Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jbitz

Apr 28, 2008, 4:14 PM
Post #26 of 39 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freerangequark] Gear Identification Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am not that crazy about using tape products for marking gear. I've never seen anyone have much luck having it hold up very long.

$15 dollars plus shipping for "The Marker"? I think I would pass on that. But, I'm sure it works well being that it contains epoxy.

My best results were with a Metal Marker obtained from an Auto Store.

Some other good options I've used that have held up well are Nail Polish and a Master's Model Paint Marker.

(This post was edited by Jbitz on Apr 29, 2008, 2:01 PM)

WVUCLMBR

Apr 28, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #27 of 39 (3638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jbitz] Gear Identification Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys aren't thinking out of the box today. Any type of marking can wear off/be removed. Not to mention that they don't work for blind climbers. Personally, I cover all my gear in deer urine. It makes it really easy to identify my gear....it's the stuff that smells like pee.

pilot4life

Apr 28, 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #28 of 39 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just use a Brother label maker and print out my last name. Everyone knows which gear is mine that way. The tape sticks to the metal like glue and doesn't come off except for abrasions. Even then, the rest of the tape remains attached.

edm

Apr 28, 2008, 5:18 PM
Post #29 of 39 (3619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone used enamel model paint? I've about had it with tape too, and I was thinking of trying it.

GunksMonkey

Apr 28, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #30 of 39 (3583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Gear Identification Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
You guys aren't thinking out of the box today. Any type of marking can wear off/be removed. Not to mention that they don't work for blind climbers. Personally, I cover all my gear in deer urine. It makes it really easy to identify my gear....it's the stuff that smells like pee.

why not use deer scat? That way you can use color and smell for your gear

CaptainPolution

Apr 29, 2008, 1:13 AM
Post #31 of 39 (3570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rwalt85] Gear Identification Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rwalt85 wrote:
My friend got me some of that "The Mark" stuff from Boulder Based Designs. I reccomend it.
It seems a bit weird to put expoxy on it, but I've put some moderate abuse on the gear since it was applied and it isn't even scratched.

http://www.boulderbaseddesigns.com/products_mark.asp

I will second that. Stuff works good

ahwoo

Apr 29, 2008, 1:50 AM
Post #32 of 39 (3556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had some of the metolius tags. those are good about not leaving residue, but they get torn up very easiliy. have some of the trango tags, but haven't used them yet. i have a buddy who got some of that heat shrink tubing and they've held up pretty well. and i've seen hot pink spray paint work real well too, hehe.

bigfatrock

Apr 29, 2008, 2:29 AM
Post #33 of 39 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.identi-tape.com/

stymingersfink

Apr 29, 2008, 5:34 AM
Post #34 of 39 (3510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GunksMonkey] Gear Identification Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GunksMonkey wrote:
WVUCLMBR wrote:

why not use deer scat? That way you can use color and smell for your gear
I will second that. Stuff works good

moof

Apr 29, 2008, 5:58 AM
Post #35 of 39 (3509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Gear Identification Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a small can of ugly dark green paint for metal I got at Canadian Tire years back. 50 cent sponge brushes work well for applying it. I goober my gear. The uglier it is, the less likely it is to attract the wron kind of attention. It's held up pretty well. The gear I pre-cleaned with some alcohol has never needed to be re-marked.

stymingersfink

Apr 29, 2008, 6:38 AM
Post #36 of 39 (3504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] Gear Identification Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, having just come back from the Creek last week, where co-mingling racks is a certainty, i finally got around to putting on a layer of spray-paint. I tried to keep it to the triggers and cables for the most part with the smaller gear, though the C4's sizes 3 and up got a nice little spot near the axle housing that should stick around for a few years or more.

in the past, I'd relied on tape, but having seen how quickly it wears off I'd lost confidence in that system.

Now that my partner's off in AK climbing some stuff in the Gorge, I'm having to slut myself out, which means I can't just rely on a trusted friend. It's so much easier when you don't even have to worry about getting the gear sorted out right-proper like.

The spray-paint should make it much easier to climb with fellow un-partnered climbing-sluts without having to worry about catching something.

redzit

Apr 29, 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #37 of 39 (3464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using Vector. It is a PVC tape, much like electrical tape but with a different adhesive that does not leave tacky residue, and will actually harden, so I'm told.

tapes usualy need to be replaced about once every 2 years, which is good for me.

On a side note, its been a while, and I'm just getting back into climbing after a 2 year gap, but I'm kind of surprised at some of the answers I'm seeing here. using a punch to mark your biners? sorry friend, but you will put a stress riser in to gear, thats why all the load specs are with RAISED lettering. And spray paint? or epoxy? you do know that these products will release chemicals for days, if not weeks? if you do use these methods, keep it way from slings and draws.. other wise its like keeping a rope on a concrete floor

Climb safe everyone

stymingersfink

Apr 29, 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #38 of 39 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redzit] Gear Identification Tape [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redzit wrote:
. using a punch to mark your biners? sorry friend, but you will put a stress riser in to gear, thats why all the load specs are with RAISED lettering.
I guess I should throw away all those "Seconds" quality 'biners I bought from BD then... they're all punched with a small number "2". Not to mention their date coding on the spine.

Should we contact BD about this potentially deadly activity they are perpetuating?Shocked

CelticGuy

Mar 26, 2014, 8:23 PM
Post #39 of 39 (2767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use electrical Heat-Shrink tubing and write on it with a Sharpie. Holds up OK. No goo from the tape. Can get lots of different sizes. On the ends of my ropes/cordalette I mark the ropes rating and shrink the stuff on. The heat may slightly damage the end but who cares. You don't climb on that 1" of rope!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook