Forums: Climbing Information: Accident and Incident Analysis:
13 Dead on Everest
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

 


Gmburns2000


Apr 18, 2014, 5:33 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15135

13 Dead on Everest
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wow. First off thoughts to the families and friends who lost someone in this terrible accident. The article below doesn't say anything more than it was due to an avalanche. I assume more will come out in time. It seems most of those who died were Sherpas.

Deadliest Accident


majid_sabet


Apr 18, 2014, 10:01 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1737 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8352

Re: [Gmburns2000] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Almost like the event on K2 few years ago where many got killed and a friend of mind barley escape .


USnavy


Apr 18, 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1634 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2660

Re: [majid_sabet] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
a friend of mind
Now I know you are lying.

RIP to all those up there.


Partner happiegrrrl


Apr 19, 2014, 4:28 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1605 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4614

Re: [USnavy] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The AAC is creating an ongoing fund to aid sherpa families who have had their men injured or killed. Just created, so more information will be coming. Find at
http://americanalpineclub.org/p/sherpa-support-fund


majid_sabet


Apr 19, 2014, 8:40 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8352

Re: [USnavy] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My friend was killed a year later in G2 but is an area where pussies like you never get a chance to see . Go back to your wall and climb and don't fall.


USnavy


Apr 19, 2014, 2:10 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1538 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2660

Re: [majid_sabet] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
My friend was killed a year later in G2 but is an area where pussies like you never get a chance to see . Go back to your wall and climb and don't fall.
hahah that's pretty funny considering I have climbed El Cap five times, Astroman, Rainbow Country (V 5.12d), and others similar, yet your most noteworthy climbs included 5.7 "adventure" trad routes and 5.11 gym climbs. Yea, Majid, you're the better climber of us two. You keep believing that.


Gmburns2000


Apr 19, 2014, 3:29 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1525 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15135

Re: [USnavy] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I totally should have put this Memorial or I/A.

Any mods still work here? There's 13 dead and we have a tick list growing.


lena_chita
Moderator

Apr 19, 2014, 4:07 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1514 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5662

Re: [Gmburns2000] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Moved the thread here, even though there isn't much to analyze. RIP, unnamed Sherpas.


TonyB3


Apr 19, 2014, 5:09 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 24, 2011
Posts: 32

Re: [USnavy] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
hahah that's pretty funny considering I have climbed El Cap five times, Astroman, Rainbow Country (V 5.12d), and others similar

None of which is anything special, although I'm sure your mother is impressed. Unfortunately for you there aren't enough routes to overcome you being a total douchebag.


majid_sabet


Apr 22, 2014, 9:48 AM
Post #10 of 13 (1197 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8352

Re: [Gmburns2000] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looks like Sherpas abandon this years expedition all together.


Gmburns2000


Apr 22, 2014, 11:54 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15135

Re: [majid_sabet] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Looks like Sherpas abandon this years expedition all together.

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for this? I know, it was a terrible accident, but I haven't been able to keep up with the other news surrounding this. Is it just out of respect? Or are they protesting something specific?


majid_sabet


Apr 23, 2014, 12:14 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1100 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8352

Re: [Gmburns2000] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Looks like Sherpas abandon this years expedition all together.

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for this? I know, it was a terrible accident, but I haven't been able to keep up with the other news surrounding this. Is it just out of respect? Or are they protesting something specific?


I'll be honest with you. The majority foreign climbers do not respect sherpas and they look at them like a diesel truck loading cargo up and down the mountain. Once a sherpa dies on the mountain, it brings bad luck and when many die on an event like this, this is a disaster cause sherpas are related to each other and you are talking familes been broken apart. I have many everest sherpa friends and climbed with few of them years back and I am scared of even emailing them now cause I do not even know I would get in respond so best things for base campers is to pack return homeand try to do everest later . I hope foreign climbers understand this cause when there are blood on the mountain, you just have to leave mother ( mother of all gods, Everest) alone.


(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Apr 23, 2014, 12:18 AM)


Gmburns2000


Apr 23, 2014, 5:31 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15135

Re: [majid_sabet] 13 Dead on Everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Looks like Sherpas abandon this years expedition all together.

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for this? I know, it was a terrible accident, but I haven't been able to keep up with the other news surrounding this. Is it just out of respect? Or are they protesting something specific?


I'll be honest with you. The majority foreign climbers do not respect sherpas and they look at them like a diesel truck loading cargo up and down the mountain. Once a sherpa dies on the mountain, it brings bad luck and when many die on an event like this, this is a disaster cause sherpas are related to each other and you are talking familes been broken apart. I have many everest sherpa friends and climbed with few of them years back and I am scared of even emailing them now cause I do not even know I would get in respond so best things for base campers is to pack return homeand try to do everest later . I hope foreign climbers understand this cause when there are blood on the mountain, you just have to leave mother ( mother of all gods, Everest) alone.

I read a little about this just yesterday. Seems like a combination of things. They're all hurting (rightly so) and need time to recover, but at the same time they're protesting wages, insurance, etc.. I hope they get what they want. Based on how people at base camp apparently are treating them for their decision to not climb, it seems those folks might be the least deserved to actually do so.


Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$193.46 (10% off)
$44.96 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$10.85 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook