Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Boot bananas are legit as f***, seriously.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

sungam

Apr 2, 2014, 2:08 PM
Post #1 of 11 (7766 views)
Shortcut

Boot bananas are legit as f***, seriously.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, yeah. Troll threads and dumb over used jokes aside, Boot bananas are awesome as fuck and deserve a shout out.

They be looking like bananas, right, but they all filled up with nice smelling stuff and moisture absorbing and scent killing stuff.

My shoes used to cause issues in the kinda small flat I share with my gf, cuz they would get all stankin'.

But seriously, boot bananas legitimately made my shoes go from smelling like absolute shit to almost scentless, with just a light hint of lavander being the only smell. And I sweat a LOT.

Change your life, maaannnn.

http://www.bootbananas.com/

(This post was edited by sungam on Apr 2, 2014, 2:08 PM)

rsd212

Apr 2, 2014, 3:22 PM
Post #2 of 11 (7725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Boot bananas are legit as f***, seriously. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do they pass the industry standard "Evolv Defys shoved in the bottom of a duffel bag after a double session of ARCing" test?

marc801

Apr 2, 2014, 4:18 PM
Post #3 of 11 (7679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Boot bananas are legit as f***, seriously. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I honestly don't understand the smelly shoes issue so many folks seem to have (see the other current thread about shoe advice and synthetic uppers). I've been climbing for over 40 years and never had the smell problem, and that's having gone through dozens of pairs of shoes.

I don't do anything special nor have I ever washed any shoes. I just regularly (but not every climbing day) use an anti-bacterial foot powder (Desenex) or spray and never put them in a pack until they dry and air out. In a place where I may be doing multiple short routes, the shoes get clipped to the outside of the pack during the inter-climb commutes.

Fred20

Apr 2, 2014, 5:08 PM
Post #4 of 11 (7656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Boot bananas are legit as f***, seriously. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm venturing a guess the majority of climbers don't use anti-bacterial foot powder/sprays and this is why their shoes smell like death. But my experience is that my defy's smell horrendous even when I did use a spray (some kind of dr. scholls spray)

My mythos are just BARELY starting to smell, and I've been wearing them for 3-4hr sessions 3x a week since August, and have had them for 2 yrs now.

I leave them on the whole time since they are comfy as hell and I don't leave them in a car or pack so they air out pretty fast.

YMMV

marc801

Apr 2, 2014, 5:20 PM
Post #5 of 11 (7644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fred20] Boot bananas are legit as f***, seriously. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fred20 wrote:
I'm venturing a guess the majority of climbers don't use anti-bacterial foot powder/sprays and this is why their shoes smell like death. But my experience is that my defy's smell horrendous even when I did use a spray (some kind of dr. scholls spray)
A reminder that not all foot sprays/powders are anti-bacterial. Some are just basically talcum powder and/or corn starch that don't kill off the smell producing beasties at all.

lena_chita

Apr 2, 2014, 5:25 PM
Post #6 of 11 (7644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
I honestly don't understand the smelly shoes issue so many folks seem to have (see the other current thread about shoe advice and synthetic uppers). I've been climbing for over 40 years and never had the smell problem, and that's having gone through dozens of pairs of shoes.

I don't do anything special nor have I ever washed any shoes. I just regularly (but not every climbing day) use an anti-bacterial foot powder (Desenex) or spray and never put them in a pack until they dry and air out. In a place where I may be doing multiple short routes, the shoes get clipped to the outside of the pack during the inter-climb commutes.

You use sprays or powders, that definitely qualifies as "doing something special". You also live in Utah, where humidity is measured in single digits.

My shoes never go inside my pack, but when I put them on on Sunday, they are still damp from Saturday. Heck, sometimes they are still damp on Tuesday, 48 hrs out since Sunday. (and no, I do not have a problem with excess sweating. in fact, I have so little problem with excess sweating that I don't even use chalk while climbing)

marc801

Apr 2, 2014, 5:36 PM
Post #7 of 11 (7637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Boot bananas are legit as f***, seriously. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
You use sprays or powders, that definitely qualifies as "doing something special". You also live in Utah, where humidity is measured in single digits.
I don't consider that special at all - it's just normal footwear care.
I lived in NJ and CT and regularly climbed in the Gunks for 30+ years. I'm *very* familiar with humidity.

lena_chita

Apr 2, 2014, 6:53 PM
Post #8 of 11 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
I lived in NJ and CT and regularly climbed in the Gunks for 30+ years. I'm *very* familiar with humidity.

Shrug...

Obviously normal differs. I do not use foot powders or sprays myself, not my my feet, not in my regular shoes, and not in my dance shoes.

I'd say that I know a fair number of climbers, but I only ever saw maybe couple people ever using some kind of Dr. Scholl stuff or baby powder.

None of the climbing shoe manufacturers recommend using such treatments, as far as i know. And interestingly, when I first started climbing, I had asked the gym owner (and a longtime climber) what kind of spray he was using on the rental shoes, thinking that I needed to get something like that for myself, and he told me that he would never use it on his own shoes, he was just spraying gym shoes with antibacterial spray, because so many people used them. Obviously, not gospel. Just evidence of opinion differences. Smile

LOL, the forums being so dead, I just might create a poll for this.

marc801

Apr 2, 2014, 9:25 PM
Post #9 of 11 (7558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Boot bananas are legit as f***, seriously. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Obviously normal differs. I do not use foot powders or sprays myself, not my my feet, not in my regular shoes, and not in my dance shoes.

Just to clarify, I only use an antibacterial/antifungal powder in my shoes, not aerosol sprays.

lena_chita wrote:
I'd say that I know a fair number of climbers, but I only ever saw maybe couple people ever using some kind of Dr. Scholl stuff or baby powder.
And those aren't antibacterial/fungal.

granite_grrl

Apr 3, 2014, 12:25 PM
Post #10 of 11 (7451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

No it's not.

Normal foot ware care is remembering that you left your climbing shoes in the trunk of your car during a hot day in July only because the car starts smelling like a gym bag.

And for the record, my shoes done't even smell that bad (at least in the world of climbing shoes).

sungam

Apr 8, 2014, 3:36 AM
Post #11 of 11 (7079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

M8 do u sweat so hard when you climb that it drips off your wrists and gets your chalk wet? I'm guessing that's why your shoes don't smell as bad as mine.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook