Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Yosemite - February?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

TaraH

May 11, 2014, 5:06 AM
Post #1 of 5 (4015 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite - February?  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm going to be in the US in February 2015. I'm wondering whether it's too cold to climb and/camp in Yosemite when I'm there. Any advice? I'd love to climb so if it's a possibility I'll extend my trip to do so.

Cheers! Wink

marc801

May 11, 2014, 3:23 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TaraH] Yosemite - February? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TaraH wrote:
I'm going to be in the US in February 2015. I'm wondering whether it's too cold to climb and/camp in Yosemite when I'm there. Any advice? I'd love to climb so if it's a possibility I'll extend my trip to do so.
(all temperatures in F)
February
average high: 52
average low: 31
record high: 82
record low: 6
average precipitation: 6.9 inches

Since those are averages, I would not be at all surprised that, on a given trip, one might experience nights in the mid - low 20's and days struggling to get above 40. And you might be snowed on or drenched. "Too cold" of course depends on your tolerance, and you can certainly chase the sun. Days will be pretty short, too. People have certainly climbed in February, but it's hardly the season for it for most folks. The Valley is the only part of the park that's open then as well. Glacier Point and Tioga Roads are closed. You will be required to have tire chains in your vehicle and be prepared to use them. The hiking is often very limited due to snow. I hear that President's Day weekend can get crowded, but that's relative.

Will you be there with a partner? If not, finding one will be extremely difficult and unlikely. Camp 4 will likely be pretty desolate.

6 minute video - Visiting Yosemite in Winter:
http://www.nps.gov/...952-B0C201681DFCD324

[Edit to fix a poorly worded sentence.]

(This post was edited by marc801 on May 11, 2014, 5:05 PM)

csproul

May 13, 2014, 1:50 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is impossible to predict. It could be snowing, it could be awesome. I've had many quality climbing days in Feb. If it is not actively raining/snowing, there is almost certainly something worth climbing in the area.

amora

May 13, 2014, 4:23 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just there this February and it was cold. Dry, but cold. The nights got down to low 20's but the days were perfect on the North side of the valley with temps in the 60's. COLD, but fun if dry!

csproul

May 14, 2014, 12:47 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amora] Yosemite - February? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There days in Feb that I was climbing in a t-shirt. Cold nights and mornings, but downright hot in the sun.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook