RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

unbrbldeath

Mar 19, 2014, 3:27 AM
Post #1 of 5 (7797 views)
Shortcut

Climbing grades
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've noticed that as the newer guidebooks come out that the grading in them can change, some times drastically. What is the etiquette and process that one should go though in order to find out what a problem should be graded?

I do understand when hold break that the climb may get harder or easier but how are you supposed to know about that if you have guidebooks with no mention of it?

dagibbs

Mar 19, 2014, 4:59 PM
Post #2 of 5 (7634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unbrbldeath] Climbing grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The first thing to remember is that grades are not an objective, measurable, thing. They are a subjective evaluation of how hard or easy it is to climb a particular route or problem. This can, of course, be affected by differences in physical, mental, and technical factors. (Reachy vs not; small crimps vs large holds, power vs finesse and balance moves, overhanging vs not, high-ball or not, etc.) If a climb or problem was initially climbed and graded by someone where it matched their strengths, it might be initially graded fairly easy, but then as others climb it, the consensus opinion of the difficulty could get harder. And, of course, vice versa.

And, the climb can change nature - holds break, smears become polished, etc -- which can change the nature.

Further, mistakes can be made. Wrong line identified with grade, editing error, transcription error, or other confusions. Either old errors can be correct, or of course, new errors can be introduced.

Most small changes (up or down 1/2 to 1 grade) are a result of a change in consensus on the grade.

Most large changes, are the result of something else.

lena_chita

Mar 20, 2014, 11:08 AM
Post #3 of 5 (7514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

unbrbldeath wrote:
So I've noticed that as the newer guidebooks come out that the grading in them can change, some times drastically. What is the etiquette and process that one should go though in order to find out what a problem should be graded?

I do understand when hold break that the climb may get harder or easier but how are you supposed to know about that if you have guidebooks with no mention of it?

You know about it by climbing it. Or trying to. Grades are just a suggestion.
V4s as a group are harder than V3s as a group. But any individual V4 might feel easier than an individual V3 to someone. That's why you will hear endless conversations about it, anytime the climbers gather.

Even if the grade is "accurate", e.i. the climbing community as a whole agrees that this climb feels like V4, you personally might often disagree. In general, the farther away you are from an average climber body type/height, the more likely you are to feel that the climbing grades are inconsistent and all over the place.

skelldify

Mar 20, 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #4 of 5 (7497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The longer I climb, and the more places I climb at, the less grades mean to me. It's taken me years to realize that grades are just a suggestion, especially since I'm an outlier in height, and an extreme outlier in weight. It seems the grade given to any one route could vary by almost +/- 1 number grade compared to routes of the same grade at another area.

unbrbldeath

Jun 23, 2014, 6:41 AM
Post #5 of 5 (6423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skelldify] Climbing grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your help guys you've answered my questions quite well.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook