Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
Weekend Warrior
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 Next page Last page  View All

dagibbs

Mar 17, 2014, 2:55 AM
Post #1151 of 1159 (12959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Labour Day Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Beautiful March Weather= Fun climbing at the Gunks

Glad you got out. Still too cold up here, but I'm headed for the Red for a week starting Easter Weekend -- should be a good time. And, might be my opening climbing for the season, unless we really luck into some warm weather.

Gmburns2000

Mar 17, 2014, 3:16 AM
Post #1152 of 1159 (12957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Beautiful March Weather= Fun climbing at the Gunks

Spent all day Saturday climbing...got to the cliff at 830 AM (38 degrees) scrambled, slipped, slid through the ice all over the carriage road, set up a tarp on the snow (still about a foot on the ground, more in places, less in others) and did our first climb of the new year. We started on Eyebrow; a wandery 5.6 that ends up at the horseman rappel. It's a fun climb, hadn't been on it in years. My partner was feeling great so he put up Retribution...nice job Seth! I felt a little rusty but I cilmbed it well. One of these days I need to man up and lead it. We Tr'd Nosedive...does anyone else find the move to the ledge stupidly hard? Mitch joined us as we headed to the Gerdie Block, and then up to the No Picnic area and then back to Laurel. I think I managed 10 pitches (runing some laps on the Shit or Go Blind face and Laurel) on Saturday. We finished at 4, went into town and had dinner at Neko's. A totally and completely perfect Saturday. I felt great on the sharp end and I am looking forward to the upcoming climbing season.

you're a warrior Gail. You wouldn't catch me out in those conditions. Well done.

losbill

Mar 17, 2014, 6:49 PM
Post #1153 of 1159 (12930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like great fun Gail! Gyud on you for getting out! I am very jealous! I would have been out myself on Saturday but was battling a really nasty case of the flu. Best to Mitch!

gblauer

Mar 17, 2014, 6:53 PM
Post #1154 of 1159 (12924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Labour Day Weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill, Let me know when you want to climb. Would love to partner up again.

dagibbs

Apr 13, 2014, 2:23 AM
Post #1155 of 1159 (12805 views)
Shortcut

First outdoor day of spring (2014 edition) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I head out to Home Cliff with Jex and K8 (of the Red River Gorge crew), Bruce, and Helene and her two kids. I managed to forget my climbing shoes, so I lead the first three (easy) climbs in my hiking boots, and TRed a 4th that way.

Luckily Bruce's feet are a couple sizes bigger than mine, so I was able to borrow his shoes to lead a couple harder climbs (wearing socks in the shoes). I lead Piton Highway (5.7) and found it easier going than I expected (from previous memory, and from expecting to be out-of-shape since it is first day out), then was going to go after Peggy (also 5.7 but with a hard opening crux), but just before I got on it, somebody else headed up it. (It was a busy day out at the cliff, too.)

So, I hemmed and hawed a bit, then decided to try to lead Lavender (5.9 - I've only lead this clean once, and that was last season when I was in climbing shape). I got most of it completely clean, except couldn't finish the final crux section to the anchors at the top. I'm disappointed in not being able to finish it -- but happily surprised at how much of the rest of it I got clean, I'd expected to take a fall or two before that point. I'm also happy with how unworried I was about taking the lead falls (I took three) trying the top section -- I'm pretty sure I came off from not getting the moves, not from not committing to trying the moves.

Oh, and I bootied a nut from Lavender. It wasn't there when I climbed it last fall -- so a recent lost nut. It didn't take too much -- just bring a rock up with me as a hammer for my nut tool.

Gmburns2000

Apr 13, 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #1156 of 1159 (12799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] First outdoor day of spring (2014 edition) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
I head out to Home Cliff with Jex and K8 (of the Red River Gorge crew), Bruce, and Helene and her two kids. I managed to forget my climbing shoes, so I lead the first three (easy) climbs in my hiking boots, and TRed a 4th that way.

Luckily Bruce's feet are a couple sizes bigger than mine, so I was able to borrow his shoes to lead a couple harder climbs (wearing socks in the shoes). I lead Piton Highway (5.7) and found it easier going than I expected (from previous memory, and from expecting to be out-of-shape since it is first day out), then was going to go after Peggy (also 5.7 but with a hard opening crux), but just before I got on it, somebody else headed up it. (It was a busy day out at the cliff, too.)

So, I hemmed and hawed a bit, then decided to try to lead Lavender (5.9 - I've only lead this clean once, and that was last season when I was in climbing shape). I got most of it completely clean, except couldn't finish the final crux section to the anchors at the top. I'm disappointed in not being able to finish it -- but happily surprised at how much of the rest of it I got clean, I'd expected to take a fall or two before that point. I'm also happy with how unworried I was about taking the lead falls (I took three) trying the top section -- I'm pretty sure I came off from not getting the moves, not from not committing to trying the moves.

Oh, and I bootied a nut from Lavender. It wasn't there when I climbed it last fall -- so a recent lost nut. It didn't take too much -- just bring a rock up with me as a hammer for my nut tool.

The snow is melting up there? Nice that you got out.

dagibbs

Apr 13, 2014, 2:53 PM
Post #1157 of 1159 (12793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] First outdoor day of spring (2014 edition) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

The snow is melting up there? Nice that you got out.

Yes, it is. And Home Cliff is south-facing on a south-facing escarpment, so it is generally melted-out pretty early.

gblauer

Apr 14, 2014, 1:06 AM
Post #1158 of 1159 (12782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] First outdoor day of spring (2014 edition) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

We had a gorgeous Saturday at the Gunks...managed to get in 10 pitches ranging from 5.5 to 5.10c. Lots and lots of fun. I didn't climb on Sunday...had to head back home and get ready for Passover.

The season has begun!

sonso45

Apr 24, 2014, 3:31 PM
Post #1159 of 1159 (12673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] First outdoor day of spring (2014 edition) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You make it sound so enticing. Good work Gail!

Arizona is warming up a bit. In the 90s so we are headed to the mountains instead of the desert. Come visit again.

First page Previous page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook