RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

May 13, 2014, 5:04 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5019 views)
Shortcut

When is the best time of year to buy climbing gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking to buy some hardware. It isn't a particularly pressing need right now, so I figured I can wait until they go on sale. What is generally the best time of year to buy gear?

JimTitt

May 13, 2014, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] When is the best time of year to buy climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just before the old gear breaks/just after a new model comes on the shelves.

granite_grrl

May 13, 2014, 5:40 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] When is the best time of year to buy climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
Just before the old gear breaks/just after a new model comes on the shelves.

Yes, but newer models don't come out that frequently. It's not like bicycles or cars where every year they need to clear out last year's models to make room for next year's.

scienceguy288

May 13, 2014, 5:41 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] When is the best time of year to buy climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right, but are there seasonal cycles? For example, for winter apparel, the best time to buy is January because most people have already done their winter shopping and stores are gearing up for spring. Is there an equivalent seasonality to winter gear/particularly good seasonal sales at popular outlets (eg Backcountry etc)?

lena_chita

May 13, 2014, 5:46 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] When is the best time of year to buy climbing gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The best time is around holidays. Then you ask for the said gear as a present, and get it free.

Seriously though, just watch the prices. There are various websites that will send you notifications when the price of an item you are "watching" drops.

Or take advantage of various coupons that you get in the e-mail or mail, if you have previously bought stuff from some websites, or signed up for their newsletters. Or search online for coupon codes for specific websites.

JimTitt

May 13, 2014, 6:03 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scienceguy288 wrote:
Right, but are there seasonal cycles? For example, for winter apparel, the best time to buy is January because most people have already done their winter shopping and stores are gearing up for spring. Is there an equivalent seasonality to winter gear/particularly good seasonal sales at popular outlets (eg Backcountry etc)?

Well those were my criteria for buying rock climbing gear, to be honest I donīt buy any winter gear and donīt live in the USA either so not a lot of help!
Want to buy some bolts though Iīll give you a better deal around October as thatīs when business slackens off for the winter.

shockabuku

May 16, 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holidays = sales. Memorial day sales notices are already coming out from REI, Backcountry, Mountain Gear.

majid_sabet

May 20, 2014, 4:17 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing gear hold their values pretty well even used ones so if you are looking for new, you just have to search and normally 1-2 years NIB stuff are priced very reasonable. I was bidding on northface tent V25 model, new in box and still ,price was near getting off the store on the other hands, I bought 10 pairs madrock approach shoes for $25 a piece and three pair of Millet Expedition boots prices at $1000 for $250 each NIB.

ebay is where I shop

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook