although there is an odd bit of legislation interpretation that my climbing buddy has run into with his service dog.

You can't ask for an ID card for the service animal BUT you're allowed to require the owner of the service animal to show proof that said animal is a trained service animal. Odd I know but many states use this interpretation of service animal legislation including where I live in Minnesota.

http://mn.gov/...service_animals.html

http://www.helpingpaws.org/...ervice-dog-laws.html

Please keep in mind that I'm not agreeing with this interpretation of the legislation ,in fact I think it's a gross manipulation of the current laws. Nor am I saying that OP use of a service dog isn't legitimate.

Edit to add link.

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Mar 4, 2014, 2:48 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook