Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

 


Partner Jeff
Owner

Jun 7, 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1255 views)
Shortcut

 
A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I made the following forums only accessible to logged-in users: Campground, Soapbox, Ladies Room, and Accident & Injury.

----

UPDATE: Actually, I made them accessible again--I realized I could just turn off the Adsense crawler from accessing the forum entirely, at least until I am triple-sure that we have no spam in here. So guests can still access the Ladies Room and A&I. I'll think about Campground and Soapbox as probably those should stay hidden.

----

A few months ago, our Adsense account got banned because of NSFW content in some old posts.

I've now spent 50+ hours cleaning up spam/adult content. The content fell into two categories: 1% were climbing-related questions in the Ladies Room--I left those, but to comply with Adsense policies moved the Ladies Room to members-only. The other 99% were somewhat crude campground/soap box posts from several years ago. I nuked those, and we don't need them on this site.

Long-term, I'd prefer the A&I and Ladies forums to be publicly visible as there's a lot of useful information in them. Ideally, we can just make specific threads members-only and open the rest of those two forums back up. However, in the near-term making those entire forums members-only is the safest way to make sure we comply with Adsense policies.

I doubt Campground/Soapbox will ever go back to public. There's a lot of friendly chit-chat, but there's also plenty of bashing that doesn't need to be encouraged.

More than happy to answer any questions via this thread or PM.

And if you come across any threads with spam or adult content, please flag them so I can either delete or if a valid climbing discussion, mark them for only logged-in members.


(This post was edited by Jeff on Jun 7, 2014, 3:17 PM)


sungam


Jun 7, 2014, 1:36 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1240 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26620

Re: [Jeff] A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Even though you probably just nuked over a thousand of my posts, you didn't shitcan the SWHA thread so it's all good.


Partner Jeff
Owner

Jun 7, 2014, 1:47 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1235 views)
Shortcut

 
Re: [sungam] A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Even though you probably just nuked over a thousand of my posts, you didn't shitcan the SWHA thread so it's all good.

Your username did appear more than once. Tongue


mojomonkey


Jun 9, 2014, 8:25 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Posts: 854

Re: [Jeff] A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have no interest in reading the Adsense policy - can you summarize what violates the policy? Specifically from the ladies room? You indicate there are topics that violate the policy that you felt should be left anyway. Scanning the topic titles there looks OK, though I'm not going to dig around to see what might be questionable.

What is this line people should be aware of?


granite_grrl


Jun 9, 2014, 10:11 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1174 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14903

Re: [mojomonkey] A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
I have no interest in reading the Adsense policy - can you summarize what violates the policy? Specifically from the ladies room? You indicate there are topics that violate the policy that you felt should be left anyway. Scanning the topic titles there looks OK, though I'm not going to dig around to see what might be questionable.

What is this line people should be aware of?

Jeff will have to give a full reply, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just mention of girl body parts and functions.

I remember one time trying to write a review for Patagonia Guide pants on their site. All I wanted to say was the zipper didn't extend far enough and it was really hard to use my freshette to pee when I'm out ice climbing. It took about 5 revisions to have their site accept my comment. Apparently peeing in the woods isn't something we should be discussing.


Partner Jeff
Owner

Jun 9, 2014, 11:51 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1168 views)
Shortcut

 
Re: [mojomonkey] A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
I have no interest in reading the Adsense policy - can you summarize what violates the policy? Specifically from the ladies room? You indicate there are topics that violate the policy that you felt should be left anyway. Scanning the topic titles there looks OK, though I'm not going to dig around to see what might be questionable.

What is this line people should be aware of?

Good question.

Here's an example thread that is a perfectly valid climbing question, but might trigger an adsense policy violation: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2460773

They check for violations using a bot that analyzes images/text for keywords and lots of skin in the image (among other things). So the above thread might set off a keyword detector because of the references to feminine body parts...

Right now, I'd say don't be too worried about violating their policies. As long as the topics stay climbing focused and the ladies room discussions stay in the ladies room, then we should be fine--I'll just not run adsense on the ladies room.

I care more about having good content/discussions than about maximizing monetization on every single post. If we have a healthy community, the monetization will do just fine.


(This post was edited by Jeff on Jun 9, 2014, 11:53 AM)


climbs4fun
Moderator

Jul 21, 2014, 3:06 PM
Post #7 of 8 (828 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 18, 2003
Posts: 9653

Re: [Jeff] A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jeff wrote:
I made the following forums only accessible to logged-in users: Campground, Soapbox, Ladies Room, and Accident & Injury.

----

UPDATE: Actually, I made them accessible again--I realized I could just turn off the Adsense crawler from accessing the forum entirely, at least until I am triple-sure that we have no spam in here. So guests can still access the Ladies Room and A&I. I'll think about Campground and Soapbox as probably those should stay hidden.

----

A few months ago, our Adsense account got banned because of NSFW content in some old posts.

I've now spent 50+ hours cleaning up spam/adult content. The content fell into two categories: 1% were climbing-related questions in the Ladies Room--I left those, but to comply with Adsense policies moved the Ladies Room to members-only. The other 99% were somewhat crude campground/soap box posts from several years ago. I nuked those, and we don't need them on this site.

Long-term, I'd prefer the A&I and Ladies forums to be publicly visible as there's a lot of useful information in them. Ideally, we can just make specific threads members-only and open the rest of those two forums back up. However, in the near-term making those entire forums members-only is the safest way to make sure we comply with Adsense policies.

I doubt Campground/Soapbox will ever go back to public. There's a lot of friendly chit-chat, but there's also plenty of bashing that doesn't need to be encouraged.

More than happy to answer any questions via this thread or PM.

And if you come across any threads with spam or adult content, please flag them so I can either delete or if a valid climbing discussion, mark them for only logged-in members.

I realize that this is an old post, but at one time, campground and soapbox were always reserved for logged in users. Most likely for that reason. I'm not sure when this changed


Partner Jeff
Owner

Jul 23, 2014, 6:35 PM
Post #8 of 8 (777 views)
Shortcut

 
Re: [climbs4fun] A couple of forums now only accessible to logged-in users [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Good to know.


Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook