Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Synthetic shoes that don't smell like death itself...also velcro vs laceups on crack climbs
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

Apr 1, 2014, 6:45 AM
Post #1 of 3 (640 views)
Shortcut

Synthetic shoes that don't smell like death itself...also velcro vs laceups on crack climbs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for new climbing shoes, but all of the ones that have the features I want in my price range appear to be synthetics. My previous experiences with synthetics were my friend's evolv Defies which stank like hell. I'm wondering whether I'll run into the same problem with other synthetics like the evolv Talon G2 or Pontas 2 (which feature synthetic Synthratek uppers and microfiber linings), the Tanaya Inti or Tatanka (which feature microfiber uppers with TXT treated cotton lining), or the Mugen Tech 2.0 (which uses Tex Flex synthetic uppers and hemp lining).

Also, since I am in the NE US, I won't be doing devoted crack climbing with long splitters, but there are a fair share of multipitch crack climbs with some face climbing mixed in. I have read bad things about velcro in cracks and was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with the above shoes in such situations. Thanks.

lena_chita

Apr 1, 2014, 7:17 AM
Post #2 of 3 (627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Synthetic shoes that don't smell like death itself...also velcro vs laceups on crack climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

All shoes stink, synthetic more than leather. But Evolvs seem to have an extra-stinkiness to them. I have never had shoes smell as bad as Evolv Elektras (the female version of Defy)

But I do think that different type of synthetic uppers would not be as bad as Defy. But if you really want to keep the shoes from stinking, get these inserts to keep your shoes dry:

http://www.etsy.com/...Pointe?ref=shop_sugg

Fred20

Apr 1, 2014, 1:35 PM
Post #3 of 3 (563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Synthetic shoes that don't smell like death itself...also velcro vs laceups on crack climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thx for that link, never heard of those inserts before.

Leather definitely stinks less, but even then they will end up stinking and my Defy's were horrid compared to my Mythos, just the way it is. My mythos are gettin a bit stinky now, but no where near what they defy's smelled like.

I want to get something a little more aggressive, but it seems all the aggressive stuff uses synthetic :/

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook