Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

granite_grrl

Mar 4, 2014, 5:30 PM
Post #76 of 87 (3434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
csproul wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
...But if you DO have a dog, and if the dog IS used to spending 8-9 hours alone every day, while the owner works, how is this any different than leaving her alone at the base of the cliff for couple hours?
My dog is fine with being left at home while we're working. It's his home. He is definitely NOT ok with being left on the ground by himself while I go climbing. He gets pretty upset, crying, whining, pacing...there is a difference for some dogs.

there should be a big difference between a trained service dog and most other dogs. A service dog has to be of an appropriate temperment, which would be calm and collected.

I still think it's unfair to leave the dog at the base of a route unattended of 8 hours though, regardless of it's temperment.

I don't think it is "fair" exactly. But this is a service dog. Service dogs have to do all sorts of things that are not "fair" as part of their job. Is it 'fair' that the dog can't go play with those kids that are throwing frisbee on the lawn, and has to sit next to her blind owner for several hours, while he was overcome by fatigue and fell asleep in his wheelchair? Is it "fair" that a dog is sent to sniff for explosives, or sent into the collapsed building, with a potential of the dog being killed, to look for survivors of an earthquake?

If there are options available that don't involve the dog being left alone for a day (I still don't think it is 8 hours for couple pitches, but O.K.), those options would be preferable.

It would be great, for example, if the OP had a friend who was not a climber, but came along to hang out with his bro, and took the dog for a long hike while Rich climbed.

It would be great if Rich's girlfriend thought that the definition of heaven is sitting in the shade reading a book for the afternoon, and stayed there right next to the dog.

It would be great if his friends were doing some single-pitch cragging while he did multi-pitch day, and took the dog for a day.

But if it is a service dog, and if the OP can't leave it for the entire weekend, because he needs his dog to, I don't know, fall asleep without drugs? And if there isn't anyone else to sit there with the dog, or take the dog while he climbs? Then I guess the dog will have to do the unfair thing. And in the grand scheme of things, it is not THAT unfair for the dog that is temperamentally suited for it.

Good post, with a pile of VERY good suggestions. I would agree with the idea to try to find other options with the dog and on the rare occasion leave the dog at the base while you go off to climb a few pitches.

I think what myself, and like a number of other posters are picturing is that this would be a regular thing.

Oh, and the 8 hour thing is just from your post about leaving the dog alone while you're at work. Though the OP does was saying 5-7 pitch route in the first post, not a 2-3 pitch route, which could easily take 8 hours depending on the party.

chadnsc

Mar 4, 2014, 5:45 PM
Post #77 of 87 (3421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

That's how the ADA is enforced through after the incident litigation, aka you sue the person who's not in compliance.

It's much easier, albeit frustrating, to simply have your papers showing your dogs training and your medical need for a service animal on you to stop the issue in it's tracks.

I'm part of a coalition that is working on some legislation to try and remedy this. Everything you say is completely accurate. Pretty much the only thing you can do is sue or just leave. That's why I make sure my dog is in his harness most the time so I don't run into this issue.

That's awesome. Please if you need any help with this I'd like to get involved.

chadnsc

Mar 4, 2014, 5:49 PM
Post #78 of 87 (3413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
You mean you don't remember falling for it so badly? Tongue

Sorry, I had to!

HAHAHAHA!!! I even put a picture of a troll sitting at a laptop!! This was wayyy to easy BUT rc.com never fails me! :)

Yeah but this troll has actually created some good discussion about service animals and not letting a disability dictate what you can do.

Also you owned GG and that was funny.

granite_grrl

Mar 4, 2014, 5:52 PM
Post #79 of 87 (3411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Sorry, I had to!

HAHAHAHA!!! I even put a picture of a troll sitting at a laptop!! This was wayyy to easy BUT rc.com never fails me! :)

Yeah but this troll has actually created some good discussion about service animals and not letting a disability dictate what you can do.

I can see you're getting sized up for the troll suit yourself!

richardvg03

Mar 4, 2014, 5:59 PM
Post #80 of 87 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

…and we ALL see that you're falling for it… AGAIN. Unimpressed

Partner cracklover

Mar 4, 2014, 6:03 PM
Post #81 of 87 (3404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Sorry, I had to!

Perhaps, but there are lots of ways to troll. Posing as having a serious question and then poking the people who respond is all well and good (albeit not very friendly). But flinging insults and calling most of them names while you're at it? Have you read any of the stuff Jeff (the new owner) has posted? Based on my reading of it, you're not likely to be able to have fun here for very long if you keep up that tack. And that would be a shame.

Cheers,

GO

chadnsc

Mar 4, 2014, 6:04 PM
Post #82 of 87 (3401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

It's RC.com, this entire site is a troll. You can't take much here seriously what with the post count increase threads and lack of any real content.

chadnsc

Mar 4, 2014, 6:06 PM
Post #83 of 87 (3398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Sorry, I had to!

Perhaps, but there are lots of ways to troll. Posing as having a serious question and then poking the people who respond is all well and good (albeit not very friendly). But flinging insults and calling most of them names while you're at it? Have you read any of the stuff Jeff (the new owner) has posted? Based on my reading of it, you're not likely to be able to have fun here for very long if you keep up that tack. And that would be a shame.

Cheers,

GO

I assume you're speaking to Rich and not to me.

I agree that Rich did get yippy with his name calling; that's why I attempted to politely call him out on it.

dr_feelgood

Mar 5, 2014, 6:55 PM
Post #84 of 87 (3315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Sorry, I had to!

Cheers,

GO

Agree to disagree.

richardvg03

Mar 5, 2014, 11:33 PM
Post #85 of 87 (3289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:

Agree to disagree.

^^I'm with this guy! It's fairly obvious that richardvg03's presence here lowers the extremely high standards that the members of RC.com have!

This is for you Dr. Feelgood!

carabiner96

Mar 6, 2014, 12:56 AM
Post #86 of 87 (3282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:

I think you missed the part where I have a fifteen thousand dollar dog that is highly trained. He does not get sad and lonely. I can put him in the down position for hours and hours and he will not move. He's not a pet... he is a working dog.

To the rest of you who are not completely apeshit stupid and understand what a dog is... Thank you for your responses. I think my dog will be just fine but I wanted to run it across the community first.

It sounds like you made up your mind before you even posted.

carabiner96

Mar 6, 2014, 1:02 AM
Post #87 of 87 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing and my dog? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Not aggressive huh? And what about the photo? I don't see legs missing below the knees on your list (which is a pretty huge).

I didn't say that was a picture of me dumbass. I asked a question... and then posted a picture. Don't cry because you ASSumed something. :)

Yeah, that seems about right.

Does everyone has such short memories? Nobody remembers richardvg03 persona from his last stint on RC.com? Tongue

Damn, I fell for it right away.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook